The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

2019 UCL Applicants **Official Thread**

Hi everyone, if you are applying to UCL, post below!

Course:
A level subjects / predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extracurriculars:
Why UCL?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin

Course:
A level subjects / predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extracurriculars:
Why UCL?

Course: French with Italian (maybe, I’m not 100% sure at this point but that’s what I’m thinking atm)
A Levels: French, history and economics. I did them in June (I’m taking a gap year) and I’m hoping for AAA/AAB but I have no idea if I’m going to get that
GCSE grades: 2 A*s, 5As and 4Bs (hoping this is good enough, is it?)
Why UCL? Amazing languages centre, ideal location, beautiful campus and always wanted to live in London
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hello.

I have recently graduated in BA Economics from India. I will be applying for Masters in Economics Fall 2019. My cgpa as 9.5/10 and final grade is O- Outstanding and have scored Outstanding grades in all three Economics special subjects for two consecutive years. I am preparing for GRE now and will give the exam in sept first week. Are my cgpa scores and grades decent enough for Msc Economics at UCL
Course: Geography BA
A level subjects / predicted grades: Biology, geography, mathematics ( A*A*A )
GCSE grades: Didn't do GCSEs, did the MYP so no A*s but AAAAABB (with one of the B's in music)
Extracurriculars: Worked at a nature reserve, organised the environmental impact project at my school, travelled and lived overseas, gave numerous presentations, charity work, student council, teaching english in a poor remote region, young geographer at the Royal Geographical Society.
Why UCL? Because I'm from London and it's been my dream to go there since I was young.
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m an international applicant!
Course: Psychology
ACT: 36
AP Grades: 5,5,5,5,5,5,5 (Psychology, Biology, Chemistry, Statistics, Calculus AB, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics)
Extracurriculars: Student leadership, Volunteering overseas and in my area, 2 research projects, currently intern at a psychology lab at the local uni
Why UCL? Love that it’s in London, has a great Psychology programme and is all around a fantastic Uni
(edited 5 years ago)
:jive:

Course: BA comp lit with a year abroad
A level subjects / predicted grades: Maths, English lit, French and Latin (4 A*s), plus (probably AS) further maths which I sometimes remember to self-teach (or @_gcx reminds me)
GCSE grades: 11 A*s
Extracurriculars: Singing, drama, debating/MUN, deputy editor of the school magazine, volunteering at a playscheme for disabled children, a 3-week internship at the civil service, an international relations summer school last year
Why UCL? Nice course, decent grade requirements, straight down the Piccadilly line so that my mum can deliver food
Course: MSci Maths
A level subjects - Maths, FM, Physics and history predicted A*A*A*A
GCSE grades: 7A*s, (inc. 3 9s) 3As and a B
Extra-curriculars: Maths extra reading, wikipedia etc. I'm a prefect but I was volunteered because they didn't have enough people and do absolutely nothing in that capacity unless it means missing lessons.
Why UCL? Good course

Original post by Quirky Object
x

This is your daily reminder.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
Course: BSc Maths
A level subjects - Maths, FM, Physics and history (might be dropping history). No idea what my predicted grades will be but my mock results were AAAB so I think I can get A*A*A predicted.
GCSE grades: 7A*s, (inc. 3 9s) 3As and a B
Extra-curriculars: Maths extra reading, wikipedia etc. I'm a prefect but I was volunteered because they didn't have enough people and do absolutely nothing in that capacity unless it means missing lessons.
Why UCL? Good course

This is your daily reminder.

Why not MSci?
Reply 8
Course: Maths
A level subjects / predicted grades: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry (Probably looking at A* in Maths, and then 3A* prediction)
GCSE grades: 998 7A*s 1A
Extracurriculars: You're a jokeman idk. Play Trumpet, BMO1?
Why UCL? London is my city. Looks pretty too.
Course: Maths/Engineering
A Level Subjects/Predicted Grades: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry // Prediction A*A*A*A*
GCSES: 998 6A*s 4As
Extracurriculars: Grade 8 Piano, Grade 7 Guitar, BMO1, national champion in a certain sport (anonymity is cool!), other things
Why UCL?: I have no idea whatsoever,
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Course:
Biomedical Sciences;
A level subjects / achieved grades/predicted grades:
Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Geography/A*AAaa/A*A*AAa-A*AAAa (a in Geography)
GCSE grades:
International student so no GCSEs;
Extracurriculars:
Piano Level 8; Extracurricular readings into university contents in physiology, biochemistry and neuroscience; Take online courses on these subjects from edX etc; Teacher's assisstant; MUN; Speeches and presentations inside and outside school;
Why UCL?

UCL is very good at medical and life sciences in terms of both research and teaching; UCL is ranked among the top 10 or 20 universities in the world and has good reputation; I went to London before and really love this city!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Black Water
Why not MSci?

Think I've put down msc on my ucas form and I do intend on staying on 4 years wherever I go grades permitting. It doesn't really matter since I can switch between the two.
Reply 12
Original post by _gcx
Think I've put down msc on my ucas form and I do intend on staying on 4 years wherever I go grades permitting. It doesn't really matter since I can switch between the two.

Fair enough, good point.
Course: International Relations
Subjects: taking the SAT Composite, 3 SATII's, and AP computer science, Comparative government, and Biology.
GCSE's: International student
Extracurriculars: Model U.N, Volunteer Internship at a human rights NGO, local volunteering, and Flute
Why UCL: location, education, and status are what brought interest to UCL.

Does anyone know if UCL gives conditional offers asking for future SAT composite and SATII scores? Hoping to be take the SAT II's in November to send those scores instead of the AP's.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by mortlort
Course: International Relations
Subjects: taking the SAT Composite, 3 SATII's, and AP computer science, Comparative government, and Biology.
GCSE's: International student
Extracurriculars: Model U.N, Volunteer Internship at a human rights NGO, local volunteering, and Flute
Why UCL: location, education, and status are what brought interest to UCL.

Does anyone know if UCL gives conditional offers asking for future SAT composite and SATII scores? Hoping to be take the SAT II's in November to send those scores instead of the AP's.

I believe UCL only look at your 5 AP scores
Reply 15
Course:Mathematical Computation MEng
A level subjects / predicted grades: A* in Mathematics, A* in Physics, predicted A* in Chemistry, and predicted A in Economics. I will start FM in Grade 12, as I am studying A-level in an international school aboard.
GCSE grades: No GCSE experience, but I took Zhongkao in China with the score 564 out of 580.
Extracurriculars: Two "Meritorious" certificate in International Mathematical Modeling Challenge. I study programming by myself and use the knowledge I have learnt in the above competitions.
Why UCL? It is a top university, which suitable for good students, like me.
Original post by Snufkin

Course: Economics BSc (Econ)
A level subjects / predicted grades: Economics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths / 4A*s
GCSE grades: 7A*s (only 8 subjects were available at my school)
Extracurriculars: EPQ, essay competition, volunteering at Salvation Army, work shadowing at hospital, work experience as a maths tutor
Why UCL? Mainly reputation and location
Anyone know how quickly UCL looks at applications? I’m planning to submit mine in October and I’m wondering when I might expect to hear back.
Reply 19
Original post by polygonalveoli
Anyone know how quickly UCL looks at applications? I’m planning to submit mine in October and I’m wondering when I might expect to hear back.

I'm not sure, but usually you can get a good indication if you look at last year's UCL applicants thread and when people started saying they got replies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending