The Student Room Group

Graduating after a long, hard, struggle

After almost a 10 year battle with depression, I'm finally graduating this year with a Bachelor of Science ordinary degree. I missed out on the Honours unfortunately, as the depression came back in full force towards the end and left me burnt out trying desperately to complete my final project. My question is what should I do now? Severely lacking confidence in my ability to find a job with my crappy degree result but I really don't want to stay in my dead end retail job. Does anyone know anyone who has had a similar struggle and managed to get themselves a half decent job after it?
Original post by OrdinaryBachelor
After almost a 10 year battle with depression, I'm finally graduating this year with a Bachelor of Science ordinary degree. I missed out on the Honours unfortunately, as the depression came back in full force towards the end and left me burnt out trying desperately to complete my final project. My question is what should I do now? Severely lacking confidence in my ability to find a job with my crappy degree result but I really don't want to stay in my dead end retail job. Does anyone know anyone who has had a similar struggle and managed to get themselves a half decent job after it?

You need to sort your health out first. If you can't cope with University, even with a retail job you aren't going to cope with a career job. Get healthy, and get resilient enough for the workplace before you launch in. There's not nearly the cushioning in a career job than there is in a university context for getting things wrong, getting allowances etc. So for comparison, it took you 10 years to get a 3 year degree, a graduate level job might give you the equivalent of 4 years to do 3 years work, any more and you'll be redundant. Get fit first, then you can use the hard work you've put in over the last 10 years to best effect.
Original post by OrdinaryBachelor

To add to threeportdrift's excellent advice, I would thoroughly recomend volunteering as a way to regain your confidence and find out if you can cope with the workplace.
I would recommend volunteering, but with caveats. So the volunteering sector is very diverse. There is the bad boy corporate charity side of volunteering where it's cut throat competition and things masquerading as jobs. You want to avoid that as it'll probably make you worse. There is the very casual old school volunteering which still exists (but shrinking) and there's a lot of small charities that aren't casualised but not the environment of the others to volunteer in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending