The Student Room Group

Is H815 Meng Chem engineering w/ placement year at Newcastle university a 4 or 5 yrs?

Can anyone currently doing this course please shed some light on it for me. On the website itself it states 4 year course but when looking at course details, it shows that the placement year extends the course to 5 years which is confusing me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MikeyA
Can anyone currently doing this course please shed some light on it for me. On the website itself it states 4 year course but when looking at course details, it shows that the placement year extends the course to 5 years which is confusing me.

I think the work placement extends the degree by a year.

From the website:

"You can apply to spend 9 to 12 months on an optional work placement between Stages 3 and 4. You can apply to spend your placement year with any organisation and will receive University support to do so. It will extend your degree by a year and is subject to availability. Find out more on about Work Placements."

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/h815/#coursedetails
Reply 2
Thanks a lot
Reply 3
Original post by MikeyA

The placement is optional. If you find a placement it adds a year to your total course duration. If you don't then you complete in 4 years.

It's common at many universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I know it's common,, it's just that when I was looking into universities I noticed Manchester university had an amazing 4 year Meng chem eng with year in industry and did that through distance learning courses (unfortunately was rejected). Just Had some hopes since Newcastle uni's site wasn't too clear 🤗😅
Reply 5
Original post by MikeyA
I know it's common,, it's just that when I was looking into universities I noticed Manchester university had an amazing 4 year Meng chem eng with year in industry and did that through distance learning courses (unfortunately was rejected). Just Had some hopes since Newcastle uni's site wasn't too clear 🤗😅

Manchester's course is unusual. The distance learning aspect adds a fair amount to the placement workload. And some people like that, ... and some don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hi, sorry this might be quite late but H815 is a 4 year course. The website is unfortunately misleading. But I did my 3rd year with distance learning modules and an industrial design project while simultaneously completing a full-time year in industry and now I'm about to completely my final year (stage 4).

Quick Reply

Latest