The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "I failed my driving test!" Thread (Mk. III)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by M00ND4NC3R
I'm exactly like that on hill starts ahah i can do them, i just overthink it.
My Tests:
1st: October 13th 2017
2nd: October 31st 2017
3rd: March 21st 2018

Alright, if you genuinely feel ready you should continue to take your test, but if you feel you aren't prepared, not nervous, but aren't prepared, in an unfortunate case where you do fail your test tomorrow I would give it a few months and try to have 4 hours a week of lessons, 2 hours on 2 days. I dreaded lessons, I hated every minute of them, my friends couldn't wait for their next lessons but I couldn't wait till they were over, not only that, I would continuously stall, even after 25 hours worth of lessons. Anyways as it got closer to my test, I decided to try my best to enjoy lessons which I did begin to slightly, still found them boring however I began to make alot less mistakes, I failed my first test because I stalled on a hill start and bad observation, got 2 majors and 6 minors, second test I got 4 minors.

As I said, best of luck for tomorrow, just think of it like a normal lesson as that is all it really is, when you think about it is even better as it is only 40 minutes and you are constantly told to pull over, so in reality you are only driving for about 30 minutes
Failed the driving test at Ashford (Middlesex) today 11.11AM had 1 serious and 1 minor. The serious was for observation on a mini-roundabout basically I did not look carefully enough to spot a car on my right approaching the roundabout and I should have slowed down and stopped. But instead I went on the roundabout to go left causing the car on the right on honk at me and break sharply. The minor was for turning right at junction I was a bit too close to the right hand lane when I should have been on the left to exit the junction. Pretty gutted and looking forward to book my next test hopefully in the next 2 weeks.
Original post by cbaforcba
How'd it go?

Finally passed with 4 minors!!! Thanks for asking:smile:
Original post by hollyoliviax

Congratulations!!!
Reply 64
Original post by hollyoliviax

Congratulations! I passed my 4th test on Wednesday with 4 minors :smile: never thought i would
Original post by Elma91
Congratulations! I passed my 4th test on Wednesday with 4 minors :smile: never thought i would

I didn’t either! Thank you and well done to you too x
Original post by Elma91

I also passed mine on wednesday with four minors, how strange is that? :smile:
Failed my second driving test today with only 3 minors but I hit the kurb I don’t want to do it anymore am considering just giving up
Reply 68
Original post by Soph8807
Failed my second driving test today with only 3 minors but I hit the kurb I don’t want to do it anymore am considering just giving up

Nooo please don't give up! I felt like this after my second test because I came so close! It's so frustrating and I felt like I would never pass but I persevered and passed my 4th test. Please don't give up you will get there!
Failed my first test today, 1 major 2 minors.
I made a stupid error on one of the first roundabouts we came to, there was a car approaching from the right but I thought I had enough space to go when I clearly didn't (I'm usually overcautious on roundabouts), and the other car had to slow down. Then 2 minors on the parallel park.
First Attempt : I was stupidly about half a cars length too close to behind a lorry - other than that it would of been a perfect sweep ( i cried many tears)

Second Attempt : Joining a dual carriage way and there were three lorries coming and they didn't move over or slow. I did my final check over my shoulder and was about to call it and stop ( even though i got a flash from the last lorry) but unfortunately my examiner got there before me.. Little bit annoyed as I'm not so incompetent to drive into several lorries .... I had half the slip road left and to me stopping on a slip road is more dangerous but hey what can you do

3rd attempt this thurs!
Failed driving test today 2nd time at Ashford (Middlesex) test centre 1.35PM.

6 minors 1 major

Major was for changing direction at a large multi-lane roundabout apparently I did not look left when I was changing direction after indicating although I clearly remember doing so. The examiner I got was apparently one of the meanest ones in the centre who never passes anyone according to my instructor. Pretty bummed out TBH but I guess just gotta keep grinding and book another test soon.
Failed my driving test yesterday. First attempt.
First half went absolutely fine but in the second half he asked me to follow road signs. I thought i would be using satnav and my instructor never made me follow road signs to a destination. Although it isn't difficult, but i somehow panicked and made a major mistake of taking over right lane when i shouldn't have(just to follow the sign) .
Secondly I asked my instructors to make me do roundabouts as they really scare me but he said there aren't many in our area and I wont possibly get one during the test. As soon as I reached a roundabout I panicked again as I was concentrating too much on road signs and where i needed to be rather than safe driving. Changed lanes and that was counted as a major. Examiner was really nice, tried to calm me down as i was hell nervous but I think it was my own mistake plus the instructor's. Will try again with a new instructor but not sure when :-(
Reply 73
First attempt: I was approaching a mini roundabout and somehow I didn't notice there were 2 lanes. I was driving in the left lane and I turned right, so he failed me for it. I have no idea how I managed not to notice the lane markings. I've been back on the same test route since, and it's clear as day. I put it down to nerves. Definitely deserved to fail that one.

Second attempt: I got two serious faults. I feel that both of my serious faults were quite harsh.

One was for not giving way to an oncoming car when there was a lorry parked on my side of the road ahead of me. The lorry was massive, and I was following behind a huge van, so when the van went around the lorry I followed it. Because the lorry and van were both so big I couldn't even see the oncoming car until I'd already committed to going round the lorry, so there wasn't really any way I could have known it was there.

The second fault was when I was pulling out from a side road onto a busy main road, turning right. There was lots of traffic coming all the time from both directions so it was hard to find a space to pull out into. Eventually there was a gap which I judged to be big enough; there was nothing coming from the right, and the car coming from the left seemed far enough away. As far as I can remember, the car didn't have to slow down to let me out, but my examiner disagreed and thought that it was too close and I should have waited for it.

Other than those two things, it was a practically perfect drive (only two minors aside from the two majors) so I was VERY annoyed to have failed it. My driving instructor was in the back of the car, and he said he was very surprised when the examiner said I hadn't passed. He was completely expecting him to say I'd passed. In his opinion those two faults should have been given as minors. :frown: Had a driving lesson today, did a mock test and only got 1 minor. Why can't this happen on the test.
Yeah. I failed mine twice. The people there were super sweet, but aurgh!!!! Still haven't passed.
Reply 75
I took my test four times (all of these were with my former instructor) before passing! I absolutely hated learning to drive... I used to be so nervous the night before, sometimes lose sleep over my driving lesson the night before, going to the toilet an hour before my lesson, I would sometimes hope he'd cancel my lesson last minute so I didn't have to do it! I even stopped learning for nearly two years because I was so anxious of driving! However, I decided to put my driving fears to one side and resume my driving lessons until I pass the test this time.
I found a new instructor after going through several and he was great! Patient, he knew I was nervous and put me right at ease, taught me skills that my old instructor didn't despite learning with him for a year! I was putting off my test for months because I was so scared of failing. I eventually sat the test and I passed with two minors first time with my new instructor! I was elated! I actually cried when the examiner said I passed.
For anyone feeling as though they'll never pass and wanting to give up - don't give up and keep trying! You will get there. I tried taking beta blockers prescribed from my GP however I found they affected my driving as I felt as though I couldn't focus properly so I stopped taking them.
All I can recommend is, have some faith in yourself and keep calm... why would your instructor put you for a test when you're not ready? The examiner wants you to pass! I would also recommend not telling anyone about your test unless you have to, that takes a lot of burden off your shoulders! Maybe if you're failing a few times with your current instructor - ask a friend who's passed recently to see who they learnt with! Perhaps your current instructor isn't right for you! I was taught a lot of things wrong and my instructor ironed out the errors.
Good luck everyone! :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Failed my first test with 14 minors and 3 serious.

The serious for things such as:
> Leaving signal on for too long
> Speeding - Examiner said I would go over and above the speed limit
> Response to signs and signals (Road markings) - he did not explain why.
Hi guys,

Just had my driving test at 8.10 this morning.

I did the eyesight check perfectly and answered the tell me question correctly.

Then the examiner got set up in the car and asked me to do a manouver straight away (reverse in to the bay) within the first 5 mins of the test.*

I have completely messed it up due to nerves my foot was flying on the clutch and I couldn't breathe properly, I asked if I could take a moment and he said "oh we will have to leave it now ". Continued on my way and it was fine got 2 minors for control but didn't pass because of the reverse park.

Did anyone have the manouver as the first thing on their test? I think it is a bit mean as obviously I was nervous...

Overall he was a nice guy but my driving instructor said this normally doesn't happen?

It was my 1st test btw.

Thanks*
Just failed my driving test first time. 9 minors and 3 serious faults.
Serious:
1) Stalled on traffic lights on a hill and a car right up my backside. Examiner had to put brakes on.
2) On a roundabout, apparently I was in the wrong lane to go right (unknown to my knowledge!) It was an odd roundabout.
3) Missed a Give Way sign and was creeping forward to go through. It was a road with two Give Way signs to ease traffic, I got the priority the wrong way round. Should have asked!!!

Oh well!
Original post by cookienut
Just failed my driving test first time. 9 minors and 3 serious faults.
Serious:
1) Stalled on traffic lights on a hill and a car right up my backside. Examiner had to put brakes on.
2) On a roundabout, apparently I was in the wrong lane to go right (unknown to my knowledge!) It was an odd roundabout.
3) Missed a Give Way sign and was creeping forward to go through. It was a road with two Give Way signs to ease traffic, I got the priority the wrong way round. Should have asked!!!

Oh well!

Ahh unlucky, on my first test I stalled on a hill start and the cars behind overtook then literally a few minutes later somebody ran out in front of me, however I passed second time, still stalled, but luckily it was at a red light anyways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending