The Student Room Group

graduate

Hi, I am struggling with a decision now.

I am 24, working in town planning for 9 months, got an Graduate offer from one of the big 4 companies in which the Grad Scheme will be for 3 years... is it worth changing my career to the Big 4 Grad Scheme even if I will still be at Graduate level when I am 27... Or I should stay in the town planning industry.
Moved to careers
Original post by LanaLaura

I am 24, working in town planning for 9 months, got an Graduate offer from one of the big 4 companies in which the Grad Scheme will be for 3 years... is it worth changing my career to the Big 4 Grad Scheme even if I will still be at Graduate level when I am 27... Or I should stay in the town planning industry.

I don't think you should worry about your age at all. If the graduate offer will make you happier down the line and also gives great pay, perks etc then you should go for that.
Reply 3
Thank you for replying! Agree.. I just feel like when people in the same age would be at senior/ manager level when around 27/28 (late 20s). Appreciate your words tho!!
Original post by I'mPooPoo
I don't think you should worry about your age at all. If the graduate offer will make you happier down the line and also gives great pay, perks etc then you should go for that.
Thank you for replying! Agree.. I just feel like when people in the same age would be at senior/ manager level when around 27/28 (late 20s). Appreciate your words tho!!

Yeah that might be true in some cases. Also remember if you don't enjoy town planning you may end up wishing you'd have done the graduate scheme. Plus who cares where others might be at the age of 26-28. Not everyone can move up that quickly. I wish you all the best in whatever choice you make. 😄
Reply 5

Is this the accounting big 4 (e.g. Deloitte, KPMG, EY, PwC)? Either way, its worth it as you'll be funded to gain an international recognised (chartered) qualification during your 3yrs which will lead to you earning far higher salary and take on more senior roles later. The other benefit is building your network with high profile clients and also promotion. Your age is irrelevant and you'll find that there are many that switch to big 4 after years of experience

Depends on what u want out of your career, but if your only concern is lack of progress as to still being on a grad scheme at 27 then i wouldn't worry, big4 firms will open up many more doors in a few years, and as you progress down the grad scheme you'll still be progressing in role with the firm more responsibility, opportunity etc.
Reply 7
That is encouraging! I will have a serious think about it! Thank you!!!
Original post by I'mPooPoo
Yeah that might be true in some cases. Also remember if you don't enjoy town planning you may end up wishing you'd have done the graduate scheme. Plus who cares where others might be at the age of 26-28. Not everyone can move up that quickly. I wish you all the best in whatever choice you make. 😄
That is encouraging! I will have a serious think about it! Thank you!!!

I hope I was of some help. 😆

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending