The Student Room Group

my employer is keeping my wages

I was under no contact I wasn’t given anything to sign and saw no paper work with any terms and conditions to the employment, I recently quit my job without notice and now he’s upholding my wages. Is he allowed to do this, I’ve spoken to an adviser and he told me no because I was under no contact
Original post by Jaiden3000
I was under no contact I wasn’t given anything to sign and saw no paper work with any terms and conditions to the employment, I recently quit my job without notice and now he’s upholding my wages. Is he allowed to do this, I’ve spoken to an adviser and he told me no because I was under no contact

You are under a contract when an employer asks you to do work for them and you do that work. A contract doesn't have to be written, but if anything goes wrong and there is no written contract, you get into the situation you are in.

Provided you can show that you worked certain hours, and there was an established pattern of payment for your work, then an employer cannot withhold pay. Go to the Citizens Advice Bureau with all the details and evidence you've got and ask if they can write a letter to your employer.

You haven't helped yourself though, by not insisting on a written contract and leaving without working your notice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending