The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Really worried I won't get my predicted grades or get into uni at all

Hi guys,

So I'm predicted ABB, but I've just gotten my mock results back which were a disheartening BCC with exams only really 2 and a half months away. I was waiting to choose my firm and insurance until I had gotten these mock grades to make sure I wasn't punching above my weight, but now it looks like I won't be able to firm any of the unis I really wanted to.
York wants AAB, Royal Holloway wants ABB, Loughborough wants ABB, and Kent wants BBB.

I have no idea what to do at this point. Will any of these universities let me in with clearing for Politics and International Relations? York was obviously my top choice but is there any way they would let me in if I got below what they were asking for? What's my best choice to firm?

Sorry for the long post but I'm very freaked out at the moment! Thanks
BCC is pretty close to ABB--and you've still got months left to revise. Just work hard and you'll get your offers. :smile:
University of York
York
i went from CCD to A*AA, its all about your mindset! believe you can do it and put in the work :smile:
Wow, that's incredible! In what span of time did you go from that CCD to A*AA? It would be amazing if I could pull something like that off
Original post by nintysixthousand
i went from CCD to A*AA, its all about your mindset! believe you can do it and put in the work :smile:
So I study Social and Political Sciences at York and missed my AAB offer but was still accepted, and also know people on the Politics and IR course who missed theirs - however, this was in 2016 and essentially there can be no guarantee of being accepted if you miss. What I would say is if York is your favourite, then firm it and give yourself something to work towards, otherwise you’ll kick yourself if you do achieve AAB and don’t go to York! Kent would then be a really solid insurance (and also has a very strong politics course), and there is always clearing if neither accepted you if you miss both. However, I would say a York AAB firm, Kent BBB insurance isn’t absurd based off BCC mocks, you just need to really work hard, get feedback from your teachers and push yourself as much as you can :smile:
I think this is exactly what I needed to hear! This is what I was thinking of doing initially, but the mock grades really hit my confidence badly. Did you get ABB instead of AAB in the real exams? I can't imagine getting higher than that, but would still love to put York as my firm. Thank you for the good advice! :smile:
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
So I study Social and Political Sciences at York and missed my AAB offer but was still accepted, and also know people on the Politics and IR course who missed theirs - however, this was in 2016 and essentially there can be no guarantee of being accepted if you miss. What I would say is if York is your favourite, then firm it and give yourself something to work towards, otherwise you’ll kick yourself if you do achieve AAB and don’t go to York! Kent would then be a really solid insurance (and also has a very strong politics course), and there is always clearing if neither accepted you if you miss both. However, I would say a York AAB firm, Kent BBB insurance isn’t absurd based off BCC mocks, you just need to really work hard, get feedback from your teachers and push yourself as much as you can :smile:
Hi there!
I am an official student social media rep for the University of Kent.
There's no need to worry too much at all about not getting into the University that you like, you still have a few months before your exams and I certainly found that my mock grades were much lower than my actual grades just because I had more time to revise and had learnt more by the time the final exams came.

But to put your mind at ease I'll explain how clearing and firming universities worked for me so you have an idea!

When it comes to results day often some universities will accept grades below what they asked initially, although there is obviously no guarantee. This happened to me (although I ended up not taking the offer and instead took a gap year), but it is dependent on how many people reached the asking grades and how many firmed the offer to study at that university, etc. Typically if your grades are one or two below asking, you find this happens to you.
Also when it comes to clearing, again it is entirely dependent on which universities have courses with spaces on them. Friends that I had that went through clearing all found the exact course they wanted to study at universities they simply hadn't considered before, but they've all loved where they ended up.

In terms of what university to firm that is entirely up to your personal preference. Try and base your decision off of what university felt like the nicest environment for you and also has a course structure that works best with your learning style.
But honestly I'm sure you have nothing to be worrying about, like I said, you still have plenty of time before your exams!
Good luck with your A levels and I hope that this helped put your mind at ease a bit :smile:
Original post by ZoehLawliet
Hi guys,

So I'm predicted ABB, but I've just gotten my mock results back which were a disheartening BCC with exams only really 2 and a half months away. I was waiting to choose my firm and insurance until I had gotten these mock grades to make sure I wasn't punching above my weight, but now it looks like I won't be able to firm any of the unis I really wanted to.
York wants AAB, Royal Holloway wants ABB, Loughborough wants ABB, and Kent wants BBB.

I have no idea what to do at this point. Will any of these universities let me in with clearing for Politics and International Relations? York was obviously my top choice but is there any way they would let me in if I got below what they were asking for? What's my best choice to firm?

Sorry for the long post but I'm very freaked out at the moment! Thanks
Did you get into university??
Original post by nintysixthousand

Would you have any tips on how to achieve this? I keep trying to revise and worked so hard for my mocks. I’m predicted ABB but heartbreakingly only achieved EED. this has really torn my to shreds and I no longer have belief that I can achieve the required grades (ABB). Add me on snap? @re4non.t
Original post by Cameron1144
Would you have any tips on how to achieve this? I keep trying to revise and worked so hard for my mocks. I’m predicted ABB but heartbreakingly only achieved EED. this has really torn my to shreds and I no longer have belief that I can achieve the required grades (ABB). Add me on snap? @re4non.t

Hi!

The user you messaged was last seen a few months ago. You might get a response from them but I would also recommend making a new thread and putting your question there. Also, mention your subjects so the users can give you the right advice. :smile:
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hi!

The user you messaged was last seen a few months ago. You might get a response from them but I would also recommend making a new thread and putting your question there. Also, mention your subjects so the users can give you the right advice. :smile:

Hi, thank you. I will try that!

Quick Reply

Latest