The Student Room Group

How to revise

Ok, ok i know its a vague question but i just need methods, because i need to get all A*-B in my GCSEs (to prove people wrong).

Plus, how do you use the past papers, do you do test conditions or answer them with your notes.

Thanks in advance.
You should want to do well in your GCSEs for you not to prove other people wrong! It's your life!

About the past papers, I think the most effective way to use them would be to actually do them in exam conditions, then go through the mark scheme, and learn anything you don't understand. I don't necessarily do that, but I think that would be the most beneficial!
As above: do it for yourself, not for other people! :smile:

I personally wasn't too strict with myself with my GCSEs: I just made a few notes, and mostly spent my time reading and re-reading my revision books/class notes.

Get your hands on some good revision guides if you can: they should specify somewhere on the cover/towards the front of the book whether or not they cover your exam board (you know - AQA, OCR, WJEC and so on). I used the CGP revision books, if I remember rightly. But they weren't particularly cheap, so I think I only got them for the subjects I found hardest.

If there are things you don't understand, read it again/make notes until you do understand. A good way to check you've learned the stuff is to give your revision book/class notes to someone else, and either try to explain the topic to them (without looking at your notes), or get them to ask you questions.

As for past papers - it's best to do them under test conditions, I find. I never bothered doing any for GCSE, but I did a few whilst revising for my A-levels. I treat it as an exam, and mark it (using the proper mark scheme) strictly. Then I see how I've done and, if needs be, do it again after revising more (so using pencil is best, as you can rub out your old answers!)

Oh - one other thing, if you have any coursework for any of your subjects: try hard with it. GCSE coursework often accounts for quite a high percentage of the total score, and because you can get coursework marked and do it again, it's an easy way to get some marks on the board.

Good luck! :smile:
past papersare great for maths, french and science exams in particular.

Latest