The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

wanderer
Probably get you a professorship too :wink:

Seriously, is such a notion such a big thing? It's pretty much bread and butter to me :s-smilie:
Reply 61
Oddjob39A
Seriously, is such a notion such a big thing? It's pretty much bread and butter to me :s-smilie:

It's the proof that would be revolutionary, not the notion.
RawJoh1
It's the proof that would be revolutionary, not the notion.

Well, I'm not just goina post that here now am I. It's like a den of vipers in here, you would all just steal it.............:wink:
hi!!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Reply 64
I'd say yes, my friend is going to uni next year to do German and philosophy, she's a Christian
Well yes but they are usually in the minority (at least from my experience)

And wanderer, do not forget some of the fantastic work that has come out of prize-winning fellowships: 'Good, is good.'
Reply 66
Oddjob39A

Proving conclusively that some belief-forming method creates beliefs closer to the truth than another method? Yep. People have tried. It's a lot harder than it sounds.

And Nina, there's only one answer to that: 'Bah, ethics.' :p:
Depends on what you consider the correct version of truth to be surely?
Reply 68
Nina
Well yes but they are usually in the minority (at least from my experience)

Aye, there are more than there used to be though. Quite often, a religious philosopher will write on non-religious areas of philosophy, so you simply won't know. I didn't find out that Van Inwegen is a Catholic, and that Harry Frankfurt is Jewish until pretty recently, for example.
Reply 69
Nina
Depends on what you consider the correct version of truth to be surely?

Hmm, not sure. I was thinking of classical/realist correspondence type stuff, but I can't imagine it's that much better for other types, although pragmatist-style stuff might get round it pretty much by definition (if truth is just what unhindered inquiry would result in, then unhindered inquiry will result in truth), though I'm not sure that actually works. For one thing there's a difference between 'the end of inquiry' and belief-forming in normal contexts.
Perhaps. I'm turning into quite the advocate for coherence.
Reply 71
Don't know much about it. I tend to confine myself to attacking correspondence or, preferably, deflationism.
wanderer
Proving conclusively that some belief-forming method creates beliefs closer to the truth than another method? Yep. People have tried. It's a lot harder than it sounds.

And Nina, there's only one answer to that: 'Bah, ethics.' :p:

I am quite unhinged, drunk and intrigued.....

Why is it NOT such a common-place acceptance that all beliefs/assumptions should be challenged? Surely the very nature of assumptions leads to the conclusive resolution that they are contingent and as such; should always be denied an irrefutable truth valuation, until proven otherwise? Why not deny all until verified otherwise? Surely that is common-sense rather than revolutionary epsitemology...... i.e. challenge every assumption and attempt to refute every proof/schema; is that not the scientific method? I appreciate that this is a stance similair to that adopted by Hume, but surely we can take it further?

I may be a little off track here but please forgive me; as I pointed out at the start of the post, I am quite incapicitated and quite literally 'thinking on my (drunk) feet'

I most assuredly guarantee that this post will make almost no sense upon reading it again in the morning (for myself at least).....
Its readable!

Wanderer isnt arguing that you should challenge assumptions, because you definitely should. But if I remember you were talking about giving proof, and giving proof for anything in philosophy is practically impossible.
Nina
Its readable!

Wanderer isnt arguing that you should challenge assumptions, because you definitely should. But if I remember you were talking about giving proof, and giving proof for anything in philosophy is practically impossible.

I'm sure it can be proven; somehow.
Its the proof that is the problem. I'd like to see someone try and prove anything at all in philosophy! Most of it just comes down to viewpoint in the end.
Reply 76
Hume of all people would be most likely to deny that you can demonstrate that a belief-forming method is conclusively effective. And the scientific method is not some clearly defined approach - some philosophers deny that there's any such thing, and others have vastly different views about what exactly it is.

My turn to be drunk.
wanderer
Hume of all people would be most likely to deny that you can demonstrate that a belief-forming method is conclusively effective. And the scientific method is not some clearly defined approach - some philosophers deny that there's any such thing, and others have vastly different views about what exactly it is.

My turn to be drunk.

Ah yes of course, I was having a blonde moment
Reply 78
Yes, absolutely. I'm a Christian and I did philosophy in my first year, and also did a module on the philosophy of religion as part of my RS degree. My friend- who is also a Christian- is doing a combined degree in politics and philosophy, and the staff-worker of UCCF (Universities Colleges Christian Fellowship- basically organises the CU's up and down the country) who works for Lancaster's CU holds a Masters in Philosophy.

Latest

Trending

Trending