The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "I failed my driving test!" Thread (Mk. III)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sister_jude
Driving tests are so frustrating!!
so far i have failed 3, my last one just a couple of hours ago.
In my last one i literally passed and then i failed. I had quite a hard route and then i had a reverse bay park back at the test centre, which is the manouver i find the hardest. But everything went fine on the drive and i only got three minors and then my reverse bay park was really good too, and if i turned off the engine i would've passed. But i was paranoid that i was on the line so i went to adjust it and then everyhting went to **** and i almost hit a car.
I don't know what the **** is wrong with me.

Surely the logical thing to do would've been either lower your window and lookout or lower the wing mirrors?
Original post by cbaforcba
Surely the logical thing to do would've been either lower your window and lookout or lower the wing mirrors?

I opened the door to look and just thought it looked really wide, probably because i'm so used to being really close to the line as i usually do a bad job of reverse parking.
Original post by sister_jude
I opened the door to look and just thought it looked really wide, probably because i'm so used to being really close to the line as i usually do a bad job of reverse parking.

Fair enough, sometimes in my lessons I would go to a car park with really small bays, I would constantly think I am in the bays as I would've been in a normal bay however I would be so far into the next bay.
Failed twice now 😑1. Forgot to signal and check mirrors on a busy roundabout (technically it threw me off becuase there were SO many cars on the road) 2 serious and 4 minors2. Apparently was too far out for the parallel park and didnt follow the correct road markings so examiner had to grab the wheel 😰 2 serious and 4 minors again!3. Booked again... wish me luck 😁
Original post by amina8900
Failed twice now 😑1. Forgot to signal and check mirrors on a busy roundabout (technically it threw me off becuase there were SO many cars on the road) 2 serious and 4 minors2. Apparently was too far out for the parallel park and didnt follow the correct road markings so examiner had to grab the wheel 😰 2 serious and 4 minors again!3. Booked again... wish me luck 😁

Hi there,

Firstly, sorry to hear you failed! The only way you learn is through your mistakes right? :sadnod: Good luck with your next test.

Also, please check thread dates in future - the thread you posted in was pretty old; so I've moved your post here :smile:
I failed my first attempt last week. 4 minors and 1 serious - panicked and completely messed up with the gears on a slip road and caused cars behind to slow right down on the dual carriageway. Never ever done that before. Really annoying because other than that one major **** up, it was a really good drive and my manoeuvre (reverse bay park) was perfect! Booked in again for in 5 weeks time but hoping for a cancellation before then.

M

23m ago
ReportSo I had my test at 8am this morning thought I had passed...
1 minor
Managed to go into 3rd gear instead of 2nd
1 serious
Speeding doing 35 in a 30 really thought it was a 40 ( which it was further up)

Feeling down and now have to wait 10 days before I can book again!

Just failed my driving test. I had a clean sheet until the very end of the test where I'm going back to the test centre situated in an industrial estate, massive HGV on my side of the road, went to overtake and a van was coming towards me. Serious fault. I'm so annoyed at myself now.
Just had mine today and failed first time within the first two minutes. Out of the test centre, big roundabout, was in rush hour so tried to take a gap but my examiner didn’t think it was big enough apparently and slammed on the brakes. Tried again a few moments later when I saw another gap and she did it again. Ended up not pulling out again until the roundabout was literally empty to my right. Wasn’t risking her slamming my brakes again. 1 serious for that. Picked up 7 minors, one because the satnav said bare left so I wasn’t indicating but it was actually a left turn. 1 for steering, 2 for obstruction - going down tight back roads trying to dodge cars and getting too close to parked cars. 3 for undue hesitation at roundabouts because after the serious fault at the roundabout I stopped, waited, checked, double checked, triple checked every other roundabout and wouldn’t go unless it was 100% clear to the right. Actually ended up feeling more confident after the test since I had a really good drive and didn’t stress even though I knew I id failed within 2 minutes of starting the test, feel sure I can handle stressful road situations now so I’m kinda glad I failed in a weird way...
Original post by livvydibby
Just had mine today and failed first time within the first two minutes. Out of the test centre, big roundabout, was in rush hour so tried to take a gap but my examiner didn’t think it was big enough apparently and slammed on the brakes. Tried again a few moments later when I saw another gap and she did it again. Ended up not pulling out again until the roundabout was literally empty to my right. Wasn’t risking her slamming my brakes again. 1 serious for that. Picked up 7 minors, one because the satnav said bare left so I wasn’t indicating but it was actually a left turn. 1 for steering, 2 for obstruction - going down tight back roads trying to dodge cars and getting too close to parked cars. 3 for undue hesitation at roundabouts because after the serious fault at the roundabout I stopped, waited, checked, double checked, triple checked every other roundabout and wouldn’t go unless it was 100% clear to the right. Actually ended up feeling more confident after the test since I had a really good drive and didn’t stress even though I knew I id failed within 2 minutes of starting the test, feel sure I can handle stressful road situations now so I’m kinda glad I failed in a weird way...

Yeah, I had the exact same thing, I passed second time and I am sure you will! But I pretty much failed within 10 minutes, stalled on a hill start, knew that I had failed however it didn't throw me off and the drive was really nice. Just abit of advice, I am sure you realized now, but NEVER take your test in rush hour, that is literally the one thing you never do, you may get lucky where its rush hour start stop traffic which means a usual 10 minute drive takes up the full 40 minutes because of traffic.

Also, be honest, was the gap big enough for you to not hold up traffic, you have to remember that you are joining the roundabout at 0 mph, whilst it may have been clear, by the time you have safely joined, a car coming around could've speed up and due to it being roundabout, they may have rear ended you! Even if they hadn't rear ended you, holding up the car would've been a major, hindsight is a great thing, but maybe if you had said something to the examiner about there being so many cars on the roundabout, they may have even helped you, they are not evil people! On my second test, I went down a really narrow 20 MPH road which had little lay by things in case of meeting traffic situations, it is a very complicated road even for experienced drivers, but my examiner guided me through it all, its one of the only road where you are allowed to mount the pavement which I had to do and she still guided me then.
Yeah, I had the exact same thing, I passed second time and I am sure you will! But I pretty much failed within 10 minutes, stalled on a hill start, knew that I had failed however it didn't throw me off and the drive was really nice. Just abit of advice, I am sure you realized now, but NEVER take your test in rush hour, that is literally the one thing you never do, you may get lucky where its rush hour start stop traffic which means a usual 10 minute drive takes up the full 40 minutes because of traffic.

Also, be honest, was the gap big enough for you to not hold up traffic, you have to remember that you are joining the roundabout at 0 mph, whilst it may have been clear, by the time you have safely joined, a car coming around could've speed up and due to it being roundabout, they may have rear ended you! Even if they hadn't rear ended you, holding up the car would've been a major, hindsight is a great thing, but maybe if you had said something to the examiner about there being so many cars on the roundabout, they may have even helped you, they are not evil people! On my second test, I went down a really narrow 20 MPH road which had little lay by things in case of meeting traffic situations, it is a very complicated road even for experienced drivers, but my examiner guided me through it all, its one of the only road where you are allowed to mount the pavement which I had to do and she still guided me then.

That’s interesting I never would have thought to ask for the examiners help/opinion to be honest. Never would have crossed my mind. Looking back, I do maintain I could have got on and off the roundabout safely, I was taking the left exit so I was sure at the time I would be on and off before any cars were near me but I totally understand why the examiner stopped me. Rush hour, people driving more erratically, probably would have been a safe gap at any other time of day but you definately do have to be more careful and vigilant of rush hour drivers.

I did a lot of my lessons at rush hour so I actually don’t really mind driving then at all but maaaaybe when I book my next test I’ll go slightly later just to avoid having this situation repeated!
That’s interesting I never would have thought to ask for the examiners help/opinion to be honest. Never would have crossed my mind. Looking back, I do maintain I could have got on and off the roundabout safely, I was taking the left exit so I was sure at the time I would be on and off before any cars were near me but I totally understand why the examiner stopped me. Rush hour, people driving more erratically, probably would have been a safe gap at any other time of day but you definately do have to be more careful and vigilant of rush hour drivers.

I did a lot of my lessons at rush hour so I actually don’t really mind driving then at all but maaaaybe when I book my next test I’ll go slightly later just to avoid having this situation repeated!

Fair enough! As you say the examiner was just extra cautious as everyone in rush hour is in a rush to get home, they don't care about anything else. If you are certain you are fine in rush hour times then stick to it, but people do say the best times for tests are between 9AM-12PM and 5PM onwards, I have personally never seen a late test, but you have to pay a little extra for them but they have the highest pass rates as there is literally no one on the roads at this time.
Fair enough! As you say the examiner was just extra cautious as everyone in rush hour is in a rush to get home, they don't care about anything else. If you are certain you are fine in rush hour times then stick to it, but people do say the best times for tests are between 9AM-12PM and 5PM onwards, I have personally never seen a late test, but you have to pay a little extra for them but they have the highest pass rates as there is literally no one on the roads at this time.

Yeah I think I might go for the next earliest one after 8:10, I think 9:07 (?) if I can. Seems like a more reasonable time to avoid most of the lunatic drivers
Yeah I think I might go for the next earliest one after 8:10, I think 9:07 (?) if I can. Seems like a more reasonable time to avoid most of the lunatic drivers

To be honest the earlier the better, if you do rush hour in the morning no-one will exactly be in a rush to get to work they are in a rush to get home :biggrin: anyways that would be a brilliant time, that's just after most schools and jobs start! I took both my tests where I live in North London at 10:14, area is really busy and test center is known for being hard, anyways, hardly anyone else on the road!
Failed twice now, but both times my examiners were lovely and I don’t think they were harsh at all I just got nervous and made stupid mistakes.

1st test was 1 major and 7 minors, was turning right at a traffic light and thought they were filter lights and started to turn and then the traffic going straight on obviously started to move and my examiner hit the brakes
2nd test was 3 minors and a major, i was on a roundabout and accidentally moved into another lane without really looking

3rd one today. I need to stop doing all this stupid stuff because I’m nervous since I never do any of it normally :frown:
Original post by hollyoliviax
Failed twice now, but both times my examiners were lovely and I don’t think they were harsh at all I just got nervous and made stupid mistakes.

1st test was 1 major and 7 minors, was turning right at a traffic light and thought they were filter lights and started to turn and then the traffic going straight on obviously started to move and my examiner hit the brakes
2nd test was 3 minors and a major, i was on a roundabout and accidentally moved into another lane without really looking

3rd one today. I need to stop doing all this stupid stuff because I’m nervous since I never do any of it normally :frown:

How'd it go?
Failed today, 4 minors and 1 serious. Best i've ever driven in my life despite being tired due to lack of sleep. Two questions were wash front windscreen and how would you check tyre pressure. Messed up a few times as i stalled at a roundabout but wasn't dangerous as i corrected myself. Serious fault came in test centre car park as he had took me around an estate near the test centre, me and my instructor both think he was looking for a car to parallel park behind but the only available one was being used already by another learner. Got into test centre and he asked me to reverse into the bay. Had literally done it perfectly before the test but was at a weird angle as i couldnt see the white line because i didnt drop the mirror far enough so i tried to re adjust and some bikers came and i didnt know what to do as they were where i wanted to drive forward in order to go back, so i gave up and got a serious for control of car. Managed to get a new test on 26th april, instructor says that was the best test he's sat in on that didnt result in a pass. Obviously gutted but i failed for a reason
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Have you failed your driving test? :frown: Maybe the fail wasn't even your fault!

Feel free to post below and share your frustration! :redface:

Maybe driving just isnt for me. I have my 4th practical test tomorrow.

1st one: Someone waved me out of a junction but because i went before they fully stopped, i disrupted the flow of traffic apparently. If they had fully stopped it would have been them who had disrupted it so it wouldnt really matter. (1 major)

2nd: Hesitation, rolling back on hill start, speed on approach to junction, use of mirrors and one other thing i cant remember. (5 Majors)

3rd: Missed a giveway line, clipped my mirror on a parked car (2 majors)

Ive got my test tomorrow and i really dont want to fail again
Original post by M00ND4NC3R
Maybe driving just isnt for me. I have my 4th practical test tomorrow.

1st one: Someone waved me out of a junction but because i went before they fully stopped, i disrupted the flow of traffic apparently. If they had fully stopped it would have been them who had disrupted it so it wouldnt really matter. (1 major)

2nd: Hesitation, rolling back on hill start, speed on approach to junction, use of mirrors and one other thing i cant remember. (5 Majors)

3rd: Missed a giveway line, clipped my mirror on a parked car (2 majors)

Ive got my test tomorrow and i really dont want to fail again

Good luck! I really do hope you do pass tomorrow but it does have to be said that driving isn't for some people, if you don't mind me asking, how long has it been since your first test? Also, not sure if you have done already, but you should look at Automatic driving, you will find that its alot less stress. Whilst I passed in a manual a month ago, I still feel nervous whenever I go out in my car, afraid that I might do something wrong with the gears, stall (Which I have done quite a few times) etc. Anyways a good nights sleep won't help alot, but it is still worth trying to get an early night, eat light foods the night and morning before your test so sandwiches and bananas etc also watch videos of things you are not sure of, watching videos on hill starts really helped me, I knew how to do them, was just when it came to actually doing it I would panic.
Good luck! I really do hope you do pass tomorrow but it does have to be said that driving isn't for some people, if you don't mind me asking, how long has it been since your first test? Also, not sure if you have done already, but you should look at Automatic driving, you will find that its alot less stress. Whilst I passed in a manual a month ago, I still feel nervous whenever I go out in my car, afraid that I might do something wrong with the gears, stall (Which I have done quite a few times) etc. Anyways a good nights sleep won't help alot, but it is still worth trying to get an early night, eat light foods the night and morning before your test so sandwiches and bananas etc also watch videos of things you are not sure of, watching videos on hill starts really helped me, I knew how to do them, was just when it came to actually doing it I would panic.

I'm exactly like that on hill starts ahah i can do them, i just overthink it.
My Tests:
1st: October 13th 2017
2nd: October 31st 2017
3rd: March 21st 2018

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending