The Student Room Group

The Latymer School (Edmonton)

Is anybody considering/has anyone applied to Latymer for entry to its sixth-form?

We got a letter at the beginning of this year (way back in September '07) telling us that any future applicants would have to sit an entrance test :s-smilie: which to me sounds pretty harsh, since you'll just have sat your GCSEs.. Apparently it's because new government legislature has ruled that all applicants to schools, regardless of age, have got to be subject to the same procedure - so rather than scrap exams for prospective year 7s... :frown:

If anyone has any questions about the school/sixth-form, I'll be more than willing to answer them to the best of my ability. Suffice it to say that it's been a great place to be for the past six years.
I (as a senior pupil, leaving '08, in fact, probably one year above you) did attempt to argue against this decision with the rest of the SP team.

I'll miss that place... :frown:
Adje
Is anybody considering/has anyone applied to Latymer for entry to its sixth-form?

We got a letter at the beginning of this year (way back in September '07) telling us that any future applicants would have to sit an entrance test :s-smilie: which to me sounds pretty harsh, since you'll just have sat your GCSEs.. Apparently it's because new government legislature has ruled that all applicants to schools, regardless of age, have got to be subject to the same procedure - so rather than scrap exams for prospective year 7s... :frown:

If anyone has any questions about the school/sixth-form, I'll be more than willing to answer them to the best of my ability. Suffice it to say that it's been a great place to be for the past six years.

I'm probably applying to Latymer and Woodhouse College for next year =], but I'm a bit confused about the admissions policy thing- coz I know for Year 7, you have to live in their catchment area (which I was literally like 3 streets out from), so I was wondering if it also applies for sixth form entries =/
Andd also, would I be able to take 5 AS levels and continue 4 of those to A Level? or can you only take a maximum of 4 AS levels..
If you could give me some general information about what the school atmosphere is like and stuff, that would be great ^_^ ... I know a few girls from my old school (Henrietta Barnett) who went there, and they all seemed to love it! It's just that i read on some other thread that someone thought Latymer was "cliquey" and they said its really hard for new sixth formers to fit in - from your experience is this true?
sorry for the overload of questions, its just I'm really interested in considering Latymer properly for sixth form =)
Thanks xxx
Latymer doesn't allow people to do 5 AS levels, and you had to take an entrance test to get into Latymer Sixth Form last year (well external candidates), I had my application form all written out but I ended up forgetting to send it off :p: A few of my mates sat the test though
awww so you can't do 5 AS levels? damnn....at least woodhouse offers 5 though, but i'll decide between them after going to Latymer's open day too

lol haha sounds just like the sort of thing i'd do :yep: ...omgg why do they have to have a test as well, especially after our gcses?! oh well...
Reply 5
ice_dragoness274

Andd also, would I be able to take 5 AS levels and continue 4 of those to A Level? or can you only take a maximum of 4 AS levels..
If you could give me some general information about what the school atmosphere is like and stuff, that would be great ^_^ ... I know a few girls from my old school (Henrietta Barnett) who went there, and they all seemed to love it! It's just that i read on some other thread that someone thought Latymer was "cliquey" and they said its really hard for new sixth formers to fit in - from your experience is this true?
sorry for the overload of questions, its just I'm really interested in considering Latymer properly for sixth form =)
Thanks xxx

As far as I know, you *can* do 5 AS-levels here (or at least, I know of people in the current Year 12 doing 5). I did 4 ASes and am carrying them all on to A2.

In general the school is great - I don't really have anything bad to say about it. It can be a little bit 'cliquey' - but if you try and make an effort to make friends at the beginning of Year 12, you should have no problem fitting in.

Erm, anything else?

Adje :^_^:
woww thanks so much for your help Adje !! ^_^
ohhh awesome, i thought everyone only was allowed four maximum! would the fifth, if its allowed, have to be critical thinking/general studies, or could it be any subject you want? but yeah, I'll check that at the subject-options presentation thing (which i believe is also the sixth form open day)

Sounds great from your experience! =] do you know how other sixth formers who joined in year 12 found it?
i suppose all schools are "cliquey" anyway, but like you said it's about putting your own effort in

I was wondering how are the facilities in general like? and is badminton very big at the school or not really - as in do they have a team, coz that would be great =)

and also, do they have an interview as well for external applicants? I'm guessing they would ask for a school reference/report too...AND finally =] does the catchment area/postcodes boundary apply for sixth form entry too? =/ coz I live literally like 3 streets off it, would they maybe make an exception?

Thanks loads again :smile: xx
Adje
As far as I know, you *can* do 5 AS-levels here (or at least, I know of people in the current Year 12 doing 5). I did 4 ASes and am carrying them all on to A2.

In general the school is great - I don't really have anything bad to say about it. It can be a little bit 'cliquey' - but if you try and make an effort to make friends at the beginning of Year 12, you should have no problem fitting in.

Erm, anything else?

Adje :^_^:

woww thanks so much for your help Adje !! ^_^
ohhh awesome, i thought everyone only was allowed four maximum! would the fifth, if its allowed, have to be critical thinking/general studies, or could it be any subject you want? but yeah, I'll check that at the subject-options presentation thing (which i believe is also the sixth form open day)

Sounds great from your experience! =] do you know how other sixth formers who joined in year 12 found it?
i suppose all schools are "cliquey" anyway, but like you said it's about putting your own effort in

I was wondering how are the facilities in general like? and is badminton very big at the school or not really - as in do they have a team, coz that would be great =)

and also, do they have an interview as well for external applicants? I'm guessing they would ask for a school reference/report too...AND finally =] does the catchment area/postcodes boundary apply for sixth form entry too? =/ coz I live literally like 3 streets off it, would they maybe make an exception?

Thanks loads again xx
Hi

Basically I really wanted to apply to the Latymer school in Edmonton for sixth form but found out I am not in their catchment area.

As I live literally 2 streets off from their catchment area, and would have to take the same bus directly to the school from the same bus stop as the people in N2 (which IS in the catchment area) I thought they might make an exception to let me apply. However, when I phoned, they said that due to my postcode, it wouldn't be possible for me to even apply, despite this situation!

Anyway, the point is that it takes under an hour (as they require, which is why they have a catchment area) and less time than some of the people IN the area to get to the school. I have heard that they've made exceptions for some people in situations like mine, despite what they said on the phone =/

Do you think, given this, there's any point for me to still try and apply any way/make an appeal, as people have done before?
I've also heard of people giving addresses of family/friends who are in the catchment area....but this probably isn't worth the risk!

They have an open evening tomorrow, but I don't know if I should bother going or not now

Anyone been in a similar situation for schools with catchment areas? And if so, have you found they ever make exceptions in cases like this....and do many people succesfully give false addresses?

Thanks in advance!
x
Reply 9
I was wondering where I can find the 2011 application form. If you could message me with this information, I would be really appreciate it. Thank you :smile:
could I have some advice on the exams?
Reply 11
Has anyone heard from them yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending