The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

int_relations_2k8
Soooo many people have amazing grades.
Your extra curricula stuff is equally important.

Sorry, but that's totally not true. I've done loads of access work and open days and stuff, and every tutor I've ever heard talk about that stuff says they're much, much more interested in the academic side of things. Some say it's a pleasant bonus if you've got lots of other interests, but I don't think any of them judge you on them in the same way as they judge you on academic standards.
NadiaG
Hey there, i was just wondering if you guys would give me some advice on applying to Oxford.

Looking at my grades:

GCSE: 10 A*/3 A's
(English Lit+Lang, Mathematics, Triple Science, Physical Education, History, Religious Education, Geography)/(Food Technology, Drama, French)

AS Levels: 5A's (General Studies, Mathematics, History, Drama, Geography) ;thumbsup;

A Levels: 4A's (Mathematics, Drama, Geography, History)

And My Hobbies/Interests:

Reading, Studying, Raving, Canoeing/Kayaking, Tap Dancing And Swimming.

Would you think that Oxford would let me in? Or would i be kicked off the waiting list right away :eek:

Thanks. :smile:

It's a ridiculous question

1. Extra-curriculars mean nothing
2. Your GCSEs hint that you may be intelligent enough, but ultimately it's your entrance exam and/or interview that will get you the place

Edit: i don't think 'raving' counts as a hobby either
NadiaG
Would you think that Oxford would let me in?

They might do. Why don't you apply and find out? :p:
NadiaG
Or would i be kicked off the waiting list right away :eek:

You'd have to try very hard for that to happen with those grades.
Reply 383
I am completely confuzzled by both of these will cambridge/oxford accept me? threads. I think it's obvious they would, given you have a good interviewing process. What's the point?
Reply 384
go away thread, go away.

you should have put this and the cam thread into one.

and by this point you should know whether you want to apply to ox or cam.
Reply 385
dudes i got rejected last year and am hoping to re apply and get the place this time...
NadiaG
dudes i got rejected last year and am hoping to re apply and get the place this time...

Do you know what aspect of your application let you down last time?
Reply 387
You kinda need to know what you want to study?
That is a good starting point.

Second you have posted two threads on whether either cam or ox will accept you. Its important to decide on just one. Which one did you apply for last year? Maybe try the other one?

Woah! You were rejected? Did you get any other offers? What did you apply for- Maths, Medicine?! Were you offered an interview- coz you props didn't do well enough on the entrance exam/interview

I personnaly think it is worth the shot. However i recommend applying to the other one . (the one you didn't apply to last year)
they'll never let you in unless you say what you want to study.
Reply 389
You clearly work too hard to see that you've been wasting your time.

I suggest you don't bother re-applying, because they've already made up their mind that you're nothing *special*.

Oxbridge don't need you, and you don't need them.
Take your skills and your dedication, and go do a degree which enables you to get REAL work when you come out [you won't get this from Oxbridge].
This is the easiest way for you to make a difference in the world.
Forget those pompous degrees and be in a position to earn some decent money for yourself and your future family.

...unless of course you strive to be a politician; in which case what I said doesn't apply.

Good luck to you.
Reply 390
i want to pursue a career in medicine, hopefully a brain surgeon? Im guessing the whole voluntary work aspect let me down in my past interview, as i really havent paid much attention to that at all. What would you think i should do to get myself in at least this time!?
Reply 391
NadiaG
i want to pursue a career in medicine, hopefully a brain surgeon? Im guessing the whole voluntary work aspect let me down in my past interview, as i really havent paid much attention to that at all. What would you think i should do to get myself in at least this time!?

If you want to do medicine at oxford you need Chemistry at least...but do you know what course you are applying for? you still haven't said that...and yes you have the grades to get in:smile: but it all depends on the interviews and the other people they interview and how competitive your college and course is. Not just grades, otherwise everyone with X amount of A*s would get in!!
Reply 392
jez0990
You clearly work too hard to see that you've been wasting your time.

I suggest you don't bother re-applying, because they've already made up their mind that you're nothing *special*.

Oxbridge don't need you, and you don't need them.
Take your skills and your dedication, and go do a degree which enables you to get REAL work when you come out [you won't get this from Oxbridge].
This is the easiest way for you to make a difference in the world.
Forget those pompous degrees and be in a position to earn some decent money for yourself and your future family.

...unless of course you strive to be a politician; in which case what I said doesn't apply.

Good luck to you.

Sorry what do you mean you can't get a decent degree at Oxbridge? Pompous degrees?!? is that what you call them :biggrin:

Oxbridge is one of the best unis in the world, allows you to get an EXCELLENT DEGREE and has a fantastic reputation. I think you find people graduating form Oxbridge are generally guaranteed a very god job.

Btw NadiaG i think you should apply to Oxbridge and get a pompous degree!
Reply 393
Oxford brooks maybe
NadiaG

so jsut to clarify, you applied last year for medicine at where? and you want to apply for medicine again, yes?

what voluntary did you have? i didn't have all that much but still got in, mainly due to my BMAT i believe.
NadiaG

Um I wouldn't just assume that, you should ring up and find out exactly what it is; this will give you an indication as to whether it's worth reapplying or not.
czr1234
Oxbridge is one of the best unis in the world

You make it sound as if there is a University of Oxbridge

I know im being pedantic, but it really annoys me when people say Oxbridge :redface:
NadiaG
AS Levels: 5A's (General Studies, Mathematics, History, Drama, Geography) ;thumbsup;

Liar liar pants on fire

You applied for medicine without a single science A-level?

:rolleyes:
Is this another 'Look at me' thread?

You're most likely good enough.
Reply 399
Hashshashin
They might do. Why don't you apply and find out? :p:

You'd have to try very hard for that to happen with those grades.

What do you mean she'd have to try very hard with those grades lol?

Latest

Trending

Trending