The Student Room Group

Completing a 2nd PGCE

I am coming to the end of my teacher training, studying PGCE Secondary Modern Foreign Languages (French).
However, I've realised (albeit a bit too late) that I've picked the wrong subject. Whilst I'm good at French, more than anything, I want to teach English.
My question is, will I be eligible to complete a 2nd PGCE in English, and receive all of the funding that comes with it, if I already hold a PGCE in MFL? I've looked online and can't find any information on whether having one PGCE would disqualify me from applying for a second one.
Original post by LiamS92
I am coming to the end of my teacher training, studying PGCE Secondary Modern Foreign Languages (French).
However, I've realised (albeit a bit too late) that I've picked the wrong subject. Whilst I'm good at French, more than anything, I want to teach English.
My question is, will I be eligible to complete a 2nd PGCE in English, and receive all of the funding that comes with it, if I already hold a PGCE in MFL? I've looked online and can't find any information on whether having one PGCE would disqualify me from applying for a second one.

This is a really great question and one I don't know the answer to. :redface:

There's nothing disqualifying you from applying to anything. I really doubt you'd get funding though. :s-smilie: You're best asking the provider you're currently doing your PGCE with whether there are rules about this sort of stuff. I fear though that your downfall won't be concerning any rules but more that providers may not be willing to give you a place if they think you might change your time again at the end of the year and want to do a different subject.

I'm not saying I believe this to be the case, but do you see where I'm coming from in terms of hesitations over your application?
No, once you have QTS you can't get funding again.

BUT you can teach anything with your PGCE. You could even teach Primary. It just depends on whether a school would employ you and what your other qualifications are. In my experience I've been told you need an A Level in something a school would ask you to teach.
Original post by LiamS92

You wouldn't currently get a second lot of funding for English. In theory, with a PGCE, you can teach anything, but it'll be hard to get an NQT role teaching English.

If you feel you could cope with teaching MFL for a few years, it might be best to establish your career that way and then look for opportunities in school to teach English, then slowly make the transfer over.
Original post by LiamS92

Hi. I have the same issue. I am currently completing a PGCE in FE, teaching literacy and ESOl but I want to move into secondary schools teaching English. Does your PGCE include QTS? If you don't have QTS, you can do a QTS only program in teaching English. If you already have QTS, you are already qualified to teach already. However, lots of schools ideally want someone with a degree in English teaching the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending