The Student Room Group

Financing my first car! Toyota GT 86

Well i have went from a corsa to a swift and now im set on the GT 86.
Somehow i have been given a insurance quote of 4.5 grand compared to the 2.5 and 3 grand on a 1 litre car. Going to finance it and pay only 250 quid a month over a 3 year span. Seems like a great idea, anyone got any advice good or bad they want to give?

Scroll to see replies

So you're gonna pay 250 a month for 3 years when the insurance will only last for 1 year?

A gt 86 isnt a good idea for a first car tbh
Brah you trolling?

There is no way you're going to be able to afford to own that car. All you need is one screwup and you're toast. Your insurance will be screwed, and your financers will take you to town over any damage you bring back to them. I know it sounds logical because it's barely more than a lesser powered car, but lesser powered cars are cheaper to run, repair and replace. I used your logic when financing a 1L fiesta, but the difference was a CHEAPER insurance. Plus crashing this would at the very least emotionally devastate me, so I don't drive like a tool which I probably would if the car was cheap enough to replace. I wouldn't dream getting behind the wheel of a GT86 - this isn't even a second car; it's a third car. It's more powerful, more expensive to even run, larger (has a wider body), and by the way - the GT86 is a RWD, do you even know what that is and what difference it makes on the road?

Also is that 4500 before or after interest on monthly? I'm assuming you're paying the insurance monthly, because if you have £4500 in your hand right now this would be an even more stupid thing to do.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nevershear
Brah you trolling?

There is no way you're going to be able to afford to own that car. All you need is one screwup and you're toast. Your insurance will be screwed, and your financers will take you to town over any damage you bring back to them. I know it sounds logical because it's barely more than a lesser powered car, but lesser powered cars are cheaper to run, repair and replace. I used your logic when financing a 1L fiesta, but the difference was a CHEAPER insurance. Plus crashing this would at the very least emotionally devastate me, so I don't drive like a tool which I probably would if the car was cheap enough to replace. I wouldn't dream getting behind the wheel of a GT86 - this isn't even a second car; it's a third car. It's more powerful, more expensive to even run, larger (has a wider body), and by the way - the GT86 is a RWD, do you even know what that is and what difference it makes on the road?

Also is that 4500 before or after interest on monthly? I'm assuming you're paying the insurance monthly, because if you have £4500 in your hand right now this would be an even more stupid thing to do.

i have more than 4500, im saying 250 a month is fine as my monthly income is alot higher so that wouldnt be a problem, and insurance is only 4500. Rear wheel drive plays a factor and the insane bhp but for a first car it will be preety insane and catch many eyes.

So ill just slap down 4500 for a years insurance, 1500 deposit with 250 a month for 3 years. After the 3 years i pay 5 grand and get to keep it.
Original post by MrCole&Co
i have more than 4500, im saying 250 a month is fine as my monthly income is alot higher so that wouldnt be a problem, and insurance is only 4500. Rear wheel drive plays a factor and the insane bhp but for a first car it will be preety insane and catch many eyes.

So ill just slap down 4500 for a years insurance, 1500 deposit with 250 a month for 3 years. After the 3 years i pay 5 grand and get to keep it.

So have you actually driven RWD before? Do you have any idea what a RWD with that kind of power will do to you if you don't have the experience to deal with it? I don't really think you understand what I'm asking.
So have you actually driven RWD before? Do you have any idea what a RWD with that kind of power will do to you if you don't have the experience to deal with it? I don't really think you understand what I'm asking.

i mean..not seriously but i did drive a lambo for a birthday present so i know what one would drive like. But i get your point, but i just think for the extra 1-2 grand on insurance a gt 86 would be solid, 40mpg is still great compared to 50 from a corsa.
i mean..not seriously but i did drive a lambo for a birthday present so i know what one would drive like. But i get your point, but i just think for the extra 1-2 grand on insurance a gt 86 would be solid, 40mpg is still great compared to 50 from a corsa.

All you need is one day of snowfall and you will realise your terrible mistake :frown:
Reply 7
Terrible mistake? Right I know that RWD and snow isn’t the best situation in the world, but it’s not a world-ending scenario. I have a TVR Chimaera, that has “traction control” but it’s basically useless plus it’s a British Midlands sports car from 1995, need I say more. I don’t struggle to drive it and it’s my 4th car. I’m sure that if he can manage to control it with traction control then don’t discourage him. However, I would suggest that you do practice driving a RWD car on a track or anywhere where it is safe to do so.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JJB103
Terrible mistake? Right I know that RWD and snow isn’t the best situation in the world, but it’s not a world-ending scenario. I have a TVR Chimaera, that has “traction control” but it’s basically useless plus it’s a British Midlands sports car from 1995, need I say more. I don’t struggle to drive it and it’s my 4th car. I’m sure that if he can manage to control it with traction control then don’t discourage him. However, I would suggest that you do practice driving a RWD car on a track or anywhere where it is safe to do so.

The bolded correlates with pretty much exactly what I said +
"I’m sure that if he can manage to control it with traction control then don’t discourage him"

The consequences of failing to do would be severe. You definitely don't want to try your chances against a car on finance + a £4500 p/a insurance premium.

PS: Nice car.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
I agree that it would be a bad financial issue were he to crash the crash the GT86, but that’s why I suggest he practice on the track in a RWD track rental car. Plus, if he can drive and control a 5.2L V10 Gallardo with 560hp straight to the rear wheels then I doubt he’ll struggle controlling a 2.0 GT86 with 200hp. (And yes he’s only driven the Gallardo once, but you get my point)
Original post by JJB103
I agree that it would be a bad financial issue were he to crash the crash the GT86, but that’s why I suggest he practice on the track in a RWD track rental car. Plus, if he can drive and control a 5.2L V10 Gallardo with 560hp straight to the rear wheels then I doubt he’ll struggle controlling a 2.0 GT86 with 200hp. (And yes he’s only driven the Gallardo once, but you get my point)

Join Date 23-01-2018

Are you the same person?/ How do you know it was a Gallardo; and how much he's driven with it.
Reply 11
By the way, have you already bought the GT86? If not then I would consider going for other RWD sports style cars such as the Mazda MX-5, BMW Z4/Z3 and a Fiat 124 Spider (New Gen) To be fair he has a good point, if you were to crash a decently powerful, modern car that insurance companies class as a “Sports-Car” then your insurance premiums would skyrocket. An older RWD car would probably be less of a financial time bomb were you to crash and write it off etc.
Well i have went from a corsa to a swift and now im set on the GT 86.
Somehow i have been given a insurance quote of 4.5 grand compared to the 2.5 and 3 grand on a 1 litre car. Going to finance it and pay only 250 quid a month over a 3 year span. Seems like a great idea, anyone got any advice good or bad they want to give?

Bad idea. Financing your first car (especially a sports car) is not a good idea - what happens if your income source dries up? The insurance is also huge. Ever considered a 7th-gen Celica with the 1ZZ? Sure, it's FWD and "only" 140hp, but it's WAY cheaper and would probably be the 86's most logical predecessor.

Original post by JJB103

Pretty sure the Gallardo is AWD, and it's fitted with much stickier rubber. And there's a difference between driving it once in a controlled environment and driving it for many years on public roads.
Reply 13
1. He mentioned it was a Gallardo so it would have a V10 and unless it’s a Supperleggera (which I doubt it was) it would have been RWD.

2. Typically you can do 10-15 and sometimes even 20 laps on a “supercar experience” track day which sounds like what he’s talking about
If it's your first car then the smart thing to do is find one with the cheapest insurance, but if you really really want a gt 86 and sure you can afford it then go ahead. I would get an Aygo if I were you, once you start driving the thing everyday, you won't feel better because you have a 2.0 litre as opposed to a 1.0
Reply 15
I agree with you. He should do practice driving a RWD in an environment where (if not on track) there is a large empty area with no other vehicles or people in the surrounding area such as a empty parking area etc. (Not saying he should do donuts and the like I’m an empty car park, but he could learn to get a feel for the car)
Original post by JJB103
1. He mentioned it was a Gallardo so it would have a V10 and unless it’s a Supperleggera (which I doubt it was) it would have been RWD.

Where?
Where?

Original post by JJB103
I agree with you. He should do practice driving a RWD in an environment where (if not on track) there is a large empty area with no other vehicles or people in the surrounding area such as a empty parking area etc. (Not saying he should do donuts and the like I’m an empty car park, but he could learn to get a feel for the car)

Original post by JavaScriptMaster
If it's your first car then the smart thing to do is find one with the cheapest insurance, but if you really really want a gt 86 and sure you can afford it then go ahead. I would get an Aygo if I were you, once you start driving the thing everyday, you won't feel better because you have a 2.0 litre as opposed to a 1.0

I drove the lambo on a track day experience for about 10-15 laps, even though it was auto and the guy had brakes on his side of the car i had full control and drove atleasst 80-90 mph with it round tight cone areas so i mean, it may add to something.

It was only an option as i have a steady income, and i want my first car to be abit less generic and abit of a wow factor than a 1 litre small car.

And for whom who said my income could dry up, i very much doubt that as im in a job currrently and would just be putting money away for next years finance but i dont think at 17 i would be out of a job for long.
I suspect a GT86 will have pretty good traction control, which makes a FWD more or less as easy to drive as a RWD. More of an issue is that you'll probably ding your first car and so it's best to be one you don't care too much about!
Original post by CurlyBen
I suspect a GT86 will have pretty good traction control, which makes a FWD more or less as easy to drive as a RWD. More of an issue is that you'll probably ding your first car and so it's best to be one you don't care too much about!

I mean, i dont want to just get some cheap junk car for the idea that its going to get hit. Id rather get the gt 86 as it would be my car for many years unlike if i got a 1 litre corsa etc id change it for something meaner in a few years. It only was an option as the insurance was fairly cheap

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending