The Student Room Group

Difference between A level maths (mechanics and statistics)

Do you do both and how does a level maths work? Confused 🤷*♀️ af currently. Help appreciated

Scroll to see replies

If you start in 2017 you'll be doing new spec so yeah you have to do some mechanics and stats (about 1/6th each) and then 2/3rds core maths.
So the mechanics branch of mathematics borrows heavily from kinematics in physics. It deals with the motion of objects really using Newton's laws.
The content for M1 is mostly GCSE maths so it should be pretty simple to pick up.

Statistics on the other hands covers a branch of maths covering interpretation and representing numbers and data collected from the world. This can include things such as a correlation and as to whether or not is significant enough to matter.

edit: misread your question completely!
Most people do both as they count as the applied mathematics modules for your A level which consists of 4 core modules and 2 applied modules
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 0xFFFFail
So the mechanics branch of mathematics borrows heavily from kinematics in physics. It deals with the motion of objects really using Newton's laws.
The content for M1 is mostly GCSE maths so it should be pretty simple to pick up.

It is not GCSE standard or it would not be called A level ...
Maths doesn't borrow from Physics - Physics is a small branch of applied maths!
Original post by Muttley79
It is not GCSE standard or it would not be called A level ...
Maths doesn't borrow from Physics - Physics is a small branch of applied maths!

Having just done M1 I can tell you the vast majority of it is just applying basic trig so really it is GCSE standard.

You're correct here as I personally associate mechanics with physics rather with maths
Having just done M1 I can tell you the vast majority of it is just applying basic trig so really it is GCSE standard.

You're correct here as I personally associate mechanics with physics rather with maths

The techniques of application are A level - the computation is not difficult but that is not what mechanics is about! Please don/t mislead people as many struggle with some of the ideas.
Original post by black1blade
If you start in 2017 you'll be doing new spec so yeah you have to do some mechanics and stats (about 1/6th each) and then 2/3rds core maths.

That helps thanks 🙏🏼

Statistics on the other hands covers a branch of maths covering interpretation and representing numbers and data collected from the world. This can include things such as a correlation and as to whether or not is significant enough to matter.

edit: misread your question completely!
Most people do both as they count as the applied mathematics modules for your A level which consists of 4 core modules and 2 applied modules

So you do c1 and c2 first year with m1 and c3 and c4 with s1 in the second year. I have no idea what I'm talking about but please correct me. Thanks anyway 🙏🏼
The techniques of application are A level - the computation is not difficult but that is not what mechanics is about! Please don/t mislead people as many struggle with some of the ideas.

The vast majority is just rearranging and substitution with a well drawn diagram no? I realise the parts with calculus require some A level techniques but the aforementioned are studied at GCSE.

Original post by 8Greenorange
So you do c1 and c2 first year with m1 and c3 and c4 with s1 in the second year. I have no idea what I'm talking about but please correct me. Thanks anyway 🙏🏼

Depending on how your school does it (mine did S1 first year) that sounds correct :smile:
You need to do resolving force vectors and you get introduced to a few new concepts like friction but a lot of it is gcse stuff.

There are no modules in the 2017 spec.
You need to do resolving force vectors and you get introduced to a few new concepts like friction but a lot of it is gcse stuff.

You have not studied the NEW A level - please stop giving false information.
You have not studied the NEW A level - please stop giving false information.

I more meant the concepts like force, acceleration ect and yeah looking at new spec, there are a few new things for ocr that aren't in m1 like using vector notation.
Reply 13

Not exactly. For the old A level, i think you had a choice of any two from M1, M2, S1, S2, D1 or D2.

But now you have to do both stats and mech over two years. So think of it like you do S1 over two years and M1 over two years.
Original post by Desmos
Not exactly. For the old A level, i think you had a choice of any two from M1, M2, S1, S2, D1 or D2.

But now you have to do both stats and mech over two years. So think of it like you do S1 over two years and M1 over two years.

Well it's up to each school how to each it especially if they aren't doing as level. You would have to teach certain core topics before doing applied although I guess it's always been like that.
Do you do both and how does a level maths work? Confused 🤷*♀️ af currently. Help appreciated

Don't worry about mechanics, a lot of people at my school found it difficult at first but the questions are really repetitive. I'm not sure how the new spec works but there's only a few topics and the same questions are asked every year pretty much. There's only so many ways that a ball/train etc can move and you apply the same maths each time.
I more meant the concepts like force, acceleration ect and yeah looking at new spec, there are a few new things for ocr that aren't in m1 like using vector notation.

using vector notation was already in OCR M1 if I remember correctly, it was optional to use I think
using vector notation was already in OCR M1 if I remember correctly, it was optional to use I think

I'm sure you can use it and your teacher may well have but it's not on the spec.
Original post by bonnie_x
Don't worry about mechanics, a lot of people at my school found it difficult at first but the questions are really repetitive. I'm not sure how the new spec works but there's only a few topics and the same questions are asked every year pretty much. There's only so many ways that a ball/train etc can move and you apply the same maths each time.

I found mechanics 1 to be the hardest modules honestly. Like on paper I feel it's pretty easy but the questions are quite challenging.
Ok ,, New spec so there are no modules, You have two papers in end of your first year One is Pure maths (containing c1 and c2 stuff from the old spec) and another paper is Stats And Mechanics.
No more modules.

And then as this is now linear, you sit 3 papers in the second year, Pure Maths 1 (c1 and C2) Pure Maths 2 (C3 and C4) and then Stats and mechanics.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest