3A* - French, RS, English Literature
6A - English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Spanish, Textiles
1B - Physics

AS Levels

4A - French, RS, English Literature, Spanish

A Level

French, RS, English Literature + Critical Thinking AS

--------------------------------

I want to do French and Philosophy joint honours at university, at a top institution like Oxford, Durham or Bristol.

I'm not sure if my grades are enough, I'm not doing any AEAs and I didn't exactly get top GCSEs even though I rocked my As Levels.

I have worked in a French Restaurant, as well as participating in 2 exchanges, and I think my spoken French is pretty good.

I go to a private school as well, not a top super-posh eton type, but a middling sort of school. Both my parents left school at 16 though, with next to no qualifications.

I'm not sure about the high literature emphasis on the Oxford language course. Is it still a 'relevant' language degree, where you learn plenty of speaking, history, culture and politics?

Can anybody reccomend a good philosophy book to read, and/or something for French? Anything else useful to get in/know if this course is right for me?
Why on earth are you going to drop Spanish for another AS? Just carry on with the 3 or 4.

Your grades are more than good enough anyway. AEAs aren't used and GCSEs are of little importance.

I know nothing about the course. A good philosophy book is Plato's Republic or something by Sartre. The Communist Manifesto is quite philosophical.
Reply 982
necessarily benevolent
Probably Cambridge because they look at GCSEs in the ''pool''. At Oxford the interview seems to be more important than Cambridge. Oxford will consider schools but it wouldn't matter. I don't think Oxford have a 'scoring system' as such, it's a more objective overview of a candidate, taking different circumstances into account as portrayed in the references, PS and interview. The only grades Oxford highly care about are the predicted A2s so that they know you can fulfill an offer. If you're not predicted AAA (usually) I don't think you'd have a cat in hell's chance.

What about other top universities? (Excluding LSE and Durham) Surely, they would care?

To be honest, it makes sense to not consider GCSE grades, and I hate the fact that they are being forced into considering them. Inform me of other factors which are of a higher importance than GCSEs to Oxbridge, excluding the following: AS results; A2 predicted grades; Personal Statement; Interview; Admissions examinations (if applicable).
Reply 983
The "didn't see the ****ing sticky at the top of the forum" thread, you mean?
Sk1lLz
What about other top universities? (Excluding LSE and Durham) Surely, they would care?

To be honest, it makes sense to not consider GCSE grades, and I hate the fact that they are being forced into considering them. Inform me of other factors which are of a higher importance than GCSEs to Oxbridge, excluding the following: AS results; A2 predicted grades; Personal Statement; Interview; Admissions examinations (if applicable).

LSE and Durham only care in economics and history respectively. Most top universities place alot of emphasis on your PS when deciding who to offer places (more than GCSEs) to make up for the lack of interview.

Written work sent in is of more importance than GCSEs as well (when applicable).
Reply 985
I'm really starting to doubt applying to Oxford, I need honest advice please!

I want to study Physics; here are my results.

Maths:

C1 100/100
C2 97/100
C3 91/100
C4 73/100
M1 81/100
M2 79/100
S1 100/100

Total UMS 621/700, A

Physics:

Physics In Action 81/100
Understanding Processes 104/110
Physics in Practice 85/90

Total UMS 270/300, A

Chemistry:

Atomic Structure,Bonding and Periodicity 65/90
Foundation Physical and Inorganic Chemistry 90/120
Introduction to Organic Chemistry (cwk) 71/90

Total UMS 226/300, B

My problems are the Chemistry result and the fact that C1, C2, C3 and C4 are in descending order! Also my Mechanics marks aren't particularly impressive
I got BBDD so i am not even going to bother applying because I am pretty sure I won't even get an interview so why set myself up for a fall.

Although I am doing resits but there is no point as the resit grades come out in march and I am to young too suffer being rejected by one of them so i might wait til next year or apply elsewhere but no uni in my sig will take me
Reply 987
right...i want(ed) to apply to cambridge for history.
BUT i got AABC...the C in history.
I worked my socks off for those exams, and am gutted i didnt even manage a B in history, which i consider to be my best subject. I honestly dont know what went wrong :frown: modules wise I got acc (the a was 79/90) and overall 209/300 which is, of course, one mark off a B ;(
my B was in lit, but only 10 off the a (aac moduleswise, retaking/remarking the c, should go up)
the two As were in french and german (again weird Cs popping up - like 104/105 on one unit in french and 59/90 on another)
So basically, i really feel quite lost. I thought i knew what i wanted to do, and where i wanted to go. And Cambridge, was, i suppose, the 'dream', as corny as that sounds. Do i bother applying? Especially considering the C was in the subject i was going to apply for? I really dont know. My teacher was very surprised, and i actually as far as im aware got the highest in my class. Obviously i'll try to boost the grade, with a retake in one module and a remark in the other, but would i even get an interview? Please help. I feel a bit miserable :frown:
What are my chances people?

My grades are in signature, but I averaged at 92% across the subjects. Should it be over 95% for Cambridge? Thats what I heard anyway?
clozet
Do i bother applying? Especially considering the C was in the subject i was going to apply for? I really dont know. My teacher was very surprised, and i actually as far as im aware got the highest in my class. Obviously i'll try to boost the grade, with a retake in one module and a remark in the other, but would i even get an interview? Please help. I feel a bit miserable :frown:

Cambridge would look down I feel on a history applicant with a C in history, especially considering how competetive the course is to get on. Just don't get too attatched to Cambridge and look elsewhere maybe? I mean, you did get 2 Cs in 2 different history modules.
As Far as i was aware;
If you wanted...for instance to apply for Physics or mathematics at Oxbridge, you would have to score a UMS points score of 520 -540+ in the required subject(s)
The A grade doesn't just get you there. It's the percentage and UMS is out of 600
Therefore 520-540 would be around...86.6%-90%
I got told this when i went to Corpus Christi College - Cambridge.
It's not just thge maths and physics btw
It's the subejcts they require. and if you don't have an required subjects like history or SPS/PPE then you may have to score similar on your current A2's.

Good luck
trayder
Is it worth applying to cambridge to read economics with:

Maths A
Economics A
Geography B
Psychology B

Go for it.
i got AAAAC at AS today. do you think the C will affect my chance at oxford? im applying for biochemistry and the C was in music, but im still really disappoined :frown:
Reply 993
Hullo, there. I apologize in advance if I'm being a lazy tit in just not looking for official threads and what not, but I was wondering about English at Oxbridge.. I've got a high A in English Lit (280/300), an A in Philosophy, and a high B in English language, along with (gulp) a C in Psychology.

Now, I'm well aware that it's pretty likely I won't get in . :-) But I'd like to say I tried. But which one should I apply to? If Cambridge look at the UMS marks and interview more candidates (and I like the English course and the location better anyway), I should probably apply there, right? But I hear this buzz about Oxford being a bit more unorthodox or some jazz like that. Whatcha think?
ClaireHogben
i got AAAAC at AS today. do you think the C will affect my chance at oxford? im applying for biochemistry and the C was in music, but im still really disappoined :frown:

Hardly,
Many people will apply with AABB at AS with predicted Grades of AAA at A2

If your that worried then Drop Music at AS
However it is not about the average mark as many people think

AAAAB is better than AAAA because both candidates scred the same grade and candidate 2 scored a B as well -unless candidate A scored higher A's in every test -which in many cases wouldn't matter unless oxbridge asked for specific UMS score
Reply 995
T-o dore
Cambridge would look down I feel on a history applicant with a C in history, especially considering how competetive the course is to get on. Just don't get too attatched to Cambridge and look elsewhere maybe? I mean, you did get 2 Cs in 2 different history modules.

uh huh...i know. i have no idea why. not even slightly. i couldnt have done anything more to get a good grade in history. have you never had that? where you work like you've never worked before and for some unknown reason it all goes down the toilet?

im not particularly 'attached' to cambridge as such, i just liked the place, loved the system, and thought i was capable of the grades necessary. which is why i was going to apply - im really not deluded or anything, i am actually good at history, i just messed up the exam. royally. and now i dont even know if i should apply for history, let alone to cambridge :frown:
got quite a few full marks in AS papers, but the only 100% score i achieved in an A2 paper was 100/100 in C4 (edexcel).
Sanyore
Hullo, there. I apologize in advance if I'm being a lazy tit in just not looking for official threads and what not, but I was wondering about English at Oxbridge.. I've got a high A in English Lit (280/300), an A in Philosophy, and a high B in English language, along with (gulp) a C in Psychology.

Now, I'm well aware that it's pretty likely I won't get in . :-) But I'd like to say I tried. But which one should I apply to? If Cambridge look at the UMS marks and interview more candidates (and I like the English course and the location better anyway), I should probably apply there, right? But I hear this buzz about Oxford being a bit more unorthodox or some jazz like that. Whatcha think?

Yes, apply to the one you feel more comfortable with mate.

The only way to NOT get into oxbridge is to not apply there. Thats an obvious fact.
Either way you will get a world class education from either so, In my opinion both are equally good.
rainbow drops
i want to apply for english at uni. today i got:

english literature: A
history: B (78%, one REALLY suspicious unit which was only just a C dragged it down to there which i'm getting re-marked)
french: B
maths: C

should i even bother? i actually think i'd do well in the ELAT and i'll certainly try my best at interview. i got 100% in english AS. i'm just miffed at myself at the moment, for even taking maths in the first place instead of an essay subject, and hoping that because it isn't remotely related to english that it won't hinder me too much when applying to university.

tbh i think they are quite low results for oxford.
Sanyore

You have about the same chance as anyone else :smile:

Don't make the decision based on where you're more likely to get in- base it on where you like more- which course suits you more and which town you prefer. After you've weighed up the pros and cons of each, apply to Cambridge.

Latest

Trending

Trending