The Student Room Group

Geography 2018 - Applicants' Thread

Geography
2018 Applicants Thread

Welcome to the 2018 Geography Applicants Thread! This is a discussion thread for those of you applying to Geography courses for 2018 Entry.

You may want to leave your details here using the following format:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

Reply 2
Hi taken Advanced Higher Statistics, of Geography, Mathematics. AAAAA in highers looking at doing BSc geography in Scotland. Current to choice St Andrews. Any advice on Scottish unis for Geography also looking to apply for Aberdeen.
Hey all, I've filled up 4 out of 5 universities on UCAS but I'm unsure about the 5th, I'm wondering if people could help me out?
Requirements:

-AAB/ABB
-Non-campus (or at least, a campus very close to a city)
-Geography degree with a mixture of human and physical (ie, either a combined BSC/BA or the BSC has human modules or the BA has physical modules etc.)
-3 year course

I already have Newcastle (it's AAB, non-campus, good degree mix and 3 years) but I cannot find any others. Kings College and Queens College also tick the boxes but I don't like their locaiton. Any others ? :smile:

I know it's very picky and fussy, but I want to make sure I'll like the uni :wink:
What others have you applied to? Birmingham is AAB and in the city, as well as Liverpool.
Original post by Liamoc208
What others have you applied to? Birmingham is AAB and in the city, as well as Liverpool.

Birmingham, that's a good shout. Thanks :smile:

I am currently going to apply to Oxford, LSE, Newcastle, and Bristol.

Oxford and Bristol are for definite, 85% sure Newcastle is too.
Unsure about LSE; although the geography degree is on the exact things I am interested in and its very prestigious, idk about the student satisfaction/workload/ 'fun', not to mention the fact that it is really competitive and I probably won't get in!

What about yourself? If I were you I'd work hard to try and get the best grades you can get (A*AA?) and put one really good uni in, one 'fall back' uni, and the rest matching what you'll think you'll get (AAB)
(edited 6 years ago)
Yea sounds like a good idea in terms of choosing the Uni's. I am only going to apply to campus universities, and really want to do a year abroad, especially as the degree is geography. The annoying thing is that you have to narrow the choices down to just 2 later in the year. I may be forced to have a university such as Reading (BBB) as insurance, as I really want to go to uni next year. Geography with Business at Nottingham is likely my favourite course, closely followed by Geography and Economics at Lancaster/Leeds. Trying to get the balance with what I know I can achieve, grades wise, and going to a decent university... Did you do AS exams? Went to Bristol with school on University trip - Very nice.
Hiya! :biggrin:
- I take geography, biology and chemistry. I also took maths to AS but I think I'm gonna drop it (don't know for sure yet)

- I'm looking into applying to Nottingham, Birmingham, Sheffield and Manchester. I don't have a clue for my 5th choice at the minute :colondollar:

- I want to do the BSc course but with a bit of human geography too cos I really loved everything about the urban environments topic in year 12.

Have you all done your personal statement? I've only done 1500 characters of mine and am so stuck 😂 It's so awkward to write and I feel like I've got nothing good to put :colondollar::colondollar:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi I want to apply foe a geography BA at uni, (so a course that's more human geography)Only thing is i'm not doing geog at A-level but there are uni's like LSE and Exeter that dont reqire it at a level.I've always found topics in human geogrpay interesting but never really pursued itI was just wondering if any of you think that its stupid to apply for it even if I haven't done it at A-level? There's no other degrees that really appeal to me.Thanks
A Levels taken: Reapplying and Retaking, Achieved A (Sociology) B (Geography) and C (Business). Retaking B and C grade
Courses applied for:
Manchester (Geography BA)
York (Human Geography and Environment)
Birmingham (Geography BA)
Newcastle (Geography and Planning)
Liverpool (Geography BA)

Application outcomes:
Manchester - Emailed to get a copy of Sociology A Grade certificate
York/Birmingham/Newcastle - Acknowledgement email
Liverpool - Unconditional offer:biggrin:
Original post by hendyrix
Hi I want to apply foe a geography BA at uni, (so a course that's more human geography)Only thing is i'm not doing geog at A-level but there are uni's like LSE and Exeter that dont reqire it at a level.I've always found topics in human geogrpay interesting but never really pursued itI was just wondering if any of you think that its stupid to apply for it even if I haven't done it at A-level? There's no other degrees that really appeal to me.Thanks

Since geography is so broad, they don't really mind what A levels you do. However if you've done all science A levels, and want to apply for the BA (or vv for the BSc), that's when they'll 'look down' upon you
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by lukerules1234
Since geography is so broad, they don't really mind what A levels you do. However if you've done all science A levels, and want to apply for the BA (or vv for the BSc), that's when they'll 'look down' upon you

Ah ok thanks for clearing that up, to be honest that's another reason why i want to do geography, because there's so many other disciplines within it
Original post by hendyrix
Ah ok thanks for clearing that up, to be honest that's another reason why i want to do geography, because there's so many other disciplines within it

That's why we luv it :biggrin:
Original post by animallover1999
- I take geography, biology and chemistry. I also took maths to AS but I think I'm gonna drop it (don't know for sure yet)

- I'm looking into applying to Nottingham, Birmingham, Sheffield and Manchester. I don't have a clue for my 5th choice at the minute :colondollar:

- I want to do the BSc course but with a bit of human geography too cos I really loved everything about the urban environments topic in year 12.

Have you all done your personal statement? I've only done 1500 characters of mine and am so stuck 😂 It's so awkward to write and I feel like I've got nothing good to put :colondollar::colondollar:

i'm applying to sheffield too! i'd suggest somewhere like york, leeds, exeter for a fifth choice, the courses look good and the cities are really nice.

it took me a while to do my personal statement but i looked around online for whats best to put in. since i'm on a gap year at the moment i talked about my work experience and books i've read/am reading to stay updated on geography. i also talked about what i like the most about geography and why it is so important today:h:

Hey! I would maybe choose Liverpool! The universities you've chosen are al very good but require quite high and similar grades. Liverpool is still an exceptionally good university and is a rg, but requires ABB - its always good to have a back up I think!

For the personal statement, I would suggest mentioning any fieldwork/geography trips/projects you have done so far for A level geography. Its good to mention your favourite topics that you've covered, and also ive heard its good to link your A level subjects to yoour chosen course (only if they directly relate though). Like the person above said, I also would recommend talking about any work experience you've been involved with alongside any extra reading, to try and make yourself stand out!

Goodluck!:smile:
I’ve applied to Cambridge, Southampton, Loughborough and Northumbria and had the acknowledgement emails from all and SAQ from Cambridge

Anyone heard anything from any of these?
Original post by mayonepp
i'm applying to sheffield too! i'd suggest somewhere like york, leeds, exeter for a fifth choice, the courses look good and the cities are really nice.

it took me a while to do my personal statement but i looked around online for whats best to put in. since i'm on a gap year at the moment i talked about my work experience and books i've read/am reading to stay updated on geography. i also talked about what i like the most about geography and why it is so important today:h:

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll have a look at them :h: Sheffield is one of my favourites- where else are you applying to?
Thanks for the tips on the personal statement- I've just finished my first draft and am editing it so will take them into account.
:smile::smile:
Original post by bennp1999
Hey! I would maybe choose Liverpool! The universities you've chosen are al very good but require quite high and similar grades. Liverpool is still an exceptionally good university and is a rg, but requires ABB - its always good to have a back up I think!

For the personal statement, I would suggest mentioning any fieldwork/geography trips/projects you have done so far for A level geography. Its good to mention your favourite topics that you've covered, and also ive heard its good to link your A level subjects to yoour chosen course (only if they directly relate though). Like the person above said, I also would recommend talking about any work experience you've been involved with alongside any extra reading, to try and make yourself stand out!

Goodluck!:smile:

Hi! Thanks, I'll have a look at Liverpool. It does worry me how all my choices have the same requirements so it would be good to have a back up! :smile::h: Congrats on your unconditional offer from Liverpool! :biggrin:
Thank you for the tips! I'm editing my personal statement at the moment- so stressful!
Thank you for the suggestions! I'll have a look at them :h: Sheffield is one of my favourites- where else are you applying to?
Thanks for the tips on the personal statement- I've just finished my first draft and am editing it so will take them into account.
:smile::smile:

i'm applying to York, Exeter, Leeds and Liverpool (as well as Sheffield) so that's why I suggested them since I thought they were good :smile:
Hey! Nice options, similar to mine except Exeter and Sheffield :smile: What course are you applying to for York?

Original post by mayonepp
i'm applying to York, Exeter, Leeds and Liverpool (as well as Sheffield) so that's why I suggested them since I thought they were good :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending