The Student Room Group

How can I fund a €100/week language course for 14 months?

I want to spend the entire 14months of my gap year in germany/france
I know the only way I will really become fluent is to go to a language school (which I really want to do anyway)

the only problem is the cost. I definitely want to work while im there-not just to cover living costs but to hopefully fund a language school. the maximum number of weeks I do the language course is 44- so about €4400 on top of living costs of about €80-100. The obvious option is to work in a bar, restaurant or club which leaves me the morning free for school.

So does anyone know of any schemes which organise jobs abroad which fund language tuition and living costs? Or have any ideas about how to work there?
Reply 1
My sister was an au pair in france for a year. She got her rent and language course bills paid and got 70 euros a week to spend. The hours weren't that long and she ate a lot of meals with the family. She also had no experience of looking after children, the families are desperate for cheap english speaking nannies.
Reply 2
I would start with going there for the language course, get a job when you get there.. Then maybe drop the course after a while, when you get to know the locals.. I'm not sure... Or the au pair thingy as rarara2 said..
rarara2
My sister was an au pair in france for a year. She got her rent and language course bills paid and got 70 euros a week to spend. The hours weren't that long and she ate a lot of meals with the family. She also had no experience of looking after children, the families are desperate for cheap english speaking nannies.

do you know how she organised that?
Reply 4
she just found adverts online and replied, i think theres websites devoted to matching families and au pairs, just search on google.

Latest