The Student Room Group

Family comments to medics.

At a family meal with about 20/30 people tonight, someone at the table says; "So... i hear your applying for medicine."

Everyone turns.. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

"With your bedside manner, Ha."
"If you were my doctor i'd run a mile"
"You have to have patience to become a doctor you know?"

ARGH. How annoying are these comments you get from people, although people might just be making friendly banter the jokes get so repetitive.

Rant over. Anyone else get this or is just my unfortunate self. :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, i use to get those when i applied for medicine. Been rejected so dont get them any more ha ha
Reply 2
when i applied no1 knew about it ... it really saves these unneccesarily comments .. i really hate these comments

my family just nows recently about it when i got reply from uni .
Just grin and bear it really - it's just a laugh.

I get it all the time(dent though); only with me people are genuinely afraid - so they should be!
No, not just you. I have always wanted to study Medicine, but no one in my family has ever gone to uni.They all seem to think education is a waste of time and they kind of mock it. :mad:

Its just bizarre (to me anyway), as I would never dream of making fun of someone who has worked extremely hard to get into a career such as Medicine. I find it a bit of a contridiction, as none of them have a single qualification between them and they think if you have it is useless. :confused:
Reply 5
Nor
when i applied no1 knew about it ... it really saves these unneccesarily comments .. i really hate these comments

my family just nows recently about it when i got reply from uni .

Really? Why did you choose to do that?

How did you fund doing the UKCAT/BMAT and getting up and down the country for interviews? Wasn't it difficult not telling family where you were going when you did W/e?
Reply 6
"I used to think doctors had to be intelligent, but obviously not"

While I was applying: "What are you going to do at uni?", "Medicine", "What about when you dont get a place?" ... I got a place... "What about when you fail first year?" ... I passed.... "So, can you leave with a degree after 3 years there?"... :rolleyes:

Oh well.. I'll just be extra arrogant to make up for their lack of faith :wink:
Reply 7
2klthor
Really? Why did you choose to do that?

How did you fund doing the UKCAT/BMAT and getting up and down the country for interviews? Wasn't it difficult not telling family where you were going when you did W/e?

i didnt revise for both the ukcat and bmat (gosh i really whish i would have:p: ). I only had one interview and had many mock interviews at school with a great teacher .as well as to that i bought a book for medical interviews (around 20 pounds... i know i know it really was expernsive but really rich in information). i went to the interview myself and organised most stuff on my own.i also got some help from medical friends .
Reply 8
Nor
i didnt revise for both the ukcat and bmat (gosh i really whish i would have:p: ). I only had one interview and had many mock interviews at school with a great teacher .as well as to that i bought a book for medical interviews (around 20 pounds... i know i know it really was expernsive but really rich in information). i went to the interview myself and organised most stuff on my own.i also got some help from medical friends .

Congrats, that sounds tough.
My referee: "You won't get in. Do you want me to go over the Extra process again?"
My family: "Why are you bothering to apply? You won't get in anyway"

I got offers though, my referee's face was soo worth watching when I told her.
"you a doctor id run a mile"

that hurt hard :frown:

no one wanted me as a doctor anyway so they were right!
Reply 11
101 Cynicism
My referee: "You won't get in. Do you want me to go over the Extra process again?"
My family: "Why are you bothering to apply? You won't get in anyway"

I got offers though, my referee's face was soo worth watching when I told her.

That happened to my father. He thought i wouldn't even get an offer, my 1st reply was a rejection, which he took it as what he expected. After 3 months, my first offer came followed by the 2nd and third offers. I didn't get to see his expression since i'm away from my home town but according to my mum, he had quite a lengthy chat with my mum regarding my offers.(maybe he just couldn't believe it?)
i dont know if this counts, but when i told my boss im going to apply he just flat out said "you wont get in". that was really mean. :frown:

i was hoping that he would be my referee too.
Reply 13
what is your current job? could he act as your referee?
im a biomedical scientist. he was my project supervisor for my final year dissertation aswell last year.

i didnt really get on with my course organiser, she took over half way through the course and was sooooo disorganised it was unbelievable.
Heres the favourite one from my family:

"if you become a doctor, people will come out of comas pack their bags and all go home"

See now i dont think that would actually be a bad thing!! But they keep saying it to me.
Yeah, my dad keeps on telling me I've got a fine career ahead of me as an orthopaedic surgeon (cue double blind trial jokes/black and decker toolbox essentials, etc etc:p:). He's a neurologist though so he's meant to be academically gifted and emotionally/socially challenged :smile:

Furthermore my pals still have this feeling I shouldn't go into medicine because I was unsuccessful the first (and second, oops!) time around. They'll never say it to me directly, but there's definetely a condescending feeling going around, as theyre going into jobs soon and settling (out of my 4 good pals from home, one's doing his postgrad legal stuff, one's doing a PGCE to be a maths teachers, one's commencing a graduate scheme and the fourth is job-hunting. But he's a legend so it's OK:biggrin:)

Basically, the point is not to let these comments get you down. They're merely humorous. Wait til you're their GP, then prescribe them smarties instead of the co-codamol they're after :smile:
Reply 17
dont worry about it. i was advised against applying by my career adviser in year 10!

she said: "i dont think you can get into medicine it's such a competitive course. How about business instead?"

then some family thought being a girl in medicine is too hard and that i shouldnt waste my youth studying!

"you a doctor id run a mile"

and my chemistry teacher said that to me too :frown:

ah well, let them think what they think. it's about what YOU think of it!
Reply 18
graemematt
Wait til you're their GP, then prescribe them smarties instead of the co-codamol they're after :smile:

i think i might do that! gonna be fun :biggrin: !!!!
Reply 19
graemematt
Yeah, my dad keeps on telling me I've got a fine career ahead of me as an orthopaedic surgeon (cue double blind trial jokes/black and decker toolbox essentials, etc etc:p:). He's a neurologist though so he's meant to be academically gifted and emotionally/socially challenged :smile:

Furthermore my pals still have this feeling I shouldn't go into medicine because I was unsuccessful the first (and second, oops!) time around. They'll never say it to me directly, but there's definetely a condescending feeling going around, as theyre going into jobs soon and settling (out of my 4 good pals from home, one's doing his postgrad legal stuff, one's doing a PGCE to be a maths teachers, one's commencing a graduate scheme and the fourth is job-hunting. But he's a legend so it's OK:biggrin:)

Basically, the point is not to let these comments get you down. They're merely humorous. Wait til you're their GP, then prescribe them smarties instead of the co-codamol they're after :smile:

I really hope I don't have to take as longer route as you though mate. Did you apply to do med straight after your degree and get rejected? Or did you just think meh, may as well do a MSc before applying.

Latest

Trending

Trending