The Student Room Group

Investment banking work experience / insight days

Hi :smile: ,

I really want to go into investment banking or maybe hedge funds/stockbroking in the future. I’ve just finished my gcses (predicted all 9s) and I’m going to do economics, maths, history and maybe further maths at a level.
For uni, I’d like to do e&m or ppe at Oxford, or maybe pure economics at Cambridge or lse.
Are there any work experience placements or insight days that I should def keep my eye on ??

*doesnt just have to be ib, could be finance or commercial banking in general - just mainly looking for opportunities to network and learn more about it.
Reply 1
Original post by dsidi
Hi :smile: ,

I really want to go into investment banking or maybe hedge funds/stockbroking in the future. I’ve just finished my gcses (predicted all 9s) and I’m going to do economics, maths, history and maybe further maths at a level.
For uni, I’d like to do e&m or ppe at Oxford, or maybe pure economics at Cambridge or lse.
Are there any work experience placements or insight days that I should def keep my eye on ??

*doesnt just have to be ib, could be finance or commercial banking in general - just mainly looking for opportunities to network and learn more about it.

Check out these guys, they help GCSE and A-Level students progress into banking. https://www.edgbastoncollege.co.uk
The guy who helps out use to work at JPM and UBS doing IBD.
All insight days are advertised directly through the careers websites of the firms in question.

To get into the habit of the style of recruitment to get into IBD I would advise start your research by making a list/spreadsheet of the firm’s you would like to possibly get some experience with, see if they have school programmes and insight days, and just keep a tab on those websites in the coming months.

You’ll likely need a CV for such events - so make sure yours is up to date, presented in an appropriate format, and see what other extra curricular activities you could get involved with at college to make sure your cv really stands out.
Reply 3
Thanks for letting me know. The pathway programmes sound so useful!. However, I'm based in Milton Keynes so commuting to Edgbaston isn't really feasible :frown:(((((

Original post by uxa595
Check out these guys, they help GCSE and A-Level students progress into banking. https://www.edgbastoncollege.co.uk
The guy who helps out use to work at JPM and UBS doing IBD.
Reply 4
Original post by BusMan21
All insight days are advertised directly through the careers websites of the firms in question.

To get into the habit of the style of recruitment to get into IBD I would advise start your research by making a list/spreadsheet of the firm’s you would like to possibly get some experience with, see if they have school programmes and insight days, and just keep a tab on those websites in the coming months.

You’ll likely need a CV for such events - so make sure yours is up to date, presented in an appropriate format, and see what other extra curricular activities you could get involved with at college to make sure your cv really stands out.

Yep that's what I'm doing at the moment! Hopefully I'll be able to get into some of them (fingers crossed). I've heard insight days and programmes are notoriously difficult to get into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending