The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

Hey!

Just wondering if anyone knows about the RVC and references. Do they need them? When do they ask for them? I know Surrey ask for them on application but I'm unsure about the RVC (and Bristol if anyone knows that!)
Original post by Vicky_pw
Hey!

Just wondering if anyone knows about the RVC and references. Do they need them? When do they ask for them? I know Surrey ask for them on application but I'm unsure about the RVC (and Bristol if anyone knows that!)

They ask for them at the interview

Work experience references/letters of recommendation. You only need to bring references to show the completion of 10 days (70 hours) of veterinary experience and 10 days (70 hours) in other animal environments. The letters should be on headed paper, should confirm the dates you were there and be signed by a senior member of staff

They ask for headed paper and signatures but last year I brought printed out email references and they were fine with it
Original post by Nessie162
They ask for them at the interview

[ul]
[li]Work experience references/letters of recommendation. You only need to bring references to show the completion of 10 days (70 hours) of veterinary experience and 10 days (70 hours) in other animal environments. The letters should be on headed paper, should confirm the dates you were there and be signed by a senior member of staff[/li]
[/ul]

They ask for headed paper and signatures but last year I brought printed out email references and they were fine with it

Ah okay thank you. So literally two references on headed paper would be fine?
I live in the middle east where there are no farms, or such. I can barely get any of the work exp done, bar small vet practices. What should I do?
Original post by bilakilla
I live in the middle east where there are no farms, or such. I can barely get any of the work exp done, bar small vet practices. What should I do?

I do believe at least some of the universities take location into account because of issues like yours but to be sure I would check with each individual admissions office as they will likely all have different policies and approaches.
I’m currently in year 11, 4/5 months away from GCSEs. If I do work experience now, will it count for my uni application? (Also thank you to @animalmagic - not really informed on how this website works!)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bilakilla
I’m currently in year 11, 4/5 months away from GCSEs. If I do work experience now, will it count for my uni application? (Also thank you to @animalmagic - not really informed on how this website works!)

Again, it will depend on the university, their policies all vary. Work experience is never wasted though even it it doesn’t count, you just need to keep doing some. Apart from lambing that needs to be done at Easter the summer holidays is often the best time to do some as then it doesn’t interfere with your school work! PS keep a diary/log of what you do while in work experience, you’ll find it invaluable when you come to apply and hopefully get interviews 😊
Also ask for written references if you can get them. Some unis want to see them (on headed paper if poss) as evidence.
Original post by tiny_tiger
Yep Ive been to a dairy farm in devon where they will put you up for peanuts, usually £100 for a week but that includes bed, breakfast, lunch, dinner, transport, drinks, all the snacks you want etc etc for 5 days/nights which is pretty reasonable!

Sorry for stalking you 11 years later, but by any chance if you're still on here, do you have the details for this farm so I can ask if they still do that? Thanks!
Possibly a silly question but would work experience in a hatchery count ?
I don't think you could count it as a core week but if all the normal placements are done then I think it would be an excellent and unusual "icing on the cake" placement as is an abattoir or laboratory. It might be the one that would be picked on to chat about at interview for example as it isn't a common thing to have done.

Original post by Mumofhopefulvet
Possibly a silly question but would work experience in a hatchery count ?
Thank you @animalmagic. What do you mean core weeks? She when she submitted application she had 102 hours small animal vet so 2 and a half weeks. 60 hrs lambing and another 20hrs dog walking for a local charity. Since then she helps out at a small goat dairy each week and has just signed up to volunteer at rspca dog walking for now but will hopefully lead to more. E-mails sent to numerous vets and farms. Just heard back as a yes for alpaca farm and animal park. Just gets so confusing. What she really needs is some more vet specifically large animal
Original post by animalmagic
I don't think you could count it as a core week but if all the normal placements are done then I think it would be an excellent and unusual "icing on the cake" placement as is an abattoir or laboratory. It might be the one that would be picked on to chat about at interview for example as it isn't a common thing to have done.
I would consider the core animal husbandry placements to be cattle(beef or dairy), lambing, dogs(or cats) and equine. I would consider abattoir/zoo/exotics/lab/pig/poultry to be very advantageous but not essential. Re vet experience I would recommend large animal or mixed practice experience ideally as well as at least two different small animal practices. Did you daughter apply this year? Does she have offers or is she re-applying? If you are not getting responses to emails try visiting and handing in a letter and CV FAO the practice manager. The universities do realise which placements are harder to come by than other and usually do make allowances, you just need to be sure she has met the minimum requirements for where she applies to.

Thank you @animalmagic. What do you mean core weeks? She when she submitted application she had 102 hours small animal vet so 2 and a half weeks. 60 hrs lambing and another 20hrs dog walking for a local charity. Since then she helps out at a small goat dairy each week and has just signed up to volunteer at rspca dog walking for now but will hopefully lead to more. E-mails sent to numerous vets and farms. Just heard back as a yes for alpaca farm and animal park. Just gets so confusing. What she really needs is some more vet specifically large animal
She will be a reapplicant next year. Rejected this year post interview at rvc and Surrey, pre interview 6 year Notts in March and rejected Bristol in March having been on hold since December. She has the w/e requirement 2 vet practices she is now working on getting those grades, loads of additional experience and improving her confidence.
I would consider the core animal husbandry placements to be cattle(beef or dairy), lambing, dogs(or cats) and equine. I would consider abattoir/zoo/exotics/lab/pig/poultry to be very advantageous but not essential. Re vet experience I would recommend large animal or mixed practice experience ideally as well as at least two different small animal practices. Did you daughter apply this year? Does she have offers or is she re-applying? If you are not getting responses to emails try visiting and handing in a letter and CV FAO the practice manager. The universities do realise which placements are harder to come by than other and usually do make allowances, you just need to be sure she has met the minimum requirements for where she applies to.
Perfect, she'll have learnt a lot from her interviews this year and as long as she gets the grades she'll be in an excellent position to get offers for next year :smile:

She will be a reapplicant next year. Rejected this year post interview at rvc and Surrey, pre interview 6 year Notts in March and rejected Bristol in March having been on hold since December. She has the w/e requirement 2 vet practices she is now working on getting those grades, loads of additional experience and improving her confidence.
Thank you and thank you for your advice. Fingers crossed 😊
Perfect, she'll have learnt a lot from her interviews this year and as long as she gets the grades she'll be in an excellent position to get offers for next year :smile:
Hello, I live in Dorset and would greatly appreciate any advice! If anybody knows of work experience in the area, or further away (particularly if there is cheap accommodation etc) i would be very interested !! I am especially looking for the more unusual placements to make my application stand out, but anything will be of value to me !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending