The Student Room Group

University of Durham "ALIS" tests

At the start of the year at our school we did university of Durham "alis" tests. These are like difficult CAT tests. I usually perform very highly - top 1 percentile in CAT tests. But i was informed the other day that i have performed very highly in the alis tests, therfore predicted very highly in my as levels. I feel now that there is more pressure to do well.

Has anybody else done them?

Just curious
Thanks
Reply 1
I did, although I think they were conducted by a different university. They annoy me a bit, but i suppose they are a good indicator as to how well you can potentially perform. I don't know what my results are, probably none too good because the maths one totally intimidate me.
Reply 2
I thought ALIS grades were predicted on the basis of GCSE performance? :s

Could well be wrong, though!
Reply 3
FunkyIguana
I thought ALIS grades were predicted on the basis of GCSE performance? :s

Could well be wrong, though!

They can be, but IIRC you can also opt to sit tests as well (similar to the CATs with spatial awareness/logic, verbal reasoning etc. style questions).
Reply 4
i did the ALIS and was predicted As for everything except for biology (B) :p:

but in the end it doesn't really matter because the predicted grades i got in year 13 were not 100% what was predicted from ALIS.
I have all A*s at GCSE and ALIS predicted me 3xAs, 2xBs at AS level and I got 6xAs...it's all a load of codswollop! :biggrin:
Reply 6
I still haven't bothered to ask for mine yet, but I heard through friends that in a class it got announced that I got predicted a B in maths, and now apparantly they've been deemed utterly useless by that teacher.
For the YELLIS (GCSE equivalent of ALIS) testing, I was in the top percentile for the maths section of the paper, but they still only predicted me a B when I already had an A*. Clearly they must put a lot of emphasis on the questionnaire :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Oh, so thats what its for...our school is making us take it next week!

So what will the schools actually do with the results,, is there a point in doing it?
I suppose these ALIS tests measure how intelligent you are. But exam results depend on how intelligent you are and how much effort you put in.
Dubious and random. I know far more people who got ridiculously bad predictions, than those that were accurate.
Mine was CDD. Got way higher than that.
The result sounds quite accurate - obviously statistics is NOT your strong point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending