The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
vol de mort.
Do you know which colleges are more relaxed about it? :smile:

I'm not sure, but have a look on the site at the colleges, they usually have the requirements on there. I had a look at the Cambridge site a while ago, and there was a huge difference, with one college requiring "5A*s minimum, preferrably 9" (EEK!) and another one wanting 5 A*-C. So I think the website would be the best bet! Good luck! :smile:
I'm in similiar situation as you; 2A*s 7As 2Bs,
I've taken RS,English Lit, History and Spanish..
(edited 13 years ago)
TheStudent.
Hi, do you think i'll be able to get in Oxbridge with the following GCSE grades:

A* - English Literature
A* - R.S
A* - D.T
A - English Language
A - History
A - Science
A - Additional Science
B - Maths
B - Geography
E - French

Also do you think I should retake the French to be able to stand a chance? Or just leave it??
Thank you, i'd really appreciate a reply :smile:

What do you want to study? This will make a difference, if you want to study modern forgein languages, then Yes you need to retake and get A/A*!

If not then one E doesnt matter, a bigger problem is the B in maths I would say if you are applying to a science subject altough to be honest I cant really give you an indication without knowing the subjects you are applying for.

Id be happy to get back to you after you give this extra info. Thanks
Hi I want to potentially study History and English at Oxford:
Here are my GCSEs
Maths-B
Art-A*
Eng Lang-A
Eng Lit-A*
Core Science-A
Additional Science-A
History-A
Drama-A
DT-A
French-A

I'm not expecting anything less than As in my A levels. Is this ok? I go to a really good Grammer school and everyone got like 9A*s and i'm feeling really insecure about my GCSEs.
.Ali.
I'm not sure, but have a look on the site at the colleges, they usually have the requirements on there. I had a look at the Cambridge site a while ago, and there was a huge difference, with one college requiring "5A*s minimum, preferrably 9" (EEK!) and another one wanting 5 A*-C. So I think the website would be the best bet! Good luck! :smile:

Ok, will do! Thank you :smile:
StudentOfTheMonth
I'm in similiar situation as you; 2A*s 7As 2Bs,
I've taken RS,English Lit, History and Spanish..

Oh wow, that's cool! What do you want to study at uni?
StanleyThePanda
Hi I want to potentially study History and English at Oxford:
Here are my GCSEs
Maths-B
Art-A*
Eng Lang-A
Eng Lit-A*
Core Science-A
Additional Science-A
History-A
Drama-A
DT-A
French-A

I'm not expecting anything less than As in my A levels. Is this ok? I go to a really good Grammer school and everyone got like 9A*s and i'm feeling really insecure about my GCSEs.

Your GCSEs aren't great, but they're not terrible either. If your AS grades and predictions are good, and you work hard on your other admissions stuff, you have a shot.
I want to study:
Engineering, Economics and Management
At Oxford and the entry reqirments are AAA.
I have A*A*B at A level and am currently studying MEng Mechanical Engineering at The University of Sheffield.
What are your thoughts?
Will I get in?

Cheers
Jeester
vol de mort.
Oh wow, that's cool! What do you want to study at uni?

Theology
StudentOfTheMonth
I've currently started my AS Levels; I have taken:
-Theology
-History
-English Lit.
-Spanish

For GCSE's I got
2 A*s (3 A*S if you count Physics as seperate), 7 A, 2 B's

This is from a public school.

I must admit I'm crazy about studying Theology at Oxford, would be a dream come true.
Do you reckon I have a chance, especially as I believe I should be getting AAA-AAA* at A levels?

Also should I be doing anything about it at THIS stage?

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry but I don't go to a public school,i meant state school.
StudentOfTheMonth
Theology

Ahh, cool :smile:
vol de mort.
Ahh, cool :smile:

Do you go to a public or state school??
StudentOfTheMonth
Do you go to a public or state school??

Well I went to a private secondary school, now I'm at a grammar school for sixth form :smile: Why?
Reply 5993
vol de mort.
Well I went to a private secondary school, now I'm at a grammar school for sixth form :smile: Why?

Because at private school, people get better GCSE grades, so the average pupil from a private school gets way better GCSE grades than the average pupil from a state school. They sometimes take this into account at Oxford. Your GCSE's may be fine from a state school, but they are quite average for a private school. Meh, I'm applying with 1A* 4A's 4B's 1C from a state school, but I have 3 A's 1B at AS level and A*AA predictions with a solid personal statement and reference. I dont rate my chances highly, but it sometimes is a bit of a lottery. Many talented people get rejected.

The way I see it is that AS Level grades A2 predictions, reference and Personal statement are way more important than work you did 2 years ago. I've been told Merton and Magdelen put more weight on your GCSEs than other colleges. I'm applying to Lincoln. Just apply, no harm done if you get rejected.
RobG93
Because at private school, people get better GCSE grades, so the average pupil from a private school gets way better GCSE grades than the average pupil from a state school. They sometimes take this into account at Oxford. Your GCSE's may be fine from a state school, but they are quite average for a private school. Meh, I'm applying with 1A* 4A's 4B's 1C from a state school, but I have 3 A's 1B at AS level and A*AA predictions with a solid personal statement and reference. I dont rate my chances highly, but it sometimes is a bit of a lottery. Many talented people get rejected.

The way I see it is that AS Level grades A2 predictions, reference and Personal statement are way more important than work you did 2 years ago. I've been told Merton and Magdelen put more weight on your GCSEs than other colleges. I'm applying to Lincoln. Just apply, no harm done if you get rejected.

I'm from a state school, and going to a state 6th form college,so I guess we're on the same boat, i'm just a year below. Wish you best of luck, have you sent off your application and the personal satement?
Reply 5995
vol de mort.
For my GCSEs I got: 3A*s, 4As and 2Bs. I'd like to study English at Oxford, but I'm worried my GCSEs will hold me back. Say I got excellent AS and A level grades - do you think I'd have a chance at Oxford?

Surely you'd have a chance if you can excel in your AS and A levels.
Reply 5996
StudentOfTheMonth
I'm from a state school, and going to a state 6th form college,so I guess we're on the same boat, i'm just a year below. Wish you best of luck, have you sent off your application and the personal satement?

Yep! They were sent off today! :biggrin: Just the waiting now!
I want to study Computer Science at Oxford and I've got:
AS Maths - A
A2 Computing - A
AS Physics - C , will be pushed to a B after the practical resit

But at A2 i dropped physics and I'm studying AS and A2 further maths within a single year and should get an A. I am also studying A level ICT and should get a distinction.
However my GCSEs are pretty poor and they were:
English Lit - A*
English Lang - A
History - A
Maths - B
Statistics - B
R.E - B
Science A - A
Additional Science - B
Music - B
BTEC Diploma Media Studies - Distinction

I'd really like to go to Oxford but I think my GCSEs in maths and science are going to let me down. I go to a state school (The Armthorpe School). Is there any point in applying?
(edited 13 years ago)
slayer570
I want to study Computer Science at Oxford and I've got:
AS Maths - A
A2 Computing - A
AS Physics - C , will be pushed to a B after the practical resit

But at A2 i dropped physics and I'm studying AS and A2 further maths within a single year and should get an A. I am also studying A level ICT and should get a distinction.
However my GCSEs are pretty poor and they were:
English Lit - A*
English Lang - A
History - A
Maths - B
Statistics - B
R.E - B
Science A - A
Additional Science - B
Music - B
BTEC Diploma Media Studies - Distinction

I'd really like to go to Oxford but I think my GCSEs in maths and science are going to let me down. I go to a state school (The Armthorpe School). Is there any point in applying?

Perhaps at this stage Cambridge would be more likely (providing you have high UMS) as they dont go too much on gcses but idk.

One problem I have is your subject combination. You probably need to be studying 2 Acceptable A level combinations in order to meet the maltrician requirements so I would try to adress that first. Maths and Further Maths count as an acceptable option, so you should be fine with those since you are doing A2, but ICT is not acceptable on its own I belive (correct me If im wrong), so this would only give you 2 acceptable A levels that you are studying this year, I would strongly recommend you take Physics to A2 to increase your chances and perhaps drop ICT instead.

Even though you would still reach the Maltrician requirements applying with 3 Essential combinations in one year would give you a good advantage.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5999
QuantumOverlord
You probably need to be studying 2 Acceptable A level combinations in order to meet the maltrician requirements

I have no idea what you're trying to say. No idea at all. Maybe you should focus a bit more on your coherent-post-making skills and a little less on other people's results.

Maths and Further Maths count as an acceptable option, so you should be fine with those since you are doing A2, but ICT is not acceptable on its own I belive (correct me If im wrong)

ICT would probably be fine given that

(a) it's only one of three A levels for which slayer570 is currently studying, i.e. it's not being studied on its own, and;
(b) slayer570 already has an A in a relevant A level, so at the very least an offer could be made of AA in maths and further maths.

Latest

Trending

Trending