The Student Room Group
Reply 1
if you want to be a fashion journalist often the best thing to be doing is an english degree and keep up your interest in fashion. this way you know you are pushing your creative writing to the maximum and having the best possible teaching. often journalism degrees aren't taken seriously in the industry because they just teach you what the industry is about. it's easy to find out what it's about through work experience etc.

Hadley Freeman is the best example of a successful fashion journalist. an oxford grad, who was editor of the "Cherwell" in 1998. read some of her articles in 10 magazine, and you'll see why her articulate use of english has allowed her to be one of the best fashion journalists around.

i also think LCF offer a fashion journalism MA which you can take after english lit degrees etc

also fashion journalism may also be limiting you career-wise. on my fashion design degree we learn illustration, fashion text, buisiness, fashion history, etc etc etc, allowing us to work in any part of the industry (including journalism). but with a fashion journalism are you able to do much else? what if you decide you want to work in a different part of the media?

obviously these are a few things you have to think about seriously. i'm not trying to put you off but give you a realistic interpretation of what the industry is really about
Reply 2
thanks a lot for your input. You haven't put me off because I want honest opinions of what people think to help me decide. I was thinking it was a bit of a niche area so considering a criminolgy and media studies degree, because this way i get to look at politics crime and the structure of the media industry. do you think that is a good idea? I have also decided to keep my English Lit A level on and I am now considering doing a MA in fashion journalism after my other degree.
Thanks so much for you opinion.
Alex
Reply 3
wow I am so in the same situation. I visited Southampton about the fashion journalism course and I really enjoyed it however i'm now thinking that maybe taking an English course would be alot better..
However as I am still very open minded into what I want to do as I am also extremely interested in the design aspect of the course and really enjoy editing and design (thus why i liked the course as of the mixed writing and layout design etc...)
So Im not sure whether a pure english degree would be right for me:s-smilie: However I am very interested in taking English. I would absolutely love to do a joint degree in perhaps enlgish and graphic design say but I really do not know if this is possible:frown: Or perhaps even a top-up degree in fashion journalism:smile:
As you can probablyyy tellll I am seriously in need of help hehe:P
I understand I have asked SO many questions but absolutely any input would be amazing!!
xx
I know I wrote this in another thread but just thought I'd reiterate my point once more re: fashion journalism not being taken seriously in the industry....
A couple of weeks ago, Colin McDowell came in to chat to us, he's just started a magazine with graduates from the LCF Fashion Journalism. And we also spoke to two girls working at Vogue.com who are also graduates, from Fashion Promotion which is closely linked to Fashion Journalism. There are different routes into the industry, undoubtedly, but studying a fashion degree doesn't mean that businesses won't take you seriously. Ian Webb, who is one of my lecturers, said if anything LCF is a huge tick on your CV when you apply for a job, it immediately makes people sit up and pay attention. Just thought I'd have my input...
Further more, LCF strongly advises you to get experience to get a good feel of the industry, and provides a good stepping stone to where you want to get to, as many magazines and companies come to LCF for students for short time internships etc. The lecturers are experts in the business first and tutors second, which means they really know what they're talking about. And while the title may appear to be limiting, a BA in fashion journalism at LCF offers more that just that. Already in my first term, I've learnt about broadcasting, shooting, editing, fashion history, teeline shorthand, vox pops, PR work etc etc. And further on the course, you get to try your hand out at a bit of fashion photography and some of the more visually creative sides of fashion, so it isn't so narrow minded as it might seem. Hope I've been of some help!
Reply 5
Ahh that sounds really good, I`m unsure whether to apply for fashion journalism or not at LCF due to rumours regarding the quality of teaching, how are you finding student life as well in london ?

Latest