The Student Room Group

2008 medicine reject?

Glad you found your way here eventually.

Sorry to hear this. If it was up to me I'd let everyone in (within reason :p:)

Out of curiosity of the 4 which offered you interviews and which didn't? EDIT: Just read your post in the application forum...

This is a puzzle. Could it have been your UKCAT or maybe your personal statement was just written in a way they didn't quite like. Its really weird. At first glance and I'd have said you should have got a few interviews at least.

Remember not to let it get to you. It can be a lottery at times!

Good luck and welcome to TSR!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
UKCAT score of 600 - average but not bad id say

Hmm but the thing is...they didnt reject me until last month, so they couldnt have hated that much otherwise they wouldve done it sooner! Baffles me it does...

The other person in my year applying for medicine also got 4 rejections...odd right? and we didnt apply to all the same places either!

Notts offered me every other course under the sun apart from medicine and they said i couldnt swap after a year...:s-smilie:
Reply 2
I got rejected from all four as well and had a UKCAT score of 612.5
Reply 3
Vikid
I got rejected from all four as well and had a UKCAT score of 612.5

Oh lame! Where'd you apply?
Reply 4
kings ucl bsms and cambridge i think its because most of my choices where the really competitive ones
Pepe Le Poosh
It can be a lottery at times!

Totally, my UKCAT average was much lower than anyone else I know (540 :redface: :s-smilie: ). Dont let it get you down, otherwise it will affect your A2's. You have a very strong base of an application OP, reapply next year, Im sure the same wont happen again. Best of luck
Vikid
kings ucl bsms and cambridge i think its because most of my choices where the really competitive ones

i persume u took the bmat?

thats probably a stupid question but yeah lol

im sorry to hear about the rejections!
Reply 7
Get the As, have an amazing but relevant gap year, then reapply. You'll get a place. :smile:
Reply 8
Miss_Scarlett
Totally, my UKCAT average was much lower than anyone else I know (540 :redface: :s-smilie: ). Dont let it get you down, otherwise it will affect your A2's. You have a very strong base of an application OP, reapply next year, Im sure the same wont happen again. Best of luck

Yeah thanks :smile: was just a big let down! going to try my hardest to get my As - good luck with your exams and stuff!
Reply 9
once a failure, always a failure.
Gingersnap
Yeah thanks :smile: was just a big let down! going to try my hardest to get my As - good luck with your exams and stuff!

I can understand that. Some people I know have had 4 rejections, and although it must feel kind of personal, Im sure its not.

Like Rubix said, Im sure you'll get a place next year, especially with known grades.
madima

Quoting from experience?
Reply 12
well firstly, sorry to hear that.

all of the 4 med schools of your choice are very reputable places, and maybe more people with straight As apply to there. If you are considering re-applying then I would suggest to choose more carefully. eg 1 top choice (say imperial) 2 middle choices ( say places like liverpool, manchester or leicester), 1 bottom choice ( like keele or UEA). It's just an idea! people may rank their choices much differently than I do in their heart. But I would say there are definely more people with 9A* and 4As apply to london med schools, because its london common sense really.
Miss_Scarlett
I can understand that. Some people I know have had 4 rejections, and although it must feel kind of personal, Im sure its not.

Like Rubix said, Im sure you'll get a place next year, especially with known grades.

Yeah it look me a little while to realise that, i mean hopefully my academics will be finished so i can 'mature as a person' as they say haha :smile:
madima

That is absolute rubbish. Medicine is so competitive these days that it is becoming like a lottery - the OP has just had bad luck. Like previous posters have said, get the grades and have a useful gap year and reapply, you will get in.
bosongyin
well firstly, sorry to hear that.

all of the 4 med schools of your choice are very reputable places, and maybe more people with straight As apply to there. If you are considering re-applying then I would suggest to choose more carefully. eg 1 top choice (say imperial) 2 middle choices ( say places like liverpool, manchester or leicester), 1 bottom choice ( like keele or UEA). It's just an idea! people may rank their choices much differently than I do in their heart. But I would say there are definely more people with 9A* and 4As apply to london med schools, because its london common sense really.

Yeah i guess i wasnt really tactful with my choices but hey i thought id at least get a chance of an interview? but anywho...i shall choose my options very carefully next time :smile:
Reply 16
Gingersnap
Yeah well im afraid thats me this year...

...its sad though because you never expect it to happen to you, i mean ive got all the right grades so far, work experience in both the uk and america, in lots of sports teams, voluntary work galore but yet i still wasnt good enough...

Yeah it hurt :s-smilie: but i guess i had to get over it, in the process of talking to unis and stuff to get in through clearing! Ill get there one day!

Applied to Imperial, UCL, Notts, Bristol

GCSE: 5A*s 6As
AS: 4As

Anyone else? Hehe i cant be the only one ...

Yeah as people have said reapply next year,im sure you will get a place, especially if you get all those A's :smile: Did you ask for feedback from your unis?
Gingersnap
Yeah it look me a little while to realise that, i mean hopefully my academics will be finished so i can 'mature as a person' as they say haha :smile:

Well if it makes you feel any better, I know its a slightly different thing, but I had to resit my AS year. And although it has been a push/difficult to do 3 years of A levels instead of 2, I have learnt so much because of it and I wouldnt change it. Here comes the cliche of "everything happens for a reason", but chances are you will have a fantastic year whether you work, travel or do both.
b9muslove
Yeah as people have said reapply next year,im sure you will get a place, especially if you get all those A's :smile: Did you ask for feedback from your unis?

Well they kind of did - but nothing of any significant relevance tbh but i think when i get my grades ill have more options, i wrote to like 10 unis and some say that a gap year is more maturing etc
Gingersnap
Yeah well im afraid thats me this year...

...its sad though because you never expect it to happen to you, i mean ive got all the right grades so far, work experience in both the uk and america, in lots of sports teams, voluntary work galore but yet i still wasnt good enough...

Yeah it hurt :s-smilie: but i guess i had to get over it, in the process of talking to unis and stuff to get in through clearing! Ill get there one day!

Applied to Imperial, UCL, Notts, Bristol

GCSE: 5A*s 6As
AS: 4As

Anyone else? Hehe i cant be the only one ...

haha I know what you mean there

What unis do clearing? I can't imagine many do.. King's said they were unlikely to enter clearing this year, I know that much :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending