The Student Room Group

How do I know if an interview has gone well?

Just had my first face to face interview today with an asset management firm.

I don't think I ****ed up any questions but before I left, one of the ladies who were interviewing me said ' The fact that you have come so far is great. Not many people make it this far'

And they will be interviewing more people in the next couple of days and will get back at me at the end of the week...
Reply 1
Sounds like the interview went well! Well done!
If they asked you a lot of follow-up questions relating to your answers and really tried to push you, then that's a good indicator that it went well (this isn't necessarily always the case, though).
Original post by ABCDEF99
Just had my first face to face interview today with an asset management firm.

I don't think I ****ed up any questions but before I left, one of the ladies who were interviewing me said ' The fact that you have come so far is great. Not many people make it this far'

And they will be interviewing more people in the next couple of days and will get back at me at the end of the week...

Firstly, good luck for the outcome at the end of the week and well done for getting as far as you did.

Very difficult to say if an interview went well as no-one really knows what that employer was actually looking for until you find out.

IF you don't get offered the position please do ask for feedback on your interview as this will really help you improve moving forward for future interviews.

When preparing for interviews it's always important to do and know the following:

- Research the company so that you know what they do and what their values and missions are.
- Revisit your application just in case they ask you about it.
- Think of examples of times when you have demonstrated the skills they are looking for so you have examples to use in the interview.
- Remember to PEE - make your POINT, EXPLAIN it and provide an EXAMPLE
- Know that it's not about what they can do for you but what you can bring to them, you must show them the value you would bring to that organisation.
- Then you have your basics - dress smart, don't fidget, try to keep eye contact, don't swear or use slang and avoid conversations about politics and religion (or anything else that could be considered controversial) unless it's directly related to the job.

If you think you did all of the above then you should feel confident that you did well.

I hope this helps - Sophie.
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply Sophie. What can I say/do at the interview to indicate to them that I can bring value?
Original post by National Careers Service
Firstly, good luck for the outcome at the end of the week and well done for getting as far as you did.

Very difficult to say if an interview went well as no-one really knows what that employer was actually looking for until you find out.

IF you don't get offered the position please do ask for feedback on your interview as this will really help you improve moving forward for future interviews.

When preparing for interviews it's always important to do and know the following:

- Research the company so that you know what they do and what their values and missions are.
- Revisit your application just in case they ask you about it.
- Think of examples of times when you have demonstrated the skills they are looking for so you have examples to use in the interview.
- Remember to PEE - make your POINT, EXPLAIN it and provide an EXAMPLE
- Know that it's not about what they can do for you but what you can bring to them, you must show them the value you would bring to that organisation.
- Then you have your basics - dress smart, don't fidget, try to keep eye contact, don't swear or use slang and avoid conversations about politics and religion (or anything else that could be considered controversial) unless it's directly related to the job.

If you think you did all of the above then you should feel confident that you did well.

I hope this helps - Sophie.
One technique you could use to make sure that you are explaining the value you could bring to a company is to use the STAR technique.

STAR stands for:
Situation/Task: This is when you would describe a task or situation you were faced with.
Action: You would then explain what you did, and how and why you did it.
Results: You would finally describe how it ended, what you accomplished, and what you learnt from the situation.

This allows the interviewer to see that you not just listing off a range of qualities which you think they will be impressed by but actually thinking about situations in your past which demonstrate how you used these skills in the workplace/education.
This means that the interviewer can get a better idea of how your skills and experiences can fit into the company and add value to their existing set up!

It’s also important to remember about interviews are that they work both ways just as they are trying to find out more about you and your abilities, it’s also a chance for you to find out more about what their company stands for, what it’s values are or what it’s future goals are. This is to make sure that the company is the right fit for you, not just the other way around!

I hope this helps!
Original post by ABCDEF99
Thanks for the reply Sophie. What can I say/do at the interview to indicate to them that I can bring value?
You get the job/placement, thats how you know if the interview went well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending