The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No. Biology and Chemistry are the only essential subjects.
Reply 2
...but maths is great nonetheless! :biggrin:
Nah not maths.
I thought only chemistry was the essential subject, biology etc are just desired arnt they?
Reply 4
Even biology isn't essential for some universities. Chemistry, however, is. Think carefully about maths and chemistry though. If you want a challenge they're great, but if you don't like loads of complicated stuff they may not be for you.
No, but it's advantageous.
Reply 6
Chemistry is compulsory.

Biology is needed for some medical schools, so if you don't take it it'll reduce your choice of med schools greatly.

Maths is not necessary at all, although many potential medical applicants take it anyway. Some colleges in Cambridge and I *think* Sheffield gives preference to those with three science/maths A-levels (so the third subject can be Physics, if needed).
Reply 7
Also bear in mind mot universities look at what else you do besides your academic route. Having maths does make chemistry easier, however it is completely possible to do chemistry without it.
Reply 8
thanks for all your replies, but another thing... do all medical schools need maths a-level??
No. I'd be surprised if any of them required it.
Reply 10
James Gurung
...but maths is great nonetheless! :biggrin:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: So True!!
i think chemistry is the vital one. Alot of unis gave requirments something along the lines of "chemistry 2 other sciences (including maths as a science)", so personally i would do something like chemistry, physics and maths to keep pretty much all the science options open at uni.
No, you NEED Chemistry and Biology if you want a realistic shot at Medicine.

But, in effect, you only need Chemistry and one of (Maths, Biology and Physics).
Original post by &#946
No. Biology and Chemistry are the only essential subjects.

Chemistry and another science*
Reply 14
It's not essential, but another science such as Biology or Physics would certainly be beneficial - and I'd advise Maths. And then your fourth subject could be something completely different, like a language or an essay subject.
Either chem, bio and math or chem bio and phys
hsn
Chemistry and another science*

Yup. But not having Biology will limit your options somewhat.
Reply 17
I would have thought someone planning to be a doctor would have a genuine interest in biology anyway... :confused:
You have to do chemistry, and if you want a realistic chance you should also do biology, and then one of maths/physics would also be good.
Reply 19
ahaha how many different ways of saying the same thing are there?

Latest