The Student Room Group

Round the World travel.

Any advice on the best thing to do. Me and my friend listed lots countries we want to visit-but they are quite unusual and i havent seen them listed in some of the planned trips. Tokyo, Iceland, Athens, Delhi, Sydney, Auckland, New York. Anybody done anything like this? Any opinion appreciated. :smile:
Reply 1
Bare in mind you're visiting the major cities/attractions and won't really get to experience that much of the culture of the countries.

To save on money, i'd make sure your flights connect if it makes sense. I.e Probably wouldn't bother with Iceland.
If you take out Iceland you will find a rtw trip that covers that route.
Iceland is an awkward one, as far as I'm aware only 'Iceland Air' have flights to there (well thats what my geog teacher told us).
Reply 3
Yay! BOOKED MY TRIP!
It goes
London-Delhi-Singapore-Bangkok-Singapore-Tokyo-Sydney-Christchurch-Auckland-Fiji-Los Angeles-New York-London
:smile:
Reply 4
Whoa careful in Fiji! I didn't even know you could go there anymore! Hasn't there been a coup there quite recently?
Reply 5
i really don't know?!
How much was the ticket?
Reply 7
Tonheuru
Whoa careful in Fiji! I didn't even know you could go there anymore! Hasn't there been a coup there quite recently?

Sure has.
Reply 8
Tonheuru

The coup was sometime last year, I went in June and had the most amazing time ever!!!

Anyone going to Fiji, check out www.tribewanted.com and join the tribe- it's so awesome! Only £180 for a week, including all food (3 meals a day, plus CAKE (best cake in Fiji- officially the best cook in Fiji!!) twice a day) and accommodation... be part of an international tribe living along side a Fijian tribe, creating an ecologically friendly island... swim on the 3rd largest barrier reef in the world, off the coast of your island, eat fresh fish daily, spear fish, build traditional bures, dance the meke... basically have the best time you ever could in Fiji!!!!

xx
Reply 9
SixMinuteMile
How much was the ticket?

twas £1488 from those lovely people at Sta travel.
Krechie
twas £1488 from those lovely people at Sta travel.

can you choose how long to stay in each place or are the flights all for set dates?
Reply 11
SixMinuteMile
can you choose how long to stay in each place or are the flights all for set dates?

how ever long you want:smile:
Reply 12
why skip out Iceland? would've been relatively easy to get there, though the trip would have gone the other way round. iceland to new york and onwards from there.

besides, there are three companies that fly from the uk to iceland: british airways, icelandair and iceland express.
Reply 13
God, that sounds like a really nice trip..
Mines better! :smile:

London-Zambia-Kenya-Zambia-*Botswana-Zanzibar-Malawi-South Africa- Australia-Thailand

*cant remember the order
Reply 15
Sounds lovely. If I was to do a round the world trip, I would sail from England across the atlantic, through the panama canal, across the pacific, up through the Suez canal through the med and back home. A little too much for a gap year though :p:
Ooh I'm so jealous!! I'd definitely love to do a trip like that one day. I'd want to visit Iceland, New York, Rio De Janeiro, the Amazon, Los Angeles, Sydney, Great Barrier Reef, Tokyo, Thailand, Vanuatu, Hong Kong, GWO China, Taj Mahal area of India, Kenya, South Africa, Nepal, Morocco, Italy, Germany, France, Prague.

Looks like I've got some saving to do! :biggrin:
Reply 17
:smile: skipped out iceland well, because firstly sta travel said we couldnt then me and my boyfriend decided we wanted to do it together seperately :smile: shame though. really wanna go there
What kind of ticket did you buy? If you got it from a travel agent, chances are you could have got a "Round the world" ticket from Star Alliance or OneWorld (SkyTeam sucks and has no coverage in Africa or S. America so it's not included) cheaper if you'd just bought it direct.
Oh, I noticed your price. That's actually quite decent for 5 continents. I did a trip last summer for £2300 (keep in mind the ticket was bought with 2 weeks to go before departure :P)

Spoiler

Also had a few places (Washington D.C. for example) that were booked outside of the plane ticket rules. If you still want to go to Iceland you could try booking a cheap flight from one of your destinations, just reserve a few more days in that one.

Latest