The Student Room Group

Cambridge Computer Science (CompSci) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

theorviv
Hm, I only found the 2008/09 material on the website (saying an update would occur over summer) - could you send me the link to the provisional stuff for next year?

You're correct, there isn't any course material for next year yet because the site hasn't been updated (and if last year is anything to go by, won't be for some time!) - I was going by the timetable which is accessible from the same page.
SunderX
I took a look at the new Paper 1 they offered my college kids this year and they're changed the format quite a bit now. They didn't used to split Discrete Maths into 1 and 2 - we had ours delivered in one horrendous block :redface:.

I got 6/20 for that question :P.

Ha, yes, we were told many, many horror stories about Discrete Maths. I think they must think they have finally got it into a format that people can just about cope with!
Reply 82
Mustardseed
Ha, yes, we were told many, many horror stories about Discrete Maths. I think they must think they have finally got it into a format that people can just about cope with!

This year's discrete maths I questions were pretty awful, though.
Scipio90
This year's discrete maths I questions were pretty awful, though.

Well, yes, I agree - I have no idea what I actually got on that question in the exam but one could say I made a meal of it, and I think that was an experience shared by most of the rest of us! The discrete maths II questions were much, much nicer - I believe at least one of them had as good as been an exercise on the examples sheet.
Reply 84
So I'm taking Computer science w/ physics + maths in October 2009. I am notoriously unorganized and had to revise A levels from just textbooks as I had lost all my notes. I know continuing in this manner won't work well in Cambridge as I'll actually need to use my notes for later on. I've decided that I'll be taking all my notes electronically using a laptop.

I need to know whether it is worth getting a tablet PC (i.e. a swivel screen + touchpad) or will I be perfectly fine with a portable clamshell + USB mouse. I had given up using a clamshell in school as I found diagrams and such to be quite a chore and by the time I had finished drawing them I was behind on notes. I.e. are there lots of diagrams to draw when in lectures, or is it mostly text?

Are there any tablets/laptops you recommend?
I was thinking about buying the Lenovo x200, with a small USB laser mouse, it seems like a pretty decent computer.

Thanks for your help.
EDIT: price isn't an issue atm.
Reply 85
You won't really need to take notes at all for physics, maths and compsci paper 1, since the handouts have pretty much everything you need to know. I assume paper 2 is the same.

If you do feel the urge to write crap down, save your money and use paper. This has the added advantage of not being known as "the ****** who takes a laptop to lectures."
Reply 86
You'll find it hard taking Maths notes using a laptop, unless you're extremely fast at writing latex code. Good old-fashioned pen and paper is a good idea (and is what I intend to use) or, if you insist on taking your notes electronically, a tablet would do the trick. I think having a laptop would be a good plan though, even if you don't use it for lectures. I've got a Lenovo N500 (T3200) that I plan to take with me. It runs smoothly with Windows and Ubuntu (the latter being used for all terms except the Part IA Michaelmas in the CompSci course).
Reply 87
dont buy any tablets until Apple have put their hand in. It should happen within the next year.

But as already pointed out here, you don't need to worry too much about note taking - the lecture handouts are pretty good, and anything you do have to write down you can copy verbatim from the lecturer who would be writing it up him/herself.
I have a Toshiba Satellite-pro L300-153. Insanely crap still after upgrading it to 500GB hard disk and 2GB RAM but I won it in a competition so can't complain :frown:

The tried-and-tested method seems to be taking down all the notes on paper and rewrite/reorganise them on your laptop. That way it will make more sense to you and you'll absorb the info as you type (hopefully)

I think a "basic" laptop would do just now, you can buy a much better machine in one or two years when you need it for your project and dissertation.
Reply 89
nuodai
It runs smoothly with Windows and Ubuntu (the latter being used for all terms except the Part IA Michaelmas in the CompSci course).

Hmm why not that term? Been having a look over the course notes today, that term in particular and I can't think of any reason that Ubuntu wouldn't do... I only ask as I use linux as my primary OS and only have XP installed through Virtual Box, so plan on using linux for the majority of my course.

More on-topic though, I'm also thinking of getting a laptop for before I go, although I plan on taking all my notes using pen and paper as I have heard that laptop-users are made fun of, and it's usually easier to use pen and paper! I'm thinking of some small netbook with a long battery life as I wouldn't expect that much from it, and I plan on taking my desktop with me. Reckon a netbook would be suitable?
mikru
Hmm why not that term?

Because they have to start somewhere, and don't want to put people who don't use Linux off by chucking them in with it before they've even started. Actually, the PWF machines run OpenSUSE (not Ubuntu). You're expected to do the ML practicals under Windows, but there's nothing to stop you using Linux the rest of the time if you do already.

plan on using linux for the majority of my course.

That's fine. I do; I used Windows last year only for said practicals.

laptop-users are made fun of

Indeed :wink:

Reckon a netbook would be suitable?

Probably. If you're taking notes using pen and paper, and using your desktop as your main computer, what are you going to use the netbook for? (I presume for doing stuff on-the-go, but I found I didn't need my own computer for that at all last year due to there being computer rooms all over the place anyway.)
Reply 91
Hmm. Are there any textbooks that we definitely should buy? The letter I got from my college just gave me a list to the 'before you go' reading list (which I might read a couple off, out of interest) and the 'recommended books' for each course, but didn't really give me a definitive list.

Mustardseed
That's fine. I do; I used Windows last year only for said practicals.

Ah good. I'm sure I can manage to do them alright through virtual box, so should be fine! :smile:

Mustardseed
Probably. If you're taking notes using pen and paper, and using your desktop as your main computer, what are you going to use the netbook for? (I presume for doing stuff on-the-go, but I found I didn't need my own computer for that at all last year due to there being computer rooms all over the place anyway.)

True, I have been struggling to find a use to justify buying one... I was thinking in between any lectures to save me going back to my room, but if there are enough computer rooms about, I think it'd be a bit pointless. I may just see how I get on in the first term and maybe buy one around/after christmas.
mikru
Hmm. Are there any textbooks that we definitely should buy?

My response to this would be almost certainly not - textbooks tend to be a) expensive and b) in a library anyway, so I would say there's no need to buy all of them. By virtue of the nature of the subject, you'll often find what you need on the internet and, while I can only speak for my college, supervisors, etc, I didn't find I was every specifically asked to look anything up in a specific textbook.

That said, I did find one of the recommended Operating Systems books very useful, if only because the notes provided turned out to be an extraordinarily condensed version of some of the chapters therein and the book was more comprehensible! Other than that, we were strongly advised to buy our own algorithms book, but that course doesn't run until Easter term.
ogloom
So I'm taking Computer science w/ physics + maths in October 2009. I am notoriously unorganized and had to revise A levels from just textbooks as I had lost all my notes. I know continuing in this manner won't work well in Cambridge as I'll actually need to use my notes for later on. I've decided that I'll be taking all my notes electronically using a laptop.

I need to know whether it is worth getting a tablet PC (i.e. a swivel screen + touchpad) or will I be perfectly fine with a portable clamshell + USB mouse. I had given up using a clamshell in school as I found diagrams and such to be quite a chore and by the time I had finished drawing them I was behind on notes. I.e. are there lots of diagrams to draw when in lectures, or is it mostly text?

Are there any tablets/laptops you recommend?
I was thinking about buying the Lenovo x200, with a small USB laser mouse, it seems like a pretty decent computer.

Thanks for your help.
EDIT: price isn't an issue atm.

Personally I use paper in lectures and then feed things into a flashcard program called Ankie. This means that from a few days after lectures I never use my notes. Notes are just a go between. I find trying to organise your notes and work out how to revise from them isn't worth the effort.

This is just something that works for me, the important thing is you work out a system that works for you. Most lectures have fairly good handouts.
Our Computer Science year clearly needs an opensource Anki deck. Revise smart not hard.
Reply 95
Hmm. Are there any textbooks that we definitely should buy?

OK, I'd say yes to the Cormen algorithm book - it's amazing and will do you for first and second year algorithms. I wish I'd bought one : ) Another good one is the digital electronics/verilog one by Harris & Harris. These'll both be in the libraries, but they're the ones that I'd say to buy if you had to buy any of them. Maybe just buy the algorithms one anyway ; )

I'd say that these are the two that I've used the most/actually read :P

And note-wise, I just annotate the handouts, occasionally have to use a separate sheet of paper when a proof is too big/longwinded/lecturer does it wrong several times... Then I keep all my term's handouts/notes in one big file : ) Again, wish I'd done this in first year :P
Reply 96
steelmole
Personally I use paper in lectures and then feed things into a flashcard program called Ankie. This means that from a few days after lectures I never use my notes. Notes are just a go between. I find trying to organise your notes and work out how to revise from them isn't worth the effort.

This is just something that works for me, the important thing is you work out a system that works for you. Most lectures have fairly good handouts.

Ok, due to the overwhelming majority (everyone) saying I don't need a laptop, I've decided against buying one :P
I guess I'll just make notes on paper and either scan them into my desktop, or manually write them up (the latter probably being more beneficial).
Cheers again lads.
ogloom
Ok, due to the overwhelming majority (everyone) saying I don't need a laptop, I've decided against buying one :P
I guess I'll just make notes on paper and either scan them into my desktop, or manually write them up (the latter probably being more beneficial).
Cheers again lads.

Seriously, the point about the handouts being good was... good. I doubt you'll end up needing to scan anything!
Reply 98
steelmole

I'm curious - what do you actually put into the Ankie flashcards? The CS courses don't strike me as something that translate very well into simple translations and definitions. Otherwise, it looks like a pretty cool program.

As people have said before, barely anyone brings a laptop into lectures, and it will probably prove more of a hinderance as you're often on the move at the break of every hour. As for notes, I use OneNote (you can grab it free off the MSDN when you get here), which has some nifty, if proprietary, features. To be fair though, I pretty much abandoned my note-writing this year and revised by haphazardly answering past paper questions - it's a wonder I survived the exams :P.
SunderX
To be fair though, I pretty much abandoned my note-writing this year and revised by haphazardly answering past paper questions - it's a wonder I survived the exams :P.

Please don't imply you can get away with that, I wanted to have to revise properly for once. =(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending