The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Is it really worth worrying about statistics like this? Judging people on their background/race is pretty futile and small-minded, just get there and see what it's like. Last time I checked, Britain had a majority white population, so odds are that that will be true of the campus. Similarly, university costs thousands of pounds a term so again, you are more likely to run into people from a more priveliged background.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I'm not really sure why you're asking unless you want to meet people with similar ethnic backgrounds to you but I'll answer anyway. From what I've seen so far it is majority middle class, but that would be the same from most unis. In terms of the mix of ethnicities there are plenty of Indian/Pakistani/Chinese/Korean people around, but black people seem really under represented here.
Reply 3
Your on dodgy ground when you start to use "white middle class"

In Leeds there are wealthy people of all backgrounds and colours
Reply 4
What a silly thread. Talk about overgeneralising.
Reply 5
And one arrives :smile:
Reply 6
obviously there is going to be more white people as they are the majority of the population in the UK wherever which uni u go to
but some will have more ethinic minorities than others
i feel that if you are looking to go for a more diversity in race..try leeds met
whoever says that there is only going to be white, middle class people going to leeds uni is talking RUBBISH!
as there are grants from the governments which PAYS for the tutition fees which enables them to go to uni,despite their background!!
Reply 7
LeedsLad
And one arrives :smile:

So tell me. Do you get a free OAP bus pass to uni?
Jacket Potato
I went to Exeter uni and was surrounded entirely by white, middle class students. In terms of statistics, Leeds has a similar level of people from private schools and low numbers of people from the lower socio-economic groups. I HATED Exeter, am I wasting my time by going to Leeds or is it different?

go to manchester or birmingham instead then . . .and they're bigger cities (yes leedslad i know leeds has a population of 700k)

strange u should hate it OP .......location: kent/grammar school
FunkyGibbon
I'm not really sure why you're asking unless you want to meet people with similar ethnic backgrounds to you but I'll answer anyway. From what I've seen so far it is majority middle class, but that would be the same from most unis. In terms of the mix of ethnicities there are plenty of Indian/Pakistani/Chinese/Korean people around, but black people seem really under represented here.

international . . .kerching
FunkyGibbon
In terms of the mix of ethnicities there are plenty of Indian/Pakistani/Chinese/Korean people around, but black people seem really under represented here.

= no kerching
hermaphrodite
international . . .kerching

A rather cynical view, but probably not far from the truth.
Reply 12
hermaphrodite
strange u should hate it OP .......location: kent/grammar school

why make the assumption he went to a grammar school? plus the point is grammar schools aren't private institutions.. my grammar school had no fees you just had to be smart enough to pass the 11-plus.. which realistically if people aren't.. well ya know.
it says grammar school on her profile and i know how the grammar school system works and am also aware of the social demography of grammar schools.
xthatgurlx
whoever says that there is only going to be white, middle class people going to leeds uni is talking RUBBISH!
as there are grants from the governments which PAYS for the tutition fees which enables them to go to uni,despite their background!!

If you're referring to my post, I didn't say there was "only going to be", I said the majority would be, which I guarantee is true.
xthatgurlx
obviously there is going to be more white people as they are the majority of the population in the UK wherever which uni u go to

I think what the OP was trying to ask was why isn't the ethnic demography at leeds uni a true representation of the ethnic demography in HE (across all universities) in England or UK.

So for example if the ratio of caucasian:non caucasian at HE (in Eng or UK) is say 85:15 why isn't this reflected at Leeds Uni.

see if this link works or not
http://leedsstudent.lsrfm.com/images/archive/full/36/19/ls-17-03-06-02001.jpg
Because no city is the same? There are more asian people than black people in Leeds because the North of England tends to have a higher asian immigrant population. The reverse is true of the South, where more black families settled.
^^^agree with the above; but some cities (and universities)are comparable to some extent??

league tables at bham.leeds and manc are more or less similar.
the inner city schools do just as crap as each other. similarly they all have their local famous public schools (MGS, LGS, KE). similarly the cities have areas which are densely populated with/concentrated with ethnic minorities. (leeds= roundhay, greater manchester= oldham, birmingham = small heath). similarly they all have affluent middle class areas (usually situated in the outskirts).

birmingham city has it's fair share of ethnic minorities and this is reflected at the local red brick campus. alot of the asian students at bham uni are from bham and commute.

manchester city has it's fair share of ethnic minorities and this is also reflected at the local red brick university. alot of the asian students commute from manchester and greater manchester to uni

yet leeds can't attract the local asian students (one doesnt encourage positive discrimination on grounds of race, only on grounds of income) from roundhay or bradford.

someone started a similar thread on the sheffield uni page. check it out.

maybe when (UK born) asian and black students visit the uni they notice the campus is predominantly white and middle class and run a mile cos they're worried that they might feel like an outcast/have trouble making friends? i don't know. i've noticed that ethnic minority groups do cluster together with fellow minorities 80% of the time (be it for whatever reason)
Reply 18
I wouldn'tve thought it would be necessary to look at stats for Leeds. Leeds has over 70,000 students living in the city, you would've thought that would've equated to a diverse class representation through that figure alone?
Reply 19
hermaphrodite
it says grammar school on her profile and i know how the grammar school system works and am also aware of the social demography of grammar schools.

ah fair enough.. i am far too lazy to check details like that and well since being in leeds i've found that some grammar schools that people know of/have been to were private ones.. of which as a whole you'd expect a different type of person to go to!

Latest