The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HassanKhoja
okay i live in Pakistan, here we do not have GCSE's, we have GCE's instead. Now i am not sure how they are regarded over there but my grades are as follow:
5 A's and 5 B's
Nothing that an A is the highest you can go 90-99% (percentile) unless you get a distinction. Good enough?

Hello Hassan,
If you have done the GCE, I am assuming you first took 'O' Levels and are now in the midst of your 'A' Levels because there are two parts to GCEs. If so, could you please clarify whether the grades you have provided are for your 'O' Levels or your 'A' Levels. And we'll help you from there.
Good look and study hard,
Zahrah
hi folks

I'm interested in MEDICINE.

GCSEs: 12A*2A (An A in Chemistry, which happens the be the most important subject of them all for my interests).

Not 100% A*s but.......how much of a chance do I have and what do I need to do to improve it?
Ppe at Oxford grades see sig :frown:
Reply 3983
trollman
Ppe at Oxford grades see sig :frown:

Your grades are fine.

Scientific Calculator
hi folks

Your grades are absolutely fine. Retaking GCSE chemistry will not help you in the slightest. However, be aware that if you're an international student it's very, very difficult to get in for medicine at Oxford — only about 1 in 30 applicants is accepted.
BJack
Your grades are fine.

Your grades are absolutely fine. Retaking GCSE chemistry will not help you in the slightest. However, be aware that if you're an international student it's very, very difficult to get in for medicine at Oxford only about 1 in 30 applicants is accepted.

Thanks for your help. I'm not an international student lol so thats not so bad. And yes I decided not to resit because they know anyway!
can anyone kindly tell me that if a person has 4 A* in his/her A level but in gcse just two As followed by Bs and Cs ..... can a person with such grades get addmission in oxford for medicine???????? plz plz plz help me :frown:
Reply 3986
So i was just wondering what gcse and as grades did u get which made you apply or get a place at oxford or cambridge?
This should be in the Oxbridge forum where a simple search will return loads of information :yep:

Anyway, 2 A*s and 1 C

AS: AAAABC
6 Bs, 4 As and an A*
A levels: AAAAA
is your school giving you the "you need x-many and no fewer A*s to apply otherwise you're not allowed" spiel?

ours did that. but a few of us applied anyway. we got in trouble, but i want to know how far i will get. i'm applying- i got 4 a*s and 6 as at GCSE, and got A*AAAA for my AS grades.
1 a*, 3 a's, 5 b's and 2 c's.

4 a's at a level.

i hate schools that try and stop you applying for oxbridge/other uni's who ask for high grades. it's your ucas application, you have to be in it to win it, and quite often universities accept that many students develop later than others etc.
Well its not impossible, but GCSEs show a degree of consistency.
In the interview you could be asked how come you achieved so low...unless you have extenuating circumstances...in which the person should apply for the CSAS -> Cambridge Special Access Scheme. For Oxford you just have to tell the college what extenuating circumstances you have.
Reply 3992
Yh apparantly we shudn't even bother applying if we havent got at least 6A*s
Aysh161

That's the average. There are many with way more and there are many with way less.
Scientific Calculator
hi folks

GCSEs: 12A*2A (An A in Chemistry, which happens the be the most important subject of them all for my interests).

Not 100% A*s but.......how much of a chance do I have and what do I need to do to improve it?

STOP PRETENDING YOU'RE WORRIED.
Scientific Calculator
hi folks

:yawn: Your chances are determined by your A level results and GCSEs are used to reed out the weaker applicants...which I will say isn't thecase by your GCSEs :rolleyes:
If you came to us and asked what are your chances of medicine in Oxbridge with "Such and such" grades and GCSEs, then perhaps you'll get a better response. Also, you'll generally get more accurate advice in the medicine subforum. Until then, get your AS/IB/Highers grades :colonhash:
Reply 3996
Aysh161

That's ridiculous. As someone else said, that's the average. Considering there are a lot of people with 9/10 A*, then it's obvious that there are people with far fewer. Schools shouldn't be allowed to say things like this!
You... you missed the sticky?
:lolwut:
Mind you, OP - Helps to spell Oxford correctly.
Anyone who thinks you need several A*/A at GCSE is a off their ******* rocker - I see it as nothing more than a measure of consistency.
monia sajid
can anyone kindly tell me that if a person has 4 A* in his/her A level but in gcse just two As followed by Bs and Cs ..... can a person with such grades get addmission in oxford for medicine???????? plz plz plz help me :frown:

Yes, but interview decisions (because only ~40% of applicants make it to the interview stage) are made on the basis of BMAT and GCSEs, so comparatively poor GCSEs (the page below shows that ~3% of applicants have 0-10% A*s - i.e. none or one) would disadvantage you in terms of ability to get an interview:

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/courses/preclin/statistics

Sadly, I can't find the table they used to publish, but essentially, if you come in say the bottom 10% of GCSE grades you would need to be in the top 10% of BMAT scores to get an interview. So, ace the BMAT....

Latest

Trending

Trending