The Student Room Group

geog at Cam. Durham.

HI, I'm called Leila (Lorca's just a poet I like) I wondered if anyone knew much about studying Geography at Cambridge-I'm more leaning towards Human Geoegraphy than the Physical aspect. I'm particularly interestesd in Migration and population and sustainable Develpoment. For me, I confess, I always felt Literature was my forté as I love to read novels, poetry, anything but I felt that was self-indulgent so I thought Geography would make me more employable, more adaptable and be more mind-enhancing- I hope I'm right. I understand Human Geog is stronger at Cambridge and the maths isn't too hard....Are the travel opportunities god because I love travel!Well I'd be delighted to hear from anyone thinking of or applying to Cambridge or to do geography generally who can convince me that Geography is the right descision or illuminate the course for me. I'm also applying to Durham and Bristol so that information could be very useful too. Look forward to a discussion. leila
Reply 1
If you're looking for opinions then mine HAS to be; stick with the number one passion when choosing your course. To get to a top uni you have to convince them that you want to follow that one path at all costs, could you do that for geo?
If Lit is your thing go for Eng or Spanish (or combo etc). From a top uni those are extremely respectable degrees from an employers perspective. They are, granted, not vocational degrees but it doesn't sound like your geo choices are overly vocational either.
Reply 2
I applied to Oxford/Durham/Bristol as well for Geography as I thought that the Oxford course allowed you to focus more on the human aspect- Cambridge requiring Maths. I think Geography is a good degree to do- it's diverse and doesn't narrow your options regarding career paths but regardless of that, it's interesting (well mostly) and it's ever changing. I'd say go for it:smile:
Though whatever people say; I was rejected from both Bristol and Durham. Coincedence?
Well Leila Lorca - it's good to see you here!
How's things? :wink: TSR is great.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy it wherever you go - be it Cam, Durham, Bristol, RHUL or Reading... seriously - you've sent off the form, now just sit back and watch the offers roll in :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for that. Reassured me mostly. Vicci...I mean 'Bornunder Punches' that's very queer of you!I think geography will be fine-at Durham you can incorporate literature and other subjects which is nice, I'm a little perturbed by the mention of maths at Cambridge but hopefully it'll all be applied. I'm definately going to join the book club and (if I get into Cambridge) the expeditions society!! Thanks again
Leila
Reply 5
Geo123
I applied to Oxford/Durham/Bristol as well for Geography as I thought that the Oxford course allowed you to focus more on the human aspect- Cambridge requiring Maths. I think Geography is a good degree to do- it's diverse and doesn't narrow your options regarding career paths but regardless of that, it's interesting (well mostly) and it's ever changing. I'd say go for it:smile:
Though whatever people say; I was rejected from both Bristol and Durham. Coincedence?

my other choices are Royal Holloway and Reading by the way-Nottingham's too big, I wanted somewhere semi-rural and close to London
Leila Lorca
Thanks for that. Reassured me mostly. Vicci...I mean 'Bornunder Punches' that's very queer of you!I think geography will be fine-at Durham you can incorporate literature and other subjects which is nice, I'm a little perturbed by the mention of maths at Cambridge but hopefully it'll all be applied. I'm definitely going to join the book club and (if I get into Cambridge) the expeditions society!! Thanks again
Leila

You've looked up the societies? Aww...

You gonna be a full time TSR user now?

(Note: if you don't get that... check out the URL - T, S, R.co.uk, yeah?)

:smile:

:tsr2:
Reply 7
Geo123

YES :rolleyes:

Don't assume that you're so amazing that if Cambridge would take you in so would Bristol and Durham. You're just a piece of paper and on that paper people can see different things come out of it. Plus you have an interview at Cambridge, most Durham/Bristol applicants don't get interviews, so if you don't look good on paper but then do really well in the interview Cambridge would take you on, you don't get that chance with Durham or Bristol.

I applied to Cambridge and Durham. Durham gave me an offer. Coincidence? :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending