Wohoo, it's me :biggrin:
Reply 21
kildare

the unregistered thread starter?
Reply 22
kildare

And did you get in with your rather..unique PS?
Reply 23
elpaw
the unregistered thread starter?

indeedy
Reply 24
And did you get in with your rather..unique PS?

Well I ended up modifying it a bit more but yes indeedy I did end up getting an offer.

Why is it so 'unique' (gotta love the euphemism)? :biggrin:
Reply 25
kildare
Well I ended up modifying it a bit more but yes indeedy I did end up getting an offer.

Well. it has an unique start, and some quite good life stories...
kildare

Because you can actually read on after the first line and not fall asleep.

Its a good PS, and you deserved to get in. :wink:
Reply 27
Well. it has an unique start, and some quite good life stories...

I actually changed the opening completly in the end...
Reply 28
kildare
That was probably a good idea, tbh, excellent as the rest of it is.
Reply 29
kildare

yeah, the opening was a bit too Stephen King for my liking. that was probably a good idea
elpaw
yeah, the opening was a bit too Stephen King for my liking. that was probably a good idea

Guz, were you into any sports?
Reply 31
The actual opening was something along the lines of this (not sure if this is from the final draft)

It was as a twelve year old in Naas, as I wrote a letter to the families of the victims of the Omagh bombing, that I think I first realized that essential to understanding an event or situation in the present was a knowledge of its history. What began then is now a passion with other more academic, less innocent, strands: that as a study it can stand alone separate from the present, the recognition of the possibilities of different, even contradictory interpretations and the limitations of sources. However, my original thoughts persist. Today, even as I write this in somewhat different surroundings, the past has come back to haunt and affect the present as relations between Switzerland and Turkey have been soured (with the Foreign Ministers proposed visit being cancelled), all as a result of Switzerland’s recognition of the Armenian Genocide, an event which occurred 88 years ago.

Apologies for the randomness...
kildare
The actual opening was something along the lines of this (not sure if this is from the final draft)

It was as a twelve year old in Naas, as I wrote a letter to the families of the victims of the Omagh bombing, that I think I first realized that essential to understanding an event or situation in the present was a knowledge of its history. What began then is now a passion with other more academic, less innocent, strands: that as a study it can stand alone separate from the present, the recognition of the possibilities of different, even contradictory interpretations and the limitations of sources. However, my original thoughts persist. Today, even as I write this in somewhat different surroundings, the past has come back to haunt and affect the present as relations between Switzerland and Turkey have been soured (with the Foreign Ministers proposed visit being cancelled), all as a result of Switzerland’s recognition of the Armenian Genocide, an event which occurred 88 years ago.

Apologies for the randomness...

No problem, it was a good PS to read :smile:
Reply 33
bono
Guz, were you into any sports?

rugby, rowing (still am, but i gave up rowing, you dont want to do 5am starts)
elpaw
rugby, rowing (still am, but i gave up rowing, you dont want to do 5am starts)

cool..
Reply 35
Yea, I'm really glad I changed the opening anyway, because by the time got to the interview I had read a lot of other stuff which had changed my mind vis-a-vis Carr's line of thinking.
kildare
vis-a-vis.

hahaha, kildare........stop it!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 37
My lack of any swimming ability gives me allows me to automatically avoid rowing without having to think of some other half-assed excuse. Wahey \o/.
Reply 38
kildare
My lack of any swimming ability gives me allows me to automatically avoid rowing without having to think of some other half-assed excuse. Wahey \o/.

you don't need an excuse. you can just not apply to do it. noone's gonna bite you.
kildare

Do Oxford have tennis courts and stuff?

I shall have to give you a game.

October 2005 kildare!! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending