The Student Room Group

Cambridge Computer Science (CompSci) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by ukdragon37

Part III is my safety net :tongue: I applied to PhDs in the US following the glorious footsteps of the year above (apparently they were so successful only two people stayed to do part III). So yeah, I'm determined to stay in research.

That may have been more down to the fact that Part III didn't exist until this year. I can't recall exactly, but I was on the Faculty Board at the time and there were something like only 7 or 9 applicants overall that year.
Original post by SunderX
That may have been more down to the fact that Part III didn't exist until this year. I can't recall exactly, but I was on the Faculty Board at the time and there were something like only 7 or 9 applicants overall that year.

Actually take up has been lukewarm this year too, but not for the lack of enthusiasm. In fact many people want to take it but they think they won't be able to meet one of the criteria, hence there's a student campaign currently going on to have the entry level lowered to a 2.i in part II. If we count the number of people who are currently known to be likely to get in (i.e. has firsts in Parts IA/B), there are only about 8 people and I know not all of them want to continue.
Reply 382

Actually take up has been lukewarm this year too, but not for the lack of enthusiasm. In fact many people want to take it but they think they won't be able to meet one of the criteria, hence there's a student campaign currently going on to have the entry level lowered to a 2.i in part II. If we count the number of people who are currently known to be likely to get in (i.e. has firsts in Parts IA/B), there are only about 8 people and I know not all of them want to continue.

Well, the requirement for getting on the MPhil course was a 1st as well; Part III was originally envisioned as an internal equivalent. There are exceptions clauses though - if someone's gotten a first in Part IA/IB and/or the dissertation they can still get through. Admittedly, given the small sizes of CS classes anyway, they might try to get more people in on the first couple years, but I think they're trying to maintain some sense of Cambridge prestige.
Reply 383
Original post by MrMorris
No problem at all :smile:

GCSE
Maths A*
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
Biology A
English Lit A*
English Lang A*
French B
Geography B
Systems & Control A*
Business Studies A*

AS
Maths A
Further Maths A
Physics A
Systems & Control B

A2
Maths (Predicted A*)
Further Maths (Predicted A*)
Physics (Predicted A*)

+ my offer is A*AA, I don't need the A* in any specific subject.

If you want module results I'll happily post them as well :smile:

helloo, I'd be really interested in your module results if you don't mind of course :smile:
Reply 384
Original post by h2shin
helloo, I'd be really interested in your module results if you don't mind of course :smile:

Certainly! :smile:

(All for AS of course)

Maths
Stats 1 - 100
Core Maths 1 - 100
Core Maths 2 - 97

Further Maths
Decision Maths 1 - 96
Decision Maths 2 - 88
Further Pure Maths 1 - 95

Physics (out of 120 aside from the coursework which is out of 60)
Physics On The Go - 110
Physics At Work - 120
Exploring Physics Coursework - 58

Systems And Control (dropped for A2, was an issue with the teaching which I explained on my SAQ)
Materials and Components - 63
Coursework - 85
Reply 385
Original post by MrMorris
Certainly! :smile:

(All for AS of course)

Maths
Stats 1 - 100
Core Maths 1 - 100
Core Maths 2 - 97

Further Maths
Decision Maths 1 - 96
Decision Maths 2 - 88
Further Pure Maths 1 - 95

Physics (out of 120 aside from the coursework which is out of 60)
Physics On The Go - 110
Physics At Work - 120
Exploring Physics Coursework - 58

Systems And Control (dropped for A2, was an issue with the teaching which I explained on my SAQ)
Materials and Components - 63
Coursework - 85

Thank you!

I'm a hopeful cambridge computer science applicant, and am a little worried.
I recently had my Decision 1 exam, and although I found all of it quite easy (easier than past papers) there was an 8 mark question that I interpreted wrong and didn't manage to get an answer for.
I'm thinking that I won't get 90+ ums for this module, do you think it'll be too much of an issue? should I retake?
I'm just annoyed because I studied above and beyond the requirement for this module, and I don't think the mark I get for it will be representative for my enthusiasm for the subject :s-smilie: what do you think?
You really don't need to worry about a single module sub-90%.
What if any work experience needed to get a place in comp sc in cambridge?
Original post by samitaguha
What if any work experience needed to get a place in comp sc in cambridge?

None.
Reply 389
I'm intending to apply for either Engineering (Electronics) or CS at Cambridge - I know they're top of the league tables but any insight into what Cambridge is like for CS?

Just that a friend of mine said (without knowing my intentions) that while they may be great academically, you'd be "laughed out of a job interview with a CS degree from OxBridge".

Any truth in that?

This line from CS^3 site worries me slightly and pushes me toward EE:

And don’t be fooled into thinking CS is meant for geeks who want to sit at a computer, programming in a darkened room for the rest of their lives.

If you remove the stereotype, (ie. switch the light on...), then that's more me than some sort of.. well whatever else really. By which I mean, it's fair to say I'm more geek than not!

I just don't want to regret which subject I choose - I'll keep the other up as a hobby I'm just not sure which to pursue academically.

Grateful for any opinions/insight - especially any graduates now working in CS!

Thanks.
Original post by FO12DY
Just that a friend of mine said (without knowing my intentions) that while they may be great academically, you'd be "laughed out of a job interview with a CS degree from OxBridge".

Patent nonsense. Graduate employment rates for the Lab are as close to 100% as they can reasonably be, and my personal experience utterly refutes the assertion above. Heck, some companies exclusively recruit from Oxbridge. Your friend sounds like they're suffering from either a severe case of sour grapes or flat-out not knowing what they're talking about.

This line from CS^3 site worries me slightly and pushes me toward EE:

And don’t be fooled into thinking CS is meant for geeks who want to sit at a computer, programming in a darkened room for the rest of their lives.

If you remove the stereotype, (ie. switch the light on...), then that's more me than some sort of.. well whatever else really. By which I mean, it's fair to say I'm more geek than not!

:laugh: I imagine that was not the intended effect! The course takes all types. I guess I'm not totally sure what your actual concern is here, but if you want to geek out, there will be more than ample opportunity to do so. :smile:
Reply 391
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Patent nonsense. Graduate employment rates for the Lab are as close to 100% as they can reasonably be, and my personal experience utterly refutes the assertion above. Heck, some companies exclusively recruit from Oxbridge. Your friend sounds like they're suffering from either a severe case of sour grapes or flat-out not knowing what they're talking about.

:laugh: I imagine that was not the intended effect! The course takes all types. I guess I'm not totally sure what your actual concern is here, but if you want to geek out, there will be more than ample opportunity to do so. :smile:

That was my thought when he said it. Thanks for clarifying.

Again, that's what I hoped!

Obviously they've put it there to be all-inclusive, raise numbers a bit and lose that image (which is probably the reason for suffering numbers).

I don't really know what my concern is either - obviously it's not 'dumbed down' - I suppose I just wouldn't want to be surrounded by people interested in the subject for different reasons to myself if you see what I mean.

I can see some would be interested because they think it's highly profitable, or because they love The Social Network, or whatever. Although I assume being Cambridge the selection of students are intelligent enough that you wouldn't come across anyone there with too moronic a reasoning!

Thanks again for your fast response. Although I can't say you've helped me sleep. "CS is BS, do EE" might have been more conclusive! Problem is that I enjoy both, and think I'd love to continue both. I find it crazy that EECS (ie ElecEng with CS) as a single degree is such a rare ocurrence in UK Universities - Exeter is the most reputable I've found to offer it, and an ABB requirement isn't exactly going to be my top aim (not at this point anyway! :-/) - but neither would it be remotely sensible to count on an MIT offer, which does offer it (I'm waiting for my January results to decide whether or not to bother applying - would need them all to be comfortably in top tenth percentile UMS to be confident of standing any reasonable chance).

(By the way, anyone reading this very anti-CompSci - feel free to use that awesome tagline, 'CS is BS', after a generous donation to my PayPal. That is not to say, however, that you have my support. Purely business.)
Original post by FO12DY
Thanks again for your fast response. Although I can't say you've helped me sleep. "CS is BS, do EE" might have been more conclusive!

Perhaps your subconscious is nudging you in the 'right' direction, then? :wink: There is some content in the course that might interest you. You can take a look at the course lists for each year by clicking on Part IA CST, Part IB CST and Part II CST here, but there is some digital electronics in first year - some analogue, too, if you take physics - and FPGA work with SystemVerilog in second year, alongside comparatively high-level architecture courses in all three years. Of course, nothing like a real EE course, but worth mentioning, all the same.

(I'm waiting for my January results to decide whether or not to bother applying - would need them all to be comfortably in top tenth percentile UMS to be confident of standing any reasonable chance)

I'm sure you don't need telling, but remember there is a quota on international students at MIT, so the acceptance rate is around 3 or 4%, about a third of that for home students. Best of luck if it's what you fancy, though :smile:
Reply 393
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Perhaps your subconscious is nudging you in the 'right' direction, then? :wink: There is some content in the course that might interest you. You can take a look at the course lists for each year by clicking on Part IA CST, Part IB CST and Part II CST here, but there is some digital electronics in first year - some analogue, too, if you take physics - and FPGA work with SystemVerilog in second year, alongside comparatively high-level architecture courses in all three years. Of course, nothing like a real EE course, but worth mentioning, all the same.

I'm sure you don't need telling, but remember there is a quota on international students at MIT, so the acceptance rate is around 3 or 4%, about a third of that for home students. Best of luck if it's what you fancy, though :smile:

Yeah, I know - that's why I won't even bother making moves toward applying if my results from Jan aren't shining. You don't get if you don't apply though!
I currently at AS do
Computing
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
IT

and are thinking of dropping IT for A2. I think at AS I could with a little luck get AAAAA.

If I hit the A*AA requirements what are the chances of getting a place? And if I get an A*A*A or even (maybe) an A*A*A* will other factors matter or will interviews and personal statements be a substantial factor in getting a placement?
I am currently doing As level Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing.
Next year i am going to drop computing. Do you think i stand a chance to get a CompSci offer at cambridge if i get AAAA at As and i am predicted A*A*A for A2?
Also do you think it would be worth taking futher maths As for next year as it won't be included on my application or will it?
Reply 396
Original post by Dirtybit
I am currently doing As level Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing.
Next year i am going to drop computing. Do you think i stand a chance to get a CompSci offer at cambridge if i get AAAA at As and i am predicted A*A*A for A2?
Also do you think it would be worth taking futher maths As for next year as it won't be included on my application or will it?

Well, you've pretty much listed out near perfect grades so why not?
And I'm pretty sure you have to say what you're taking at A2 in the application. If not, you can just mention it in the interview so yes! take Further Maths.
Reply 397
I am in year 12, and i would absolutely love to study Computer Science :smile:
My current A Levels are:

Maths
Further Maths
Computing
Economics.

My module results were : 87/100 UMS in FP1, 72/80 in COMP2. I have two problems however, do you think that the "low" UMS in FP1 and the lack of Physics will hinder my application? I'm also studying M1, M2 and possibly M3 in Further Maths next year. Do you think that will be enough Physics, or will i have to find a way to study an additional Physics AS? I am extremely worried :frown:
Reply 398
Original post by Sketch
I am in year 12, and i would absolutely love to study Computer Science :smile:
My current A Levels are:

Maths
Further Maths
Computing
Economics.

My module results were : 87/100 UMS in FP1, 72/80 in COMP2. I have two problems however, do you think that the "low" UMS in FP1 and the lack of Physics will hinder my application? I'm also studying M1, M2 and possibly M3 in Further Maths next year. Do you think that will be enough Physics, or will i have to find a way to study an additional Physics AS? I am extremely worried :frown:

It is preferable to have a third subject as a science but I don't think it should be too much of a problem. It just means that you'll have less options when deciding which Tripos to study. For example, I do study physics so would be applying for the CS, Maths and Physics in the first year, but you may be better off applying for just the Computer science with Maths in the first year. But this means if you get an offer, it will include a STEP requirement as well (Although likely to be much easier than STEP requirements of just Maths applicants).

I think the best way to go would be to start having a look at some step stuff and not worry about the physics. If you weren't interested enough to take it in the first place, I think it would be better to keep going with what you have already started, else it could all go terribly wrong. here are some links:
http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/step/Test+Preparation
http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/110501_Advanced_Problems_in_Mathematics.pdf
http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/121170_Advanced_Problems_in_Core_Mathematics_-_Master.pdf

Also have a look on this page:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/year1/

It explains a lot about the first year of the course, and as you'll see, if you do apply for Computer Science with Mathematics, and don't make the STEP offer, (they are quite difficult) most colleges will admit you to take the Computer science with Maths and another subject route. I'm not too sure but maybe you could do like Psychology or something and it wouldn't matter if you're not doing it for A-levels. Check with the college you want to apply to first though.

Again, My advice would be not to worry about the physics, as I think unless you couldn't take it due to course blocks or something, if you're not interested enough to take it in the first place it's more likely to go wrong than right. So focus on the maths and try some step, and if you don't make the STEP see if you can do another subject without having a formal A-level backing.
Reply 399
Thank you for the reply, that was incredibly helpful. And i guess i'm going to have to go for the CompSci with Maths option. Luckily i have a huge passion for maths too! :smile: And the reason for me not doing physics was because of the comprehensive school i attended prior to starting my a Levels at a grammar school; the previous one was the bottom school in the borough (and still is), so it introduced several measures to try to make the school look good, which included a "BTEC Science" qualification - those who did it simply would not be able to cope with the rigour of any science A-Level, it didn't even have exams, and was a complete waste of two years in my opinion. Unfortunately I had to go through that very system but i'm far, far away from it now ! :smile:

Original post by h2shin
most colleges will admit you to take the Computer science with Maths and another subject route. I'm not too sure but maybe you could do like Psychology or something and it wouldn't matter if you're not doing it for A-levels. Check with the college you want to apply to first though.

Do you know of any specific colleges where this happens? So far, the ones i've read about which seem to have an element of "leniency" to Physics A Levels are Corpus Christi and Trinity Hall. Is this true?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending