The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd prefer Mechanics to decision.... probably. Even though I HATED GCSE Physics
i love decision!! i think it satisfies my OCDish tendencies with all those diagrams. you just have to work through everything even when you know you know how to do it. i guess you could regard that as tedious :p:
Reply 22
bright star
i love decision!! i think it satisfies my OCDish tendencies with all those diagrams. you just have to work through everything even when you know you know how to do it. i guess you could regard that as tedious :p:

The understatement of the century - I hate Decision, it's seems so pointless to me. I prefer real maths :wink:
Reply 23
Ummm, I think that you should take S1, I did S1 intially and I flopped it...got an E! I am now doing S1 and M1. I find stats so much more easier than M1.

Not being sexist at all but in my M1 class most of the people were boys and they all found M1 easy..they just got the concepts of it a lot more than we did and surprise surprise they ALL got an A in it
Stats is easier than Mechanics but if you enjoy Maths I think you'd enjoy Mechanics just because it's "fun"
mechanics ftw!
Reply 26
i did AS level physics and couldn't get my head around M1 at all.
I did C1-4 S1 and D1 and all of my class found S1 really easy.
I guess it depends if you want an easy but boring A or one you have to work a bit harder for thats more maths-ish.
Reply 27
It all depends on which one you will get you the grade, i think. I hate physics with a passion, and it was too easy for me to pick statistics. S1 and S2 are not hard at all, but it isnt that interesting either. I hear Mechanics is quite hard but that bit more interesting. But I don't think Unis will care at all which one you choose, as both have little relevance to medicine (i'm not sure about that, correct me if i'm wrong)
Reply 28
also something i just thought of -unis look at thousands of medical applications i doubt theyd have the time to go as far as looking at every single module each student had done.
Reply 29
beccy.
also something i just thought of -unis look at thousands of medical applications i doubt theyd have the time to go as far as looking at every single module each student had done.

yeah thats true, st georges didnt even look at my PS, let alone my module grades..
Reply 30
beccy.

Yeah I know, but thats exactly why I posted this. Competition is unbelievable these days, so I don't like leaving silly things like this to chance, only to find out a couple of months down the application line that they prefer one of them.
Reply 31
i did s1 for as last year and i found it easy, got a b but a lot of people got c's and much lower. For some reason they couldn't get their head around it, a friend of mine has got a in modules c1-c4 but got an e in s1 so is retaking it next week, however my cousin got e in both c1 and c2 but got an a in s1.
im doing m1 right now and i hate it, i need at least a b if i want to stay on track for my a but i would rather do s2, i heard from my teachers its much more interesting and easier, my cousin with the two e's is teaching it to herself and finds it easy, even my friend who got an e in s1 would now rather do s2 than m1 after all the initial learning, but its totally personal preference. all the people that do physics love it and would take it over s2 but everyone else doesn't. The majority of these people are retaking s1 due to bad results and after finishing the learning they have realized they would prefer to do s2. The teachers were going to give us a choice last year but they didn't. I remember one person asking their maths teachers why we don't do s2(this was whilst we were learning m1, right at the start) and she responded that most people failed s1 so how would we understand s2!

Woo that was a long reply sorry
Personally I think mechanics is much easier than stats, but then I did physics AS level, which really helped. If you did physics AS level, then I'd advise doing mechanics, if you didn't, then probably do stats.
In my school at AS normal maths we take C1, C2 and S1. The S1 exam is on Thursday and I'm going to fail. I hate it so much. AS further maths we have D1, NM (numerical methods) and FP1 (further pure).

Then A2 normal maths is C3, C4 and M1. A2 further maths is FP2, M2 and S2.

I don't think I'll be doing further maths next year if it requires S2...
avoid mechanics like the plague =]
Reply 35
Apparently stats is more useful than mechanics if you're thinking about medicine but really, I don't think med schools give a ****

Personally I took S1 and 2 but I do regret it because the mechanics modules look more interesting :/
Reply 36
I think the majority of people prefer Mechanics, going from the unbiased representation of my college.

(That was some stats. ha)
Reply 37
Mireme~
Apparently stats is more useful than mechanics if you're thinking about medicine but really, I don't think med schools give a ****

Personally I took S1 and 2 but I do regret it because the mechanics modules look more interesting :/

We got told by the head of maths that S1 and S2 would be more useful for medicine/sciency/biology related subjects at uni as well as finance- as he was told from a med student who used to go to my sixth form.
statistics
but not from personal experience
my cousin was a 1st year med student, and she was saying she found the stats module quite challenging, she'd only done maths to AS(C1, C2 + M1)

but then again, the mechanics and statistics in the first modules only cover a couple fo new chapters, the rest is pretty much gcse standard
Reply 39
@Princess

Yes but there is alot of stats which you learn in the statistics modules which are useless when you actually start doing medicine. When will you ever use permutations and combinations for instance? (medics, correct me if I'm wrong :P)

Put it this way, if you haven't learnt it at A level, I'm sure any medical school will teach it to you.

Latest

Trending

Trending