The Student Room Group

I work in retail, AMA!

Hi guys! :hi:
As part of TSR's wonderful little careers project, I am here to answer any questions you might want to know about retail/ retail workers.
Stationary Store in VR.jpg
Some background:
- I work for a popular stationary chain which is a concession in a major department store.
- Since I was juggling this job with my A-levels, I have only really worked Sundays. However, my hours are really picking up over the summer!
- I will be my 2 year anniversary with the company in August! :dance:
- This is my second job- I have worked in leisure before :smile:

Of course, I won't be going into massive detail in order to keep my privacy intact, but apart from that... AMA!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What questions were you asked during the interview? Anything odd? :laugh:
What do you enjoy most about your role? What have you found the most challenging? :smile:
Original post by 8472
What questions were you asked during the interview? Anything odd? :laugh:

It was mainly just sale scenarios and general questions! :yes:
There was one though. Before my interview, I was asked to pick my own products from the shop floor. The products I chose were the ones that were used in my interview, which was really cool :biggrin:
Original post by shadowdweller
What do you enjoy most about your role? What have you found the most challenging? :smile:

Honestly, the most challenging part can be dealing with tricky customers and boredom. Since I mainly work on Sundays, my concession can be quite empty :laugh:
The people I work with and some of the awesome stock we get in makes it all worth it though! The staff discount is also a great factor for me too :wink:
Original post by barror1
Honestly, the most challenging part can be dealing with tricky customers and boredom. Since I mainly work on Sundays, my concession can be quite empty :laugh:
The people I work with and some of the awesome stock we get in makes it all worth it though! The staff discount is also a great factor for me too :wink:

How much of a discount do you get? :ninja:

What's one thing you wish you'd known before starting the role?

P.S. I'll stop now! :lol:
Original post by shadowdweller
How much of a discount do you get? :ninja:

What's one thing you wish you'd known before starting the role?

P.S. I'll stop now! :lol:

50%
Not really something I wish I had known, but I wish I can the chance to meet my-then manager before I started my training! My (then- :laugh:)supervisor was the one who interviewed and hired me, so I guess I just had the chance to meet everyone before starting!
50%?! Gimme pls! :cry2: What was the most memorable customer experience you've had and why does it stand out? :holmes:
Original post by barror1
50%
Not really something I wish I had known, but I wish I can the chance to meet my-then manager before I started my training! My (then- :laugh:)supervisor was the one who interviewed and hired me, so I guess I just had the chance to meet everyone before starting!
Original post by Themysticalegg
50%?! Gimme pls! :cry2: What was the most memorable customer experience you've had and why does it stand out? :holmes:

I had one woman absolutely rip my head off about a year ago because I accidentally put a gift card transaction through as exact change instead of giving her the change.
for context, the transaction came to £12. She gave me 2-pound coins and a gift card. There was like 10.20 on the gift card that she expect change for. Petty change. It was bad for me to assume when I gave incorrect change, but her attitude when I realised the issue was just bad. Like, it's £1.20. Don't kill me hun :laugh:
I managed to get it all sorted and let her go, found out yesterday that she had come in a few days after the incident to complain about my 'bad attitude'. My supervisor was ready to laugh her to the door. Silly women.
Original post by barror1
Hi guys! :hi:
As part of TSR's wonderful little careers project, I am here to answer any questions you might want to know about retail/ retail workers.
Stationary Store in VR.jpg
Some background:
- I work for a popular stationary chain which is a concession in a major department store.
- Since I was juggling this job with my A-levels, I have only really worked Sundays. However, my hours are really picking up over the summer!
- I will be my 2 year anniversary with the company in August! :dance:
- This is my second job- I have worked in leisure before :smile:

Of course, I won't be going into massive detail in order to keep my privacy intact, but apart from that... AMA!

Do you accept American Express
Original post by Blue_Cow

Of course! :excited:
THANK GOD THE AMOUNT OF TIMES I ASK THIS QUESTION ON A DAILY BASIS. :colonhash: You are a hero for asking that, need my air miles init! :tongue:
Original post by Blue_Cow
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah this is one of my favourite parts about retail, you just have to laugh it off! :biggrin: Glad your supervisor knew you didn't have a bad attitude though!
Original post by barror1
I had one woman absolutely rip my head off about a year ago because I accidentally put a gift card transaction through as exact change instead of giving her the change.
for context, the transaction came to £12. She gave me 2-pound coins and a gift card. There was like 10.20 on the gift card that she expect change for. Petty change. It was bad for me to assume when I gave incorrect change, but her attitude when I realised the issue was just bad. Like, it's £1.20. Don't kill me hun :laugh:
I managed to get it all sorted and let her go, found out yesterday that she had come in a few days after the incident to complain about my 'bad attitude'. My supervisor was ready to laugh her to the door. Silly women.
Yeah this is one of my favourite parts about retail, you just have to laugh it off! :biggrin: Glad your supervisor knew you didn't have a bad attitude though!

Yeah luckily! We are all a really small team that gets along well, so we don't take no scrubs :tongue:
how much is 500 sheets of computer paper ?
Original post by the bear
how much is 500 sheets of computer paper ?

Do not sell, but we do have notebooks! :laugh:
Original post by barror1
Do not sell, but we do have notebooks! :laugh:

:cry:
do you sell pencils ?

:dontknow:
THANK GOD THE AMOUNT OF TIMES I ASK THIS QUESTION ON A DAILY BASIS. :colonhash: You are a hero for asking that, need my air miles init! :tongue:

Original post by barror1
Of course! :excited:

Getting that sweet cashback

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending