The Student Room Group

Too late to apply for pgce 2019???

Is it too late to apply for PGCE English secondary for a 2019 start?

Anyone with experience or knowledge on this - would be great to hear from you!
Hi!

I'm going to do a PGCE in science in September. My friend, however, applied for a PGCE in English pretty much at this time last year and he's on his way to gaining his QTS from York in July! If you really want to apply, I would do it as soon as you can but try to start getting some experience in local secondary schools first - I would try to get a week's worth! If this is not possible you can do a few days before submitting your application and then get some more experience later on. On the other hand, you could take a year out and get a job involved in education and then you can apply when applications open around October this year and limit the stress you place on yourself.

Whatever you decide, I wish all the best with it.
:smile:
There will almost definitely be unis with places still available at this stage- I'd suggest emailing around and asking unis you are interested in if they still have places, and then getting your application off!

Unis will probably expect some recent time spent in UK schools to talk about at interview too, though.
Reply 3
I sent off my application to study for a PGCE 3 days ago. I've already been offered an interview for one and the other universities have started the application process, so no, it's not too late, but make sure you get everything sorted swiftly. Contact your referees and ask them if they are prepared to fill out the references and send them off as soon as possible, get all your details sorted on the application website and you should be fine.

I often see many people say you MUST have experience to even be offered an interview, but I have zero school experience and have been offered an interview within 2 days from a Russel Group uni and for a course that is in the top 10 in the country. You just have to be able to sell yourself really well in your personal statement and prior to interview make sure you read up on current educational topics and start forming opinions on them etc. In my personal statement I mentioned that although my work experience isn't strictly in an education setting, the experience that I do have has taught me skills that can easily be transferred to the classroom.

They want to see if you know what you are getting yourself into, if you have the skills to cope with whatever teaching throws at you, are adaptable, personable and clued up. Do all that and you will be fine. Its worth googling some personal statements for PGCE entry in the subject you want and see how others have sold themselves.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending