The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

steve2006
1st of all its "Couldnt be arsed" not "asked" Get that straight mr 11A*

Actually, it's not. "Couldn't be asked" is the polite way of saying what you said. :p:
nope Arsed is correct. There is no such phrase that exists "Couldn't be asked". Seriously if i heard someone say that i would think thats retarted
steve2006
nope Arsed is correct. There is no such phrase that exists "Couldn't be arsed". Seriously if i heard someone say that i would think thats retarted

Err, you're contradicting yourself.
lol jus saw now
Reply 24
I think it’s very fair...

But to be honest, I can’t see why you’re moaning about it since you don’t have a university application depending on a higher grade.
Reply 25
steve2006
nope Arsed is correct. There is no such phrase that exists "Couldn't be asked". Seriously if i heard someone say that i would think thats retarted

Woah... My English isn't good enough apparently :s-smilie: Oh wait, it's coming from someone who thinks retarded is spelt with 2 "t"s, and who thinks 'There is no such phrase that exists "Couldn't be asked"' actually makes sense... Hmm... Funny how I don't believe 1 word of your argument so far.
ok sorry if i wasnt grammatically correct. heres what i meant to say:

"The phrase "Cannot be asked" does not exist. Whoever thinks that this phrase exists is experiencing persistently slow learning of basic motor and language skills also known as mental retardation which i think Zygroth is experiencing classic symptoms of "

Happy now. Lets get back to the OPs post now shall we
steve2006
People who tried really hard at AS and didnt do so good may deserve to get an A prediction when they got a C.

How does that one work? If they put the work in and still didn't get an A, they won't be able to achieve one at all. I can see why an A prediction might be suitable for someone with the ability who just didn't try hard, as it's possible for them to get an A with some work, but if they worked as hard as they can and still got a C, then they won't ever get the A, so it's pointless inflating their ego and predicting them an A.
Reply 28
Joanna May
How does that one work? If they put the work in and still didn't get an A, they won't be able to achieve one at all. I can see why an A prediction might be suitable for someone with the ability who just didn't try hard, as it's possible for them to get an A with some work, but if they worked as hard as they can and still got a C, then they won't ever get the A, so it's pointless inflating their ego and predicting them an A.

You could still put work in and not achieve your potential. It could be due to a bad exam day, a cold, choosing a particularly hard exam question, examiner marked the paper incorrectly... anything.

In one of my A levels, I got a C at AS, but then an A at A2. It's not because I didn't try as hard at AS. I put roughly the same amount of effort in both years. I had a combination of the above (although didn't get it remarked as it seemed the grade boundaries for that year had been ridiculously high).

:smile:
in history a guy who has been handing in A grade essays week in week out and even aces the AS mock ended up with a low C. The teacher predicted him an A as he worked hard in the year and had a bad day in the exam. He got AAAC
Yes. Grades often go down from As, also, GCSEs i think are quite irrelevant to how you will do, in As history i got average a C or D i think, with A*s in Hist, RE, Geog, English, Maths at GCSE, but a friend who got a C in history at gcse, got an A
Reply 31
Horseheadedfleshwizard
Hey, I was hoping to get some objective opinions on my predicted RS grade. I've been predicted B for A2 religious studies by my teacher, but i think i can achieve higher. In GCSE i got an a*, and my AS modules were AAC, with a B overall. I'm retaking the C in January, i messed up the exam terribly and only answered half the paper, so I'm hoping to go into A2 exams with an A. At the moment i'm on 235, so 5 marks away from an overall AS grade A. I'm interested to know who would agree/disagree with the prediction and why. Thanks!

sounds a bit harsh to me!
i got A* history but got C in AS. But my mate got an A at History and ended up getting 283 at AS. Gcse grades make u change ur work attitude
Reply 33
Its a bit harsh, BUT teachers are generally quite the authority - they have seen however many generations of students go through, so they might have an inkling to your skill level and limitations that you do not.

Still at the end of the day, take this negative, and turn it into a positive, prove them wrong, re-apply in your gap year and show them two fingers. This is pretty much what I did - maths as AS was a B 81/100, 76/100 85/100, knew i was better, teacher refused to predict me an A in october - in december she said she regretted it - cause i had put in the work and she knew i would do well in resits/new modules. Didn't drop below an A in two resits or any of the A2 modules.
Reply 34
Wow some of you guys are being harsh!!

To the OP, this has happened to many of my friends and sadly, there's nothing you can do about it except thank your lucky stars that your uni offers don't depend on the A prediction. Yes, I do think your teacher is being harsh - I mean, I have been predicted A's for everything (somehow even for the AS's I've been studying for all of 7 weeks! :biggrin: ) but in chemistry I am 7/8 marks off an A although I am retaking. Predictions are unfair because school's do them so differently but I think unis are aware of this. When I went to Royal Holloway they said they knew many schools do overpredict and I think probably particular schools build up a reputation for over/under predictions...they have lots of other things to go on so don't worry.

Woah... My English isn't good enough apparently Oh wait, it's coming from someone who thinks retarded is spelt with 2 "t"s, and who thinks 'There is no such phrase that exists "Couldn't be asked"' actually makes sense... Hmm... Funny how I don't believe 1 word of your argument so far.

And you are just the epitome of stuck-up imbeciles who think that 11 A*s and a couple of A's entitle them to belittle everyone else around them. Just because you might have found the whole system far beneath your overly infalted ego, you might spare a thought for those of us who have put in some effort and who get good grades and still manage to be vaguely humane and nice about it!! :mad:
Hispanic-Impressions
Teachers can be weird like that... I got AAA in Art at AS and 94% overall. Yet my teacher is still predicting me A/B... I know it sounds really petty, but it just made me wonder why. =/

:mad: That is so not fair, your capabilities were highlighted through your AS grade and getting 94% is an amazing achievement for anyone, so surely she can't doubt your capacity for getting an A!!!:mad:
bex_26797
:mad: That is so not fair, your capabilities were highlighted through your AS grade and getting 94% is an amazing achievement for anyone, so surely she can't doubt your capacity for getting an A!!!:mad:

Heh, no worries, I got her to change it in the end :wink:
Apparently she did it "just to be on the safe side." Also predicted my friend B/C/D which is .. pretty useless. :confused:

Latest