The Student Room Group

"Potential"

So, Oxbridge seem to be seeking applicants with mainly A*s at GCSE and "A"s at A-levels and etc...
...and also enthusiasm for their chosen course and "potential".

So, what kind of "potentials" are they seeking?
Someone who has been achieving the top grades all the way from a very young age?
Someone who was relatively poor at their chosen subject (eg, got a B/A at GCSE) and getting high "A"s

And do you like their applicants to be good at everything?

Thanks. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its important to remember most successful applicants will be applying with high A's, and high GCSE grades - and you can probably assume that most people who do will have always done fairly well (although evidently thats not something a Uni will have any specific knowledge about). So such factors can't really be included in 'potential', however you define it.

Personally, and from what I've picked up from tutors its the 'potential' for your subject - something that comes across in the academic interviews more than anything else... I.e. a natural aptitude for your chosen subject, as well as enthusiasm and effort.
Reply 2
Grades don't really tell you anything about potential to go further. Many people pretty much plateau at a good A Level standard -- it's the job of the interviewers to try not to select those!

Potential is normally more spottable in things like attitude, flexibility of thought, enthusiasm, interest, and a natural ability to think creatively (one way or another). Much of this is actively discouraged by the GCSE & A Level syllabuses.
Reply 3
"The work needed to cause the motion of a unit electric charge between two points. V = W/q, in which V is potential difference, W is work, and q is charge."

At least, I think that's why they hooked me up to the parrilla in the interview...
Reply 4
Hmm, the definition I learnt is the work needed to move a unit "charge" from infinity to that point, where "charge" could be, indeed, electrical charge, or gravitational charge (i.e. mass).
Reply 5
Zhen Lin
Hmm, the definition I learnt is the work needed to move a unit "charge" from infinity to that point, where "charge" could be, indeed, electrical charge, or gravitational charge (i.e. mass).

I was technically referring to potential difference, although I (and my teacher) often just call it "potential" as shorthand, because in the right context it's obvious that it means p.d. :wink:
Reply 6
Solemn Wanderer
Back when Oxbridge gave EE offers as a matter of routine, this argument would be tenable. :smile: In any case, there is statistical evidence showing that (in some subjects to a greater extent than others) GCSE results are a good predictor of potential.

At the time of application they are more or less the only solid evidence that the University will have as to the academic potential and history of that applicant; AS Levels are, of course, an important aspect, yet they only represent half of the entire A-Level.

It's important to stress that there is no such thing as an 'ideal type'; there are numerous (urban legends) of 'that applicant who had straight A*s and was rejected' and 'that applicant who had straight Cs and was accepted'. The interviewers are not a hive-mind -their personal preferences, their judgement of your potential during interview and their consideration of your portfolio all play a part. There's no statistical means by which it is possible to calculate your 'potential to be offered a place'. If there is, I'll eat my hat.
Reply 7
j_w
I.e. a natural aptitude for your chosen subject, as well as enthusiasm and effort.

Exactly. People can achieve top grades and amazingly high UMS scores, but it's also about you as a person in relation to your subject- it's a certain enthousiasm/thirst that you emulate that can't be shown through test scores alone.
Reply 8
Fillette™
Exactly. People can achieve top grades and amazingly high UMS scores, but it's also about you as a person in relation to your subject- it's a certain enthousiasm/thirst that you emulate that can't be shown through test scores alone.

Not always. My interviews certainly had no notion of assessing enthusiasm/thirst, only maths. I'd be tempted to say they don't care about your enthusiasm or ambition, only aptitude. That's only one college and subject, though.
Reply 9
Maths and Trinity, I'm guessing? But surely your enthousiasm for Maths is shown through your dedication to the subject, and doing stuff like the STEP, and BMO- which I should imagine is very challenging and takes a lot of thought.
Reply 10
Solemn Wanderer
GCSE results are a good predictor of potential.

Why is this so?
I'm just wondering because it seems odd to me!
They don't care about your other abilities or potential for Maths. I kept getting told when I applied to highlight my interests, do all this crap on my PS that I knew was pointless, then when I got the interview, of course they said 'We don't care about all that, we just care about how good you are at maths.' Most annoying when I tried to tell my teacher they were wrong.
millicent
Why is this so?
I'm just wondering because it seems odd to me!

People who are really clever at 18 tend to have been really clever when they were 16, too.
Reply 13
Fillette™
Maths and Trinity, I'm guessing? But surely your enthousiasm for Maths is shown through your dedication to the subject, and doing stuff like the STEP, and BMO- which I should imagine is very challenging and takes a lot of thought.

You guess wrong - Physics and Somerville, Oxford. :p: Also pooled to Christchurch, but they seemed to give a slight toss about my personal interest in the subject - it certainly varies between colleges!
Reply 14
2 niavesincerity^^Wow! Thank God I'm not applying for Maths. (Though you're probably right, my cousin's doing maths at Trinity and he's not really interested in much else :s-smilie:
Reply 15
HCD
You guess wrong - Physics and Somerville, Oxford. :p: Also pooled to Christchurch, but they seemed to give a slight toss about my personal interest in the subject - it certainly varies between colleges!

meh, somerville is mean, rejected my best friend!
I'm going to be applying for Maths. I have heard that "passion" for the subject is very important, but obviously ability is probably moreso.
Academically, I know I wasn't the best candidate there, my AS scores were lower than other people's. So they must have seen something that wasn't academic (maybe the fact that I smiled manically through both my interviews? Or that I argued back?) Or they just made a huge mistake :frown: Emma's reputation is also starting to scare me slightly....
I always thought of it as that something 'extra', like for example, there's this guy in my year who's passing all of his exams with flying colours, and just does everything academic amazingly well. But despite all this, I wouldn't say he had 'potential'- he wants to go to Cambridge to study maths, but he moans about maths a lot, although he finds it easy. He's been given a chance to do an AEA in maths, and everyone including the teachers are sure he'd do very well, but he can't be bothered. He barely revises for his exams (or so he says) and generally finds Sixth Form to be a bore.

But then you get people who are much more passionate for their subject, yet for some reason or another, perhaps haven't performed as well as those people who get extremely high UMS and that type of thing. I'd say that someone like that has more potential than the guy outlined above. But I guess it's a matter of opinion too, and at the end of the day, Oxford and Cambridge do want very able people.
Reply 19
And...another thing...
Two people I know who are extremely intelligent haven't got in, I don't really understand what they are lacking so I hope you guys can help me out again, thank you! ^__^

Friend 1:
She is naturally talented at maths, got into the european maths challenge thingy or something. She is also the best physicist at her school and acheived at least 8A*s I think. Went ont o get AAAAA at AS, AAA at A2.
She applied for maths at Oxbridge but was rejected. :/

Friend 2:
She is also naturally good at maths. Was the best mathematician at my school(she cam first in our school and another school's joint maths competition) with "outstanding" results. She did came to England when she was 16 and before that at her high school in china, shw was the best physicist in her school. And also probably at my school for her year as she got the annual physics award.
She however, didn't do too well in her GCSEs (I don't know what she got but she got a C in English - obviously, she just came here for like a year).
However, she did A-levels in maths, f.maths, physics, ICT and chinese, got all "A"s but didn't got accepted by Oxford for maths.

So what failed them? Interviews?

Latest

Trending

Trending