The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've studied in the US since I was a little girl, and I have prepared myself for rigour in college, but I don't know if my scores and such are actually good enough to get an offer for PPE from Oxford.

AP Bio: 3 *I really slacked off my sophmore year.
AP US History: 3
AP Calc AB: Predicted 5
AP Chem: Predicted 5
AP World: Predicted 5
AP Psych: Predicted 5
AP Lang and Comp: Predicted 5

Next year I'm taking AP: Macroecon, Comp Gov, Spanish, Calc BC, Physics B, Physics C, Lit, and the second year of IB Chemistry HL.

I got a 32 on my ACT, but it was my first one and I did really badly on the english section. I'm retaking it this summer.

I will take the Chem, Math II, and World History SAT Subject Tests and I plan on taking the SAT later this summer as well.

What do you think? Thanks!
If you get your predicted grades, your APs are fine. Make sure you do well on maths though - maths A level is recommended for home applicants (Which is like the 2 Calc APs I believe - not sure, I'm not American)

Also, your ACT score meets the minimum requirement.

Another things is the TSA:
http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/tsaoxford
This test is important because around half of applicants are rejected based on this score (Evin if you have really good grades, if you totallly fail this I don't think there's any hope)

The other half are invited to interview and this is a very considerable factor in the process. (It's not like an American uni interview, it's an academic grilling - my friend who got into Harvard said his Harvard interview was a nice little chat, while his Cambridge one was just him sitting in a room with maths questions being fired at him)
So your grades seem fine, just work on the TSA and read a lot about your subject.
(edited 12 years ago)
hey guys, I got 5 B's, 3 C's and 2 U's at GCSE... will they let me in?
Reply 7983
2 A*s
What about me?

3 As
3 Bs
2 Cs

A Levels : A* Business Studies
A Law
A History
Original post by SnailFace

lol?

Mitigating circumstances? A levels? Subject?
Original post by OAT
2 A*s
What about me?

3 As
3 Bs
2 Cs

A Levels : A* Business Studies
A Law
A History

To study...? Oxford/Cambridge? What kind of school did you go to? Are those predicted or actual?

hell yeah snail face.

The good news is that I got an offer with 4Bs, 3Cs, 1D and a U. So there's definitely hope for you. The not-so-great news is that I had to leave it a good 33 years or so before applying :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Don't worry guys, I'm just kidding :wink: ......

I got A*AABBBBBBB at GCSE, and I know that's not good enough.
I wish I hadn't been a GCSE coaster... but now, I'm an A-Level boaster ! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Don't worry guys, I'm just kidding :wink: ......

I got A*AABBBBBBB at GCSE, and I know that's not good enough.
I wish I hadn't been a GCSE coaster... but now, I'm an A-Level boaster ! :biggrin:

That's pretty much what I got :smug:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
That's pretty much what I got :smug:

Kool, do we have any chance of getting in?
Kool, do we have any chance of getting in?

I think I have a reasonable shot, yeah. Not sure about you, though, since all you've given is (2 different sets of) GCSE grades.
I think I have a reasonable shot, yeah. Not sure about you, though, since all you've given is (2 different sets of) GCSE grades.

Ohh.. what did you get?

The A*AABBBBBBB were my real grades, the other one was a piss take.
Ohh.. what did you get?

The A*AABBBBBBB were my real grades, the other one was a piss take.

I got A*A*AABBBBC.
I'm going to fess up now and tell you I hold an offer for law.

If you want any sort of advice at all, you need to post any mitigating circumstances you have, and your AS level ums scores etc.

edit: although without any further information I can give you - as I have evidenced myself - the information that your grades will not stop you in themselves from getting an offer if you can show yourself to be good in other ways.
(edited 12 years ago)
I got A*A*AABBBBC.
I'm going to fess up now and tell you I hold an offer for law.

If you want any sort of advice at all, you need to post any mitigating circumstances you have, and your AS level ums scores etc.

edit: although without any further information I can give you - as I have evidenced myself - the information that your grades will not stop you in themselves from getting an offer if you can show yourself to be good in other ways.

Well done with your offer to study law. :h:

I don't want to sound nosy but what where your mitigating circumstances for your GCSE results?
Original post by Articaaa
Well done with your offer to study law. :h:

I don't want to sound nosy but what where your mitigating circumstances for your GCSE results?

I didn't have any mitigating circumstances. I was just incredibly lazy in year 11.
I actually took my GCSEs at a private school (though I'm taking my A levels at a state sixth form).
Original post by Vinchenko
Well for Law, it's most important to just do subjects that you're interested in - I got in to Cambridge with Physics, Chemistry & Geography, hardly traditional subjects for law! Indeed, around 50% of offer holders come from vaguely scientific backgrounds. However, I do very much regret not taking Philosophy & Ethics as it would have been incredibly helpful, and prepares you well for interviews and thinking about ethical and moral problems analytically, logically and quickly, as required in interviews/LNAT/Cambridge law test. If your school offers it, I'd recommend Philosophy & Ethics instead of straight Philosophy (which few schools actually offer anyway).

Other than that, just steer well clear of English Language, it's not considered a very rigorous course and is less favoured to various extents by different oxbridge admissions tutors - Trinity, Cambridge especially take a dim view of it. Lit/Lang is ok, but Eng Lit would be best. GCSEs absolutely fine for Cambridge - both will view in context of education, but Oxford puts more emphasis on them for interview pre-selection (which cambridge don't even do), so bear that in mind. That said, you'll KNOW which one you'll feel more at home at by visiting both, they ahve very different feels and most people don't struggle to choose.

More importantly, you need to read a lot and talk about it in your personal statement - extracurriculars, other than work experience, really won't help you too much. It's recommended to try and read a good newspaper daily (Times, Telegraph, Guardian or Independent) as well as a news magazine (Spectator or Economist) and to keenly follow current affairs - in my interview, for example, I was asked who the Justice Secretary and Chancellor of the Exchequer are, as well as my views on gun controls in america etc.

Also, read these two books: 'What about Law? 2nd Edition' by Graham Virgo and others, and 'Letters to a Law Student' by Nick McBride. These will also hopefully help you make sure law is what you want to do. This time next year, perhaps also try reading a few of the extended reading books they suggest, which will give you something different to put in your personal statement (most people will include the books I just mentioned, so don't bother putting them in - but VERY well worth reading). Also, before you take your LNAT (Law National Admissions Test), make sure you do both of the practice papers on the website and a few of the practice essays, too. If you end up applying to Cambridge, you may be requested to sit the Cambridge Law Test, of which there are 3 'flavours' - try and find out which one in advance (they don't have to tell you!) and again, do the practices for that.

There, that's my best advice based on personal experience! I've probably missed something out, and this is WAY off for you yet remember, but feel free to PM/reply if you've got any more questions :smile:

Hey, really useful post!

Might I ask what your AS grades/UMS were when applying?
Original post by Vinchenko

I second all of your law application advice post quoted above. One thing, though - what did you find interesting/helpful about letters to a law student? Because I really didn't take much from it.

Just to add something:
Even if the applicant you were talking to can't take philosophy and ethics - which is a suggestion I very much endorse - they should read into that sort of subject matter (ethics and morals, I guess I'm talking about in particular) before applying. Also, I don't know if anything like this is included in that course, but even if they take it I recommend they read at least some small amount of political philosophy.
I would love to do Vet. Sciences at Cambridge. But, are my GCSEs good enough (I was home-educated):
English Lang - A*
English Lit - A*
D A Science - A, A*
French -A*
Italian - A*
History - A*
Maths - A

There are only 8? Is this OK?

Latest

Trending

Trending