The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lord Huntroyde
They get loads of money off the tax payer, and they symbolise a Britian which no longer really exists, we are no longer run by the aristocracy, the Royal Family are the last remnants and a constant reminder of the dictatorship that was instilled in this country.

and made this country great. and its citizens celebrated. and the country at the forefront of the developed world. and brought prosperity to millions of other non-british citizens. and importantly, distinguishes our country and us as citizens of that country apart from any other.
once you get rid of the monarchy, it will never return. be proud of something that is British.
Reply 21
Lord Huntroyde
They get loads of money off the tax payer, and they symbolise a Britian which no longer really exists, we are no longer run by the aristocracy, the Royal Family are the last remnants and a constant reminder of the dictatorship that was instilled in this country.

Don't forget the tourism trade in England gets a lot money from ppl visiting because of the Royal Family
Reply 22
vienna95
and made this country great. and its citizens celebrated. and the country at the forefront of the developed world. and brought prosperity to millions of other non-british citizens. and importantly, distinguishes our country and us as citizens of that country apart from any other.
once you get rid of the monarchy, it will never return. be proud of something that is British.

EXACTLY Thank you
Reply 23
vienna95

I would hope there is more to Britishness than the royal family. It was not them that made the country great, it was their underlings, who had more than two brain cells to rub together, like the scientists and generals.
vienna95

Like last time you mean? Oh no it did return last time.
Reply 25
Pencil Queen

Good point.

Though if we abolished the monarchy this time, it would not return as it would be via referendum, rather than civil war.
Pencil Queen

This is apointless discussion. We do have a monarchy, and always will. Taking away remaining powers won't change the fact they are the royal family. Becoming a republic won't entitle the country to take the palaces.

I do feel that the amount of the family recieving income from the goverment should be reduced, but the core royal family symbolises the pinnacle of britishness to me.
I loved the fact that during the jubilee celebrations you could have a british flag and not feel like a BNP activist!
J
Reply 27
There is more to being british than a royal family but it is something that makes us stand out from everyone else! But if we did get rid of the Royal family then it probably would not come back as we are in moving times and i dont think enough people would want to have it back
Reply 28
foolfarian
This is apointless discussion. We do have a monarchy, and always will. Taking away remaining powers won't change the fact they are the royal family. Becoming a republic won't entitle the country to take the palaces.

I do feel that the amount of the family recieving income from the goverment should be reduced, but the core royal family symbolises the pinnacle of britishness to me.
I loved the fact that during the jubilee celebrations you could have a british flag and not feel like a BNP activist!
J

The country already owns a lot of the palaces. The rest will be kept by the Royals but only until they have to pay inheritance tax. Hehe
Reply 29
foolfarian

J

Here here
Reply 30
We do moan about the royal family sometimes but it is a tradtition we have a family if we did not who would rule. OTHER countries would see us a a push over. I think this what makes us GREAT.
Reply 31
Lord Huntroyde
I would hope there is more to Britishness than the royal family. It was not them that made the country great, it was their underlings, who had more than two brain cells to rub together, like the scientists and generals.

they are at the root of pretty much everything, but to give you an example,
do you know why we were continually able to overcome the French during the empire? the one consistent backbone to our ability to generate resource and commitment to the efforts?
Reply 32
LadyFadge
There is more to being british than a royal family but it is something that makes us stand out from everyone else! But if we did get rid of the Royal family then it probably would not come back as we are in moving times and i dont think enough people would want to have it back

Well if the majority of the population did not want it back then it obviously would not be reinstated, that is democracy.
Reply 33
vienna95
they are at the root of pretty much everything, but to give you an example,
do you know why we were continually able to overcome the French during the empire? the one consistent backbone to our ability to generate resource and commitment to the efforts?

But those were different times. We no longer fight wars against equals and our economy does not need a family to keep it going. If it did, the country would be in a sorry state.
Reply 34
Lord Huntroyde
Well if the majority of the population did not want it back then it obviously would not be reinstated, that is democracy.

Duh.
Reply 35
Lord Huntroyde
But those were different times. We no longer fight wars against equals and our economy does not need a family to keep it going. If it did, the country would be in a sorry state.

You have a point there
Reply 36
Well who helped britan through the wars. If it was not for the royal family where would we be? Probaly under forigen rule.
Reply 37
ro_jay
We do moan about the royal family sometimes but it is a tradtition we have a family if we did not who would rule. OTHER countries would see us a a push over. I think this what makes us GREAT.

Valid for the past but not for now. We have progressed nd now Parliament rules us and no one would dare think of us as a push over any more.
Reply 38
Lord Huntroyde
Valid for the past but not for now. We have progressed nd now Parliament rules us and no one would dare think of us as a push over any more.

Yeah i definately agree with that.
Reply 39
ro_jay
Well who helped britan through the wars. If it was not for the royal family where would we be? Probaly under forigen rule.

Churchill, Lord Alanbrooke, Montgomery, other Generals, our army, the french, Belgians, Poles, Africans, Australians, Indians, New Zealanders and of course the Americans won WWII. Not the Royals.

Latest

Trending

Trending