The Student Room Group

Cambridge Computer Science (CompSci) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asmuse123
I may not be able to take A Level Further Maths at my school, but I can take A Level Maths and Physics and I will take them. Also, I have learned Python and started learning the C programming language. However, most colleges in the University of Cambridge recommend that Computer Science applicants take A Level Further Maths, but St Edmund's does not recommend Further Maths or state that it would be useful for the Computer Science course. Does that mean they care less about Further Maths than other colleges? Plus, I don't really care about which college I would apply to since going to the University of Cambridge would be the best thing ever, no matter which I college I go to. :biggrin:

You really need Further Maths, trust me, I was in this exact position last year but in the end decided to take up the Further Maths. Without it you really stand no chance.
Original post by Kolasinac138
You really need Further Maths, trust me, I was in this exact position last year but in the end decided to take up the Further Maths. Without it you really stand no chance.

You're right. You're both right. I will do A Level Further Maths and just do AS Level Maths. I will do A Level Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and apply to do Natural Sciences at Cambridge. If I get accepted, then I will do Computer Science in the first year and think about whether I want to continue it or not.
Hi I am in year 12 now and I want to do computer science at Cambridge. .at gcse I got 7A*s and 3Bs (Bs in french, business and English language)...and I am doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry at AS, I am getting 98% in maths and 95% in physics and chemistry in the exams we've had at the moment. Do I stand a good chance? Also I do programming in c, python and a little java and have other extra curriculars?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
You're right. You're both right. I will do A Level Further Maths and just do AS Level Maths. I will do A Level Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and apply to do Natural Sciences at Cambridge. If I get accepted, then I will do Computer Science in the first year and think about whether I want to continue it or not.

Noooo. No point doing A2 FM but only AS Maths. I'm not even sure if that's possible... You definitely need A2 Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Noooo. No point doing A2 FM but only AS Maths. I'm not even sure if that's possible... You definitely need A2 Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll do A Level Maths, Physics and Chemistry with AS Level Further Maths. I'll do C1-4, M1-3 and FP1-2
I'll do A Level Maths, Physics and Chemistry with AS Level Further Maths. I'll do C1-4, M1-3 and FP1-2

I did this and got rejected. Seriously, take full Further Maths, trust me. I was in the exact same position you are and only settled for AS and I think it's why I got rejected.
Is IB further math necessary? I requested my school to open a further mathematics course (actually self-study), but the school rejected it....... Anyway, I am aiming for compsci in Magdelene. I hope I will be predicted 42/42 (2.5% off from a 7 in Eng Lit SL mock) I am quite experienced with web developing and web graphing/animiation etc., which means I have close to no prior knowledge in compsci.

Unfortunately, I only read a wide variety of books in anthropology and history (plus lots of Haruki Murakami's amazing works), but the list only includes 1 that is related to compsci (small things considered by Henry Petroski) and 1 in math (how do mathemticians think), so I am planning to read 2/3 more books on maths/compsci in the Cambridge reading list.

My MYP grades (equivalent to GCSEs) are terrible (4=C in Chinese literature and 5=B in Physics) I read that GSCEs don't matter right??? (PLEASE DON'T) My maths is not amazing as in I have never spent time in it. I simply followed my school's crappy math curriculum which got 70% of the year group in math studies, but I am getting an easy 7 in HL.

My chance is pretty slight, and I hope this makes other competitive applicants feel more optimistic!!!
Original post by klegend02
Hi everyone
So I'm in Year 11 and doing maths, FM, 3 sciences AS (coping fine) and got 11A*s last year. I thought I was going to do medicine but due to a lot of factors decided not to in October, so I thought I'd do my favourite subject, maths - which I'm ok at, got gold medal + book prize in the UKMT's Intermediate Hamilton Olympiad last year and a 35 on BMO1 and 10/40 on BMO2. But CompSci look pretty maths-y and I'm not sure about career prospects with maths (mathmos help me out?) but CompSci looks very good.

Unfortunately I last programmed seriously a couple of years ago (in C++) though I remember being really interested and enjoying it a lot; I have started again very recently. Basically, I would apply for CompSci but am worried that my apparent lack of programming/ computing experience and achievements would make me look bad at interview and communicate lack of passion. Does anyone think I have a chance? Do they really mean it when they say that they look for maths ability not computing experience? What do succesful Cam CompScis generally do to show their interest?

eg for maths I could mention all the maths challenges, a summer course I did and some reading. Obviously I'm down to read a few compsci books, but will this be enough given a lack of any 'concrete' achievement eg in CompSci competitions (though I have entered the Corpus essay and am doing a CompSci EPQ). Also I've never had the opportunity to study computing/ similar so idk if the course is right for me. Comments? Advice?
(No qualms about STEP; I am doing STEP I this summer and enjoy prepping for it)

From the resources I've seen/heard (admissions tutors, the CS website etc) their isn't that much of a stress on having past experience programming. However, I think it would be very helpful to your application to refamiliarise yourself with programming, and hence have something to talk about specific to Computer Science (such as programs you made that do interesting things etc), but it's often said that it isn't a bad thing to have no prior experience - it leaves room to learn new things, and you won't be in any bad habits etc.

With regards to Maths stuff, that's still highly relevant to a CS application, since Maths is the best course available that relates to a Computer Science degree (actual CS A Levels aren't that great yet), and if you are very good at Maths, then that's going to reflect very well on your ability in Computer Science, since the two are intrinsically linked, and the logic side of solving mathematical problems (particularly non-trivial examples such as those in BMO and STEP) is very useful.
Are GCSEs important here? i got mostly Bs, A* in Maths/Spanish and A in Physics, the rest Bs
Reply 709
Can I get into Cambridge with these results?

GCSE: 4 A*s (including Maths), 1 Distinction, 4 As, 1 B

AS: 5 As (including Maths), 1 B, 1 C

A2 (already did 2 in Y12): 1 A*, 1 B

I'm also doing AS Further Maths in Y13.
Will be applying for Computer Science in a couple months.

Just can't decide whether or not to go fro Computer Science w/ Maths or just do the regular Computer Science w/ Natural sciences.
Reply 711
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Will be applying for Computer Science in a couple months.

Just can't decide whether or not to go fro Computer Science w/ Maths or just do the regular Computer Science w/ Natural sciences.

Do which one you feel you are more passionate about. At the end of the day, that's what matters more to the admissions officers. :smile:
Original post by dlc_01
Do which one you feel you are more passionate about. At the end of the day, that's what matters more to the admissions officers. :smile:

Maths 100%, but my results - I hugely overachieved my expectations in Physics, and I underachieved my expectations in Further Maths... I'm basically better at Physics than I thought and not as good at Maths as I thought, so doing 0 physics at Uni sounds silly to me.
Reply 713
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Maths 100%, but my results - I hugely overachieved my expectations in Physics, and I underachieved my expectations in Further Maths... I'm basically better at Physics than I thought and not as good at Maths as I thought, so doing 0 physics at Uni sounds silly to me.

What were your grades and UMSs?
Original post by dlc_01
What were your grades and UMSs?

Maths:
C1 - 98 (typical that I lose 1 mark, my whole life story)
C2 - 95 (apparently I lost 7 marks, defo a lie if you ask me xD)
S1 - 96

Further Maths:
FP1 - 90 (really really upset about this, wanted 100, but because tons of people do FM AS level in Y13, grade boundaries are stupidly high)
M1 - 92 (no idea how I failed so badly)
M2 - 91 (over the moon with this result, expected like 85, means I'm now 1/3 of the way towards an A* in FM A2)

Physics:
G481: 80 (-_-)
G482: 143 (huge shock to me, I did best in year somehow... I hate Physics usually)
G483: 50 (standard tbh, only lost a few marks)

Economics: 159 UMS.... Needed 160 for an A so getting one of them remarked. Got 70 in one and 89 in the other (/100)

So I have a 92.8 Best 3 Average, 93.7 Maths UMS, 90.4 across all 4.

I was instead expecting like 97 Maths UMS but with like 85 in Physics. Instead got ~94 Maths UMS with 91 in Physics lol.
Hi guys-

I've just started Year 12 and I'm doing HL Maths (love it), Physics (really like it usually but we haven't done enough yet of IB HL to know properly if I really like it yet, think I will), History (love it) and Chemistry (sort of like it). I've learnt Java, HTML and CSS and I'm learning Python- I'm going to do my maths coursework and EE as coding projects (I've checked with my teachers that I can) because I would love to study CompSci at uni, it's perfect for me. But it doesn't change the fact that I'm going to have to drop either Chemistry or History to SL at some point. I know it would be better to pick Chemistry but I really love History- how much would Chemistry be worth on my application? Is it worth keeping at Higher even if I'm not as keen on it as I'd like to? What should I do?

Thanks very much.

Rx
Original post by Romula
Hi guys-

I've just started Year 12 and I'm doing HL Maths (love it), Physics (really like it usually but we haven't done enough yet of IB HL to know properly if I really like it yet, think I will), History (love it) and Chemistry (sort of like it). I've learnt Java, HTML and CSS and I'm learning Python- I'm going to do my maths coursework and EE as coding projects (I've checked with my teachers that I can) because I would love to study CompSci at uni, it's perfect for me. But it doesn't change the fact that I'm going to have to drop either Chemistry or History to SL at some point. I know it would be better to pick Chemistry but I really love History- how much would Chemistry be worth on my application? Is it worth keeping at Higher even if I'm not as keen on it as I'd like to? What should I do?

Thanks very much.

Rx

Our son got into CompSci starting this year with an offer of 40 with 776 at HL with no particular subjects specified to be 7. His HL subjects were Maths, Physics and Design (777). One thing you should keep in mind is whether Chemistry or History is more likely to give you a 6 or 7 as your third subject at higher level.
At his interview he was only asked questions about maths and physics, and his other subjects were't even mentioned.
Good luck with your IB year!
Original post by gretschforever
Our son got into CompSci starting this year with an offer of 40 with 776 at HL with no particular subjects specified to be 7. His HL subjects were Maths, Physics and Design (777). One thing you should keep in mind is whether Chemistry or History is more likely to give you a 6 or 7 as your third subject at higher level.
At his interview he was only asked questions about maths and physics, and his other subjects were't even mentioned.
Good luck with your IB year!

Thank you so much- that really sets my mind at rest, thank you!
Hi guys Im in year 12 and I do Maths, Further Maths, Comp Science and Physics AS Level.

Sorry if this has already been asked before but when Cambridge calculate your average UMS by looking at your 3 most relevant AS levels, in the case for Computer Science, with the A levels that Im doing which 3 would they look at?

Im guessing Maths and Further Maths but then would the 3rd be Computer Science or Physics?

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GarlicBread01
Hi guys Im in year 12 and I do Maths, Further Maths, Comp Science and Physics AS Level.

Sorry if this has already been asked before but when Cambridge calculate your average UMS by looking at your 3 most relevant AS levels, in the case for Computer Science, with the A levels that Im doing which 3 would they look at?

Im guessing Maths and Further Maths but then would the 3rd be Computer Science or Physics?

Thanks

I am pretty sure the 3rd would be physics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending