The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Pharmacy at the University of Huddersfield Q&A

Scroll to see replies

I will be going for pharmacy interview in Huddersfield university next month please could you tell me what to be expected on that day. What kind of interview are they having? Thanks
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
I will be going for pharmacy interview next month in Huddersfield university, Please what kind of interview am I to expect? Thanks
I will be going for pharmacy interview next month in Huddersfield university please could you tell me the type of interview they do.Thanks dear
hey how do Huddersfield teach the pharmacy course content do you get some sort of lesson packs?
Reply 44
Hi i have a question if that’s okay i was just wondering would i be able to transfer to pharmacy after doing pharmaceutical or medicinal chemistry after year 1
Reply 45
Sorry I’m posting abit late, but I’m thinking about applying for pharmacy an not sure what uni. Can u tell me how the course is mated out. How many exams would there be per year and is your grade all based of exams? Also how much marks do u need to progress to the next year
Original post by gomuninja830
I just finished my first year doing pharmacy at the Huddersfield. Any prospective students can feel free to ask me anything regarding the course or Huddersfield in general.

Hi
Do you know of any students who completed the science extended degree leading to a degree like pharmacy ?If so how is it in terms of difficulty?Would a student who hasnt taken a level science but Btec science struggle immensly in getting the 70% in each modules to progress further??
Original post by soaosaoid
Hi
Do you know of any students who completed the science extended degree leading to a degree like pharmacy ?If so how is it in terms of difficulty?Would a student who hasnt taken a level science but Btec science struggle immensly in getting the 70% in each modules to progress further??

Hi @soaosaoid I currently study pharmacy. I have not studied the SED however, there are some students in my year who applied to study pharmacy following the SED. After discussions with these students I found that the general consensus was that the SED prepared the students well for the pharmacy degree. They strongly recommended the SED as a stepping stone to pharmacy for example, the degree prepares you for future lab sessions and writing lab reports.

I hope this has been of some help and provided some insight into the SED.
If you need further support, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Aaliya ~ 3rd year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Hi everyone, my name is Aaliya I have just completed my third year of pharmacy at the University of Huddersfield.
Please don't hesitate to ask questions regarding the course or Huddersfield in general.

Original post by Pharm66
Sorry I’m posting abit late, but I’m thinking about applying for pharmacy an not sure what uni. Can u tell me how the course is mated out. How many exams would there be per year and is your grade all based of exams? Also how much marks do u need to progress to the next year

Hi @Pharm66
As a pharmacy student at the University of Huddersfield, I can certainly give you some insight to the MPharm at Huddersfield!
The duration of the course is 4 years, here is a breakdown of each year:

Year 1:

Core modules:
. Pharmacy Practice 1
. Pharmaceutical Chemistry
. Human Physiology and Pathology
. Formulation and Compounding of Medicines
. Scientific Basis of Drug Action

Exams:
. OSCE
. Calculations
. 5 written exams (1 per module)

Year 2:

Core modules:
. Pharmacy Practice 2
. Formulation and Pharmaceutics
. Medical Pharmacology
. Drug Synthesis Metabolism and Analysis
. Pharmaceutical Microbiology

Exams:
. OSCE
. Calculations
. 5 written exams (1 per module)

Year 3:

Core modules:
. Pharmacy Practice 3
. Molecular Pharmacology
. Research Methods and Skills
. Pharmaceutical Formulation and Drug Analysis

Exams:
. OSCE
. Calculations
. 3 written exams (Research Methods and Skills is the dissertation component)

Year 4/Final year:

Core modules:
. Pharmacy Practice 4
. Applied Therapeutics - Living with Medicines
. Drug Design and Development
. Precision Medicine

Exams:
. OSCE
. Calculations
. 4 written exams (1 per module)

Grades are based on written exams, essays, short tests, portfolios, and oral presentations.

Each module is worth a number of credits. Each year you study modules to the value of 120 credits, adding up to 480 credits in total for an Integrated Master's qualification. All modules are compulsory.
If you achieve 120 credits each year, you may progress to the next stage of your course, subject to any professional, statutory or regulatory body guidelines.

Hope this helps!

Original post by Masti00
Hi i have a question if that’s okay i was just wondering would i be able to transfer to pharmacy after doing pharmaceutical or medicinal chemistry after year 1

Hi @Masti00
That's a great question!
It may be best to contact the university admissions office - 01484 472 625 or [email protected] as they may have a better idea to your query.

Original post by sxira2091
hey how do Huddersfield teach the pharmacy course content do you get some sort of lesson packs?

Hi @sxira2091

The teaching year normally starts in September with breaks at Christmas and Easter, finishing with a main examination/assessment period around May/June.
The course has been organised to provide an opportunity to gain a solid foundation in pharmacy, focusing on evidence-based practice. There is the chance to take part in placement visits from the outset, and then in each subsequent year of study. These help to provide a valuable practical experience and the opportunity to learn alongside other healthcare professionals.

Based on 2020-2021 timetables, an average study time of 64.4% is spent with your tutors (either face to face or online) in lectures, workshops, practicals etc.
You will be taught through a series of lectures and workshops alongside laboratory practicals and practice visits, as well as directed personal study. Online learning will also be used which you will be able to access from any computer in your own time. Your progress will be assessed in written exams, essays, short tests, portfolios, and oral presentations.
Each module has a module specification/course handbook which provides full details of the assessment criteria applying to the course.

Original post by Udokajoy
I will be going for pharmacy interview next month in Huddersfield university, Please what kind of interview am I to expect? Thanks

I will be going for pharmacy interview in Huddersfield university next month please could you tell me what to be expected on that day. What kind of interview are they having? Thanks

Original post by Anonymous
I will be going for pharmacy interview next month in Huddersfield university please could you tell me the type of interview they do.Thanks dear

Hi!

As a current pharmacy student I'm answering this query for the benefit of prospective students.
It can be daunting and it is completely normal to feel nervous for an interview. I think it is really important to be yourself in the interview and show your enthusiasm for your subject area.
For me personally, I had a face-to-face interview along with a short maths and science exam- this may have changed due to COVID-19 regulations.
Just remember to have a positive mindset and show your passion for you desired course.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending