The Student Room Group

Deferred entry

I'm fully prepared for a rejection, but I just rememered ticking a box on the SAQ all that time ago, that said 'would you consider an offer for deferred entry in 2009?'.. like, if they didn't have room on the course that year but still wanted you. Does it ever happen that they do this, or do you have to be a totally exceptional candidate for them to consider it?
Hmm.. also, if I wanted to defer entry to a uni, Durham say, but already held an offer for 2008, would I have to reapply next year?
Reply 1
Apparently, UCAS will not let you start a new application if you are holding deferred offers.
I don't know, but I did the same :redface:
Reply 3
I don't know how often it happens, but there is the facility to do it. Somewhere in the admin section (the pages of the website from the admissions office which have full details of the workings of the application process) I remember seeing details of how and when this can happen.

You can contact a uni (e.g. Durham) and ask if they will allow you to defer and keep your offer. If they say you cannot, then yes, you'd have to reapply. Sometimes they will agree to keep your offer but move it on UCAS to an offer fior 2009.
Reply 4
I did the opposite-I changed to immediate entry from deferred. It was a simple process of emailing the admissions office/whoever you've had contact with so far to tell them your decision. I also gave some reasoning behind it.
All unis bar St Andrews (who I've only heard from once anyway) responded saying it was OK, and Durham and UCL changed their offers to me. The way you want to go though might be more complicated, especially for Maths, for which I believe unis often discourage Gap Years.
My advice is not to rush into a decision about deferring entry, you probably already though about it great detail when you were applying in, and had justified it to yourself. To start panicking over changing your mind would be a bad move, and you don't want to mess the unis around if you then change your mind again.

Latest

Trending

Trending