The Student Room Group

What is a good starting salary?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarthRoar
You have no justification for calling a difference 'statistical noise'. With such a good sample size, 8% isn't high but is still significant, and this is reflected by the statistical significance of the regression coefficients.

The detailed report also comments on this. For higher attaining/ higher SES populations there is simply not a large number who did not go to university. This makes any comparison difficult. Why did they not go? Low time preferences? Health issues? Family crisis? Got a really great job and didnt want to leave and lose high earnings?

The samples at this level just can't be comparable. I tend to believe the lower attaining comparisons more, but even then circumstances and personality types are the only things to really consider.
Thank you for your reply. I agree with you. However, in my case, there is nothing that particularly interests me as a passion. I know I am interested in STEM and a bit of finance. I am planning to look at high paying jobs and gaining some work experience by observing, etc to know if I'm interested in the area.
Original post by brainzistheword
As others have said, basing a career choice on the best wage is probably not the best way to make a decision. The salary is dependent on many other things too like location and other work experience - not just your qualifications.

I think you may need to reconsider your priorities and consider a more rounded view of the careers on offer to you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending