The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I followed the rule of 'ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer'.

That's OK then. I fully support your attitude.
Tom
:eek: What college was this at? Mine throws open the JCR, makes sure there are students to chat to and generally tries to be pretty welcoming. It's certainly not in, out, chucked back out into the cold!

That was at King's. No disrespect to the college and students that were there at the time, I think the best was made of an uneasy situation. In retrospect, they did make an effort, with the common room and bar area open and full of people and things. The people helping at the interviews were all very nice, and the atmosphere was warm and friendly the evening before interviews and tests, but I think the feeling of blitz-ness was unavoidable with such a short interview period. They were over within 24 hours of arrival and felt very rushed, without much opportunity to settle in to the interview system.

Which college is yours, Tom (p.s. I do like your manatee!)?
Reply 22
Epitome, I think he was joking...

Thanks, 3232 -- I think he is too, but it seemed prudent (in the hysterical TSR climate at the moment!) to completely dismiss it before anyone paid any attention to it! It's all very well making smart-arse 'sarcastic' comments (on the part of thomasjtl), but not everyone will realise they're utterly untrue. Hence my slight overreaction, heralded by Santas. :wink: :smile:
It really depends on the individual's strengths as to which one is easier. Cambridge tend to want higher academic achievment and STEP etc (although they have been known to give AAB offers :biggrin: ) However, they also give you the best chance to demonstrate your ability. They interview more candidates and the pool system means many people get a second chance at a later date when they've prepared more.

I was going to apply to Oxford but was put off by the narrow (sample)entrance tests for my subject (arch&anth). At Oxford I would be required to answer questions about pot sherds, dates, etc. At Cambridge I was given a choice of essay questions which focussed (for archaeology) on either science/radio carbon, sociology of ancient societies, or knowledge management in presenting archaeological finds. Something for everyone.

It was far better for me to have the opportunity to answer an obscure question on knowledge management than a question on dating where I would be up against every kid who'd been on archaeology summer camp...
username62978

Which college is yours, Tom (p.s. I do like your manatee!)?

seems like everyone is loving tom's manatee :biggrin: and to stay on topic, i'd say that for medicine oxford seems more difficult due to the shortlisting by BMAT and % A*'s and also due to the very small number of places available relative to cambridge. however after interview i think getting into oxford is easier. it all balances out to a big NEITHER. anywhoo what the hell do i know...
(edited 4 years ago)
they're as easy as each other :p:
Reply 26
Shrayans
Generally one could say that Oxford and Cambridge have slightly different specialities?
As I gather Oxford is better for the traditional subjects like languages, history and politics whereas Cambridge is for sciences? I am not sure, but I seem to get that impression, so that might help you for your subject choice.

Oh and that's a fairly rubbish stereotype, it's not as clear cut as that at all. Oxford and Cambridge both have strengths in the arts and sciences. It certainly isn't an Oxford - Arts, Cambridge - Science simple divide at all.
thomasjtl
Everyone knows that durham and bristol automatically reject anyone who also applies to Oxford or Cambridge. It's to encourage a more even distribution of highly talently applicants- you can read about it on UCAS.

I hope you don't think I was serious :p:
As people have said, Cambridge give out more interviews due to the entrance exams. However, Cambridge also ask for UMS scores, and, whilst this may not play a huge part in deciding, could be a disincentive for people who have just gotten an A by the skin of their teeth.

Aside from that, it varies from subject to subject.
Oh and that's a fairly rubbish stereotype, it's not as clear cut as that at all. Oxford and Cambridge both have strengths in the arts and sciences. It certainly isn't an Oxford - Arts, Cambridge - Science simple divide at all.

My Grandmother always says it's Cambridge for Brains, Oxford for Brawn.... :smile:
Reply 30
Interesting stuff everyone. :smile:

I am thinking of doing something like medicine, natural sciences, biochemistry, biological sciences and etc.
Obviously one would go for Cambridge, but just wondering... is it really the better one to go for? :confused:
Reply 31
yg110uk

I am thinking of doing something like medicine, natural sciences, biochemistry, biological sciences and etc.
Obviously one would go for Cambridge, but just wondering... is it really the better one to go for? :confused:

rubbish they are both equally amazing for those subjects you mentioned. I chose Oxford over Cambridge for biochemistry. I know that people at my school generally tends to go for oxford for sciences because its not natural sciences.
Reply 32

I agree
Reply 33
yg110uk

Does it matter? Pick the course and city you like best.

Bumblebee3
My Grandmother always says it's Cambridge for Brains, Oxford for Brawn.... :smile:

I am so telling my friends at Oxford that. :biggrin:
Bumblebee3

Hmm. Which is best for lentils? I'm a vegetarian.

DtS
Reply 35
Derek_the_Sheep
Hmm. Which is best for lentils? I'm a vegetarian.

DtS

There's a super health food shop on Mill Road...
Shrayans
Brilliant!!!!

He does seem to come out with some good one-liners from time to time. :p:
Reply 37
*takes a bow*
Reply 38
i have a question...
i haven't applied to either, as i am what one would call "not the brightest crayon in the box"...
but upon reading this thread, one query popped into my head.
can you not apply for both??
Reply 39
cloop
i have a question...
i haven't applied to either, as i am what one would call "not the brightest crayon in the box"...
but upon reading this thread, one query popped into my head.
can you not apply for both??

No. You must either be a graduate student or an organ scholar (and possibly something else obscure that I've forgotten). Imagine the hassle if people applied to both - everyone would want to do it!

Latest

Trending

Trending