The Student Room Group

2nd year to do new GCSEs

Hiya, I was wondering if the 2nd year to do the new GCSE will be easier as we didn’t get the full 9-1 course. And also we do new GCSEs such as history and science etc.
What do you mean didn't get the full 9-1 course?
Reply 2
I've heard the exams would be a lot harder than past years Probably the hardest exams ever.
Reply 3
Original post by _gcx
What do you mean didn't get the full 9-1 course?

Like we only found out we were doing the new GCSE in year 8 so we missed a year
Reply 4
Original post by ab6790
I've heard the exams would be a lot harder than past years Probably the hardest exams ever.

Yeah I know they’re the hardest but cause we’re the first year I was wondering if they would be easier them like 2 or 3 years down the line
Original post by Charlieefinch
Yeah I know they’re the hardest but cause we’re the first year I was wondering if they would be easier them like 2 or 3 years down the line

the actual exam will be harder. But as we are underprepared than the future years the boundries will be low.
Reply 6
Original post by THEGAMECRUSHER
the actual exam will be harder. But as we are underprepared than the future years the boundries will be low.

Oh that’s good, cause when I was
Original post by THEGAMECRUSHER

Oh that’s good then, cause some of the grade boundaries were low
Like we only found out we were doing the new GCSE in year 8 so we missed a year

you don't start doing the gcse content until year 9 or 10.
Reply 8
Hiya, I was wondering if the 2nd year to do the new GCSE will be easier as we didn’t get the full 9-1 course. And also we do new GCSEs such as history and science etc.

You're still going to cover the entire course as stated in the specification for each subject without fail because that's what the exam boards and Ofqual expects. In terms of the difficulty, I would treat that with caution because although you are the second cohort to sit the new examinations, it may not necessarily be easier, it might well be harder. However, if you're struggling there are resources around TSR and I'm more than happy to help if you tag me. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
You're still going to cover the entire course as stated in the specification for each subject without fail because that's what the exam boards and Ofqual expects. In terms of the difficulty, I would treat that with caution because although you are the second cohort to sit the new examinations, it may not necessarily be easier, it might well be harder. However, if you're struggling there are resources around TSR and I'm more than happy to help if you tag me. :smile:

Hiya. Nice to hear that and how do I tag people?
Yah im doing them next year. I guess we did miss out a bit because it was only in year 9 that our lessons started changing to adapt for the next 2 years. I do feel we missed out especially in science a bit. i remember learning about drugs as an actual topic as it was in the old biology spec. however that knowledge and lesson time was wasted because we dont need to know about drugs. (a bit about drug trials but not about recreational drugs).
but at least we had an extra year. we started the 9-1 RS course in year 9 which was great becasue the current Yr11s have only just finished it. also they had to self teach some stuff becasue there was so much content to cover!
Reply 11
Hiya. Nice to hear that and how do I tag people?

By using the '@' sign. E.g @ Charlieefinch but without space. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest