The Student Room Group

Turned down from a job for reasons I can't quite understand

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cheesecakelove

I think the comment from the company that they made was alluding to lack of relevant experience, not background. If you are looking to get into journalism, it is recommended you get a3s much experience as possible. Have you done this? If not, look into this to help with future application.

Everyone says they want experience the second I do, I'm too experienced.
Original post by Justanotheranon6
Most broadcast journalists start off in written journalism. Is there not a small local newspaper u can work at just for a year before you take on the big ones?

Yep, I was one of the editors for my student newspaper. I'm hoping to be reinstated in the role in 3rd year. It's possible. Now, I work for a smallish paper, there iq only one big one where I liv e.I need a driving license to work for them. (I'm working on it) The one closest to that one is a community based one. It's okay for now. I want my old one back though. It was better. I'm also in talks with someone to create a newsletter for their business/charity.

I work at a radio station, and I help make films for people.
Original post by threeportdrift

It's never helpful or productive to get chippy/salty about job rejections. They happen too often for anyone's well-being. Take the feedback and try to analyse why, and then move on having learned what you can from the experience. Patterns will emerge.

Maybe if companies gave feedback, people could take the feedback. I'm afraid you are completely clueless with how companies work. Companies just say 'the competition was too high this year' or as this poster has said 'looking for something more specific'. Just general, bland, legal loop hole statements that get them off the hook. In addition, a lot of companies ask for a great deal of information such as gender, race and even what your parents do for a living. And if people need experience to get experience, then how are they supposed to get experience, genius?

Something needs to change. Companies should be legally required to give ACTUAL feedback. This would stop some of the discrimination, or if their feedback is legitimate, people would be able to improve from it and society would be better off as a whole.
Reply 23
top 10% aint good enough

If there's one position to fill they ain't looking to hire number 10, They are looking to hire the best.....
Original post by DavidJES
Maybe if companies gave feedback, people could take the feedback. I'm afraid you are completely clueless with how companies work. Companies just say 'the competition was too high this year' or as this poster has said 'looking for something more specific'. Just general, bland, legal loop hole statements that get them off the hook. In addition, a lot of companies ask for a great deal of information such as gender, race and even what your parents do for a living. And if people need experience to get experience, then how are they supposed to get experience, genius?

Something needs to change. Companies should be legally required to give ACTUAL feedback. This would stop some of the discrimination, or if their feedback is legitimate, people would be able to improve from it and society would be better off as a whole.

The job goes to the best candidate so often the reason you were rejected is simply because other people were better as opposed to specific flaws.

And you don't need experience to get experience or everyone would be unemployed wouldn't they?
Original post by DavidJES
Companies should be legally required to give ACTUAL feedback.

90% of the time that feedback would be 'your application did not contain anything that made it pique our interest when we gave it the standard two minute scan with the mark one eyeball'. How useful is that?
@beckyj1997

Sorry you are finding the job hunt frustrating at the moment :frown: I just want to say that what you are experiencing is normal. It is not a reflection of you as a person.

The best you can do is keep on applying, taking on feedback where you get it, and looking for patterns in that feedback to see if there are any common themes.

Try to avoid getting discouraged or bitter over rejection - it's not worth it and it will carry over to your other applications.

You will get something so hang in there...!
Regarding feedback, isn't it the case that companies are obliged to give broad statements about lack of suitability because they can get in trouble for accidentally discriminating otherwise? I don't know where I picked up this information from but it's something I've always believed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending