The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "I failed my driving test!" Thread (Mk. III)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
never thought I would be posting here
Reply 21
Failed my first attempt today.
1 major ZERO minors!

Literally the first 2 minutes of the test, got to the end of the road and I stupidly came out a little too fast instead of creeping forward. Car approaching, that I couldn’t see because of parked cars had to slow down. HOWEVER, I had already used my brakes and wasn’t actually in the path of the car. But still, my error, no one to blame but myself.

Examiner said she was gutted she had to fail me because I’d literally driven perfectly after that.

Half of me is really annoyed because if it hadn’t been for that stupid error, I’d have passed with literal flying colours. Other half of me still feels quite happy. The fact I got zero minors has reassured most of my doubts in my ability to drive. I’ll definitely be less nervous next time and hopefully won’t do something silly that I 100% know better than to do. Worst part for me is the wait from now to the next available date.

Oh well. Fingers crossed for next time.
Original post by LaceAri
1 major ZERO minors!

Literally the first 2 minutes of the test, got to the end of the road and I stupidly came out a little too fast instead of creeping forward. Car approaching, that I couldn’t see because of parked cars had to slow down. HOWEVER, I had already used my brakes and wasn’t actually in the path of the car. But still, my error, no one to blame but myself.

Examiner said she was gutted she had to fail me because I’d literally driven perfectly after that.

Half of me is really annoyed because if it hadn’t been for that stupid error, I’d have passed with literal flying colours. Other half of me still feels quite happy. The fact I got zero minors has reassured most of my doubts in my ability to drive. I’ll definitely be less nervous next time and hopefully won’t do something silly that I 100% know better than to do. Worst part for me is the wait from now to the next available date.

How unlucky! :frown: With 0 minors as well.

And at least you acknowledge where you went wrong; I'm sure next time it'll be a pass :h:

Good luck with the next test!
Reply 23
Original post by LaceAri
1 major ZERO minors!

Literally the same, picked up my fatal major 30 seconds in - 1 major, though I had 1 minor - sounds like you gave a fantastic performance, especially if your examiner STILL sung your praises afterwards. Mine was nice as pie in the test and then, as she announced to me that I hadn't passed, made a huge song and dance about the mistake before dashing out the car.

Good luck for next time! Glad somebody else shares my experience.
wow i just failed today, i was in the right lane on a duel carriage way and moved to the left, i was checking over both of my shoulders, but i seemed to have missed a car that my examiner didnt ! always next time haha
1 major, 3 minors
Original post by a-spiringmedic
wow i just failed today, i was in the right lane on a duel carriage way and moved to the left, i was checking over both of my shoulders, but i seemed to have missed a car that my examiner didnt ! always next time haha
1 major, 3 minors

That'll happen if you move over too fast, I've had cars come out of nowhere before too.
Reply 26
I have failed 3 times now 😐

1st time was totally down to nerves. Came out of the test centre and rolled into oncoming traffic! Pulled myself together and completed the rest of the test with 5 minors

2nd time I had an almost perfect run until I came to a blocked up roundabout. There were cars waiting on the roundabout and as I edged forward into a gap some idiot decided to jump out into front of me and the examiner hit the brakes before I got to them. He was really gutted for me but had to fail me for it

3rd time I had lost my confidence and managed to rack up a few hesitancy marks on roundabouts resulting in a major!

My last test was October 2016 and I'm booked for my next test in March
I feel a lot more confident this time around though so fingers crossed. After all the money I've spent there is no way I'm giving up now!
Original post by Elma91
I have failed 3 times now 😐

1st time was totally down to nerves. Came out of the test centre and rolled into oncoming traffic! Pulled myself together and completed the rest of the test with 5 minors

2nd time I had an almost perfect run until I came to a blocked up roundabout. There were cars waiting on the roundabout and as I edged forward into a gap some idiot decided to jump out into front of me and the examiner hit the brakes before I got to them. He was really gutted for me but had to fail me for it

3rd time I had lost my confidence and managed to rack up a few hesitancy marks on roundabouts resulting in a major!

My last test was October 2016 and I'm booked for my next test in March
I feel a lot more confident this time around though so fingers crossed. After all the money I've spent there is no way I'm giving up now!

There's only one way you can learn, and that's from mistakes! Hopefully, next time you'll get your shiny pink licence.

Good luck with your next test :smile:
Reply 28
Failed my first test just before Christmas and haven't been in the driver's seat of a car since. It destroyed me, I simply cannot handle public humiliation. I got 0 minors, it was an absolutely perfect test, then right at the end, literally 200m away from the test centre, I made a really stupid mistake meeting traffic and the examiner had to brake. It was SO humiliating and I was suicidal for days afterwards.

I said I would never get in the driver's seat of a car again, but the inconvenience of public transport is killing me, so I'm starting lessons again next Thursday. This time, I'm not telling ANYONE. I can't deal with the humiliation of having to tell everyone I failed again. If I pass, I can surprise people!

I'm really scared to start driving again. I'm going to ask my instructor to let me take it slowly and ease myself back into it.
Reply 29
Original post by RoyalSheepy
There's only one way you can learn, and that's from mistakes! Hopefully, next time you'll get your shiny pink licence.

Good luck with your next test :smile:

Thank you
I failed in the first minute of my test, because of some idiot who couldn't hear a car a metre away from him, in a quiet car park.

Let me explain: Im driving out the car park at the Mill Hill test centre. I see this guy walking towards trying to cut me, I slow down the car and when I realise that he's not trying to avoid me, I stop the car. First of all I am in easily in his peripheral vision, second he can definitely hear the car and he did not care. Surely the fact that I slowed down and then stopped can't constitute a Major fail, I was in no way near to hitting him with the car. I only got 5 minors so like WTF.

I'm depressed now, have been crying every so often and have mocks next week which I have been unable to revise for due to my misery, and the fact that I was preparing for my driving test.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Grespino
I failed in the first minute of my test, because of some idiot who couldn't hear a car a metre away from him, in a quiet car park.

Let me explain: Im driving out the car park at the Mill Hill test centre. I see this guy walking towards trying to cut me, I slow down the car and when I realise that he's not trying to avoid me, I stop the car. First of all I am in easily in his peripheral vision, second he can definitely hear the car and he did not care. Surely the fact that I slowed down and then stopped can't constitute a Major fail, I was in no way near to hitting him with the car. I only got 5 minors so like WTF.

I'm depressed now, have been crying every so often and have mocks next week which I have been unable to revise for due to my misery, and the fact that I was preparing for my driving test.

It's a harsh serious, but you should have immediately stopped, not slowed. You wouldn't have failed if you'd just stopped the car and said to the examiner "I'm going to wait for this guy to cross, I haven't stopped anywhere dangerous" Also, by the sounds of it you failed to use your horn, it's there to let other people on the road know you're there (which is actually the only officially sanctioned use of it in the HWC). Remember, an examiner has no idea what your planning/awareness levels are at or the skill of your driving. In your mind - you were never going to hit him, and probably wouldn't off, in your examiner's mind "is he ever going to stop this car?". Remember that most car parks are also 5-10mph, there isn't a lot you could have slowed down to in the first place without stopping.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nevershear
It's a harsh serious, but you should have immediately stopped, not slowed. You wouldn't have failed if you'd just stopped the car and said to the examiner "I'm going to wait for this guy to cross, I haven't stopped anywhere dangerous" Also, by the sounds of it you failed to use your horn, it's there to let other people on the road know you're there (which is actually the only officially sanctioned use of it in the HWC). Remember, an examiner has no idea what your planning/awareness levels are at or the skill of your driving. In your mind - you were never going to hit him, and probably wouldn't off, in your examiner's mind "is he ever going to stop this car?". Remember that most car parks are also 5-10mph, there isn't a lot you could have slowed down to in the first place without stopping.

Valid reasoning - Although hooting will get you beaten up in central London
(edited 6 years ago)
Valid reasoning - Although hooting will get you beaten up in central London

It'll get you stabbed in West London :biggrin:
Took my first test today and failed with 2 majors and 5 minors, not really bothered, but anyways both majors came in minutes of each other. I was taking my test where I live, Barnet, and I cant lie, my examiner was extremely helpful, although I don't think I was necessarily doing things wrong, he was telling me when to slow down etc (I know they aren't supposed to do that but he was taking me to places I haven't drove before and not that it means I wouldn't know what to do, but lanes were very confusing).

Anyways the 2 majors were that I stalled on a hill start, it was annoying as the lights were red so I had stopped put it into neutral and put on the handbrake and as soon as I had done that, the lights turned green so I rushed to find the biting point with a bit of gas anyways I think it would've only been a minor however I was overtaken by other cars which I believe made it a major. I even said to the examiner its annoying as I know what I did, its not as though I had forgotten and he even said to me im sure you know what that means, but anyways we carried on, just as we started going up the hill we pulled over so I could do another hill start which I did fine which made me think maybe the stall wasn't a fail and I know that sometimes things you may think are a major are actually a minor, anyways literally seconds later some guy crossed the road from the right side to an island in the middle, stayed there for abit so i maintained my speed, as I got closer I let my foot of the gas in case he ran across which he did indeed and the examiner slammed on the brakes, yes maybe I left it a bit late, however I was more than prepared to stop. Apart from that it was a pretty nice drive, examiner said that I was extremely unlucky as both majors came on the same steep hill and if we had got there a few seconds later/earlier there would have been no problem.

Its the way it goes sometimes, you can't control other road users so all you can do is drive as safe as possible and react accordingly. I personally wouldn't have gave you a minor for what you described but the examiner is covering their own back and really want a flawless session. Also Mill Hill and Hendon is known for being a harsh test centre. The Borehamwood one has a easier pass rate.

I found some reading material and a video that might help you. Good luck :smile:

[video="youtube;73rVQNiA5g4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73rVQNiA5g4[/video]

Driving Theory Test Guide: http://PassYourTheoryTestGuide.co.uk
Reply 36
Failed for the second time today :frown:

The first time, I failed on bay parking, no serious or dangerous faults. I was really nervous but happy on my driving as I had no serious faults.

The second time, I failed within the first 30 seconds because my car rolled back for a second as I was exiting the test center(the exit is slightly raised probably to throw all of the new learners off guard). Also, I don't think its fair to us learners to fail because of some other idiot on the road that doesn't drive properly. I know we have to drive safe but sometimes other drivers in the road don't use signals, or are in the wrong lane or speed up even in 20mph lanes, that we end up getting marked down for our "safe/unsafe" judgment. But for now, I'm just bummed. :frown:
Original post by Nana_
Failed for the second time today :frown:

The first time, I failed on bay parking, no serious or dangerous faults. I was really nervous but happy on my driving as I had no serious faults.

The second time, I failed within the first 30 seconds because my car rolled back for a second as I was exiting the test center(the exit is slightly raised probably to throw all of the new learners off guard). Also, I don't think its fair to us learners to fail because of some other idiot on the road that doesn't drive properly. I know we have to drive safe but sometimes other drivers in the road don't use signals, or are in the wrong lane or speed up even in 20mph lanes, that we end up getting marked down for our "safe/unsafe" judgment. But for now, I'm just bummed. :frown:

Yeah, that is annoying, but at the end of the day you do have to think of the worse scenarios, like when meeting traffic, whether you have the right of way or not you have to think that you may have to give way. Its also mainly about being prepared to stop, on my first test I got two majors, one for rolling back however I got another for a person running out in front of me. Whilst it wasn't my fault, I should've been thinking that something may run out behind a car that I can't see.
Driving tests are so frustrating!!
so far i have failed 3, my last one just a couple of hours ago.
In my last one i literally passed and then i failed. I had quite a hard route and then i had a reverse bay park back at the test centre, which is the manouver i find the hardest. But everything went fine on the drive and i only got three minors and then my reverse bay park was really good too, and if i turned off the engine i would've passed. But i was paranoid that i was on the line so i went to adjust it and then everyhting went to **** and i almost hit a car.
I don't know what the **** is wrong with me.
Original post by sister_jude
Driving tests are so frustrating!!
so far i have failed 3, my last one just a couple of hours ago.
In my last one i literally passed and then i failed. I had quite a hard route and then i had a reverse bay park back at the test centre, which is the manouver i find the hardest. But everything went fine on the drive and i only got three minors and then my reverse bay park was really good too, and if i turned off the engine i would've passed. But i was paranoid that i was on the line so i went to adjust it and then everyhting went to **** and i almost hit a car.
I don't know what the **** is wrong with me.

sorry didn't realise you can't swear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending