The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Congrats all.
Got 2 offers from Edinburgh back in early December (I'm from the US so it's a bit different)

History and Politics -- Unconditional
Politics and Social and Economic History --Unconditional.

Just e-mailed in to them though in regards to changing my course of study to Politics and Economics, they're quite flexible with International Students so hopefully I'll have a third offer.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Third? Wouldn't it be a second, second offer?
They'd just change your offer, they wouldn't give you a new one because you're only allowed to apply to Edinburgh for two courses in one cycle, if you apply for three they will automatically reject you for one of them. Thus, I can hardly see them handing out a 3rd offer just because you've decided to change your course.

Even if they don't let you change it now, turn up and change it in freshers week or after semester one. Tonnes of cheeky people do that- they apply for something less popular, then get here, take something very popular as an outside course, then suddenly have a change of heart a week later and drop the course they orignially applied for... and I speak from experience here, I can think of at least 6 people I know just from the top of my head who did that within a week or two of arriving at Edinburgh, and many more do it during years one and two.
Reply 23
I didn't apply to those other two because they're less popular (history and politics is surely popular.) They've told me it's better not to wait until freshers week. Again, I don't think the same thing applies in regards to not being allowed to apply more than twice because I'm from the US (we don't do a 5 school limit thing) and anyways it's not really a third application as the person above you pointed out, just a change of course.
NewArtRiot
I didn't apply to those other two because they're less popular (history and politics is surely popular.) They've told me it's better not to wait until freshers week. Again, I don't think the same thing applies in regards to not being allowed to apply more than twice because I'm from the US (we don't do a 5 school limit thing) and anyways it's not really a third application as the person above you pointed out, just a change of course.

There's no five school limit when you apply to college in the US, yes. But there is one in the UK. And when you apply to uni here through UCAS, the same rules apply to everyone, regardless of where they come from. It's not like we international students would have some strange special rights. :rolleyes:
NewArtRiot

If you apply to a British university you use UCAS and you're subject to the same rules as everyone else who applies, regardless of whether you're applying to Edinburgh from Glasgow or Tokyo.

Basically, if they decide to let you change your course they'll just change the offer to the combination you want to do now, they won't give you another offer per se, as its an Edinburgh rule that you can only apply for two courses in one UCAS cycle. Its nothing to do with you being American (or not being British, however you want to look at it) its just the rules... although either way, you'd get to do what you want so you don't need a 3rd offer for it! They'll just change the offer they've already given you on UCAS.

Btw, history and politics is a popular combination, I wasn't implying that you were applying for something less popular then switching, merely stating that lots of people do do that.
Reply 26
Thank's for clearing all that up, appreciate it. Again, i don't know the rules. I didn't apply through UCAS (yes it's possible, Edinburgh will let you just fill out an application that's shorter if you are only applying to 1 school in the UK and you're international) Anyways, thanks.
Reply 27
this is starting to grate, waiting for Edinburgh, got the rest of my offers months ago, getting seriously tempted to cancel the choice and forget about it tbh....Is there something about replying to English applicants last? I would doubt it, but nobody i know has got an offer yet.
Reply 28
jasonm
this is starting to grate, waiting for Edinburgh, got the rest of my offers months ago, getting seriously tempted to cancel the choice and forget about it tbh....Is there something about replying to English applicants last? I would doubt it, but nobody i know has got an offer yet.

I'm a Scottish applicant and I haven't had a decision back yet, so I doubt it's that.

Good-luck though!
Reply 29
Thanks, its just frustration really, they were the first uni to send a confirmation email, but the last to reply lol
Reply 30
^ Ditto. I wish they'd just get back to me, although it is good to know that I'm not the only one waiting :redface:
Reply 31
i've been waiting by now....i can wait a week or two more.....i have already no strength to get mad :frown:
Reply 32
Does anyone know the difference between a scottish MA degree and the english BA degree?!
rache11a
Does anyone know the difference between a scottish MA degree and the english BA degree?!

The name. And the Scottish one is a year longer.
Reply 34
elisabethbridge
The name. And the Scottish one is a year longer.

and the scottish one is MA in Scotlan but everywhere else it's like u've taken a BA degree but the scottish degrees are quite more respected than the others cause it's obviously that someone who has studied 4 years knows better and would be more employable than the one who has studied 3 years!!
Reply 35
i got told it was a masters though?
Reply 36
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Arts_%28Scotland%29

I've always been told it's just a different name though. Kept for historical reasons.
Reply 37
Anyone know when the open days are?
Reply 38
Finally... I've got my offer...... YYEEESS Relief or what!! I love the world.xxxxxx Good luck guys

Latest

Trending

Trending